External MFDs for Orbiter

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Rebuilt the project to work in Orbiter2016

Rebuilt the project in VS2015 to work in Orbiter2016. NO changes to the source were made. Just pointed it to the orbiter2016 lib's and built. I got lucky :p

Attachments

• VNCMFD-rev36_Orbiter_2016.zip
    2 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:

buznee

Reaction score
I just tried the repacked version for orbiter 2016! Works well, the only issue is the dialogue box does not show up on the MFD. Anything that can be done about that? Also I was curious if it would be possible to export the HUD graphics to VNC. This would allow you to build a real HUD for a sim cockpit :) Something I've always wanted to do.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys!
after 4 years of not using external MFDs I'm back)

And ran into the trouble. I totally forgot how to set up vnc connections properly.
So what I do:
1) Launch the Orbiter 2016 scenario with vncmfd addon installed and enabled.
2) On the PC, via CMD -> ipconfig I get my local IP address (for example 192.168.XXX.X)
3) Open installed VNC viewer on my android device.
4) Create new connection with my local IP and port 5900 (192.168.XXX.X:5900)
5) Click connect...

.. and nothing happening, " the connection attempt timed out".

So please could you tell me what step do I miss or do wrong? :shrug:

Appreciate any help!

Cheers! :probe:

---------- Post added 10-25-18 at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-24-18 at 06:30 PM ----------

Argh, bugger! My bad, I've typed another IP address. the right one should be in 192.168.X.XX format (IPv4 address). So now it works fine and dandy!:cheers:

Last edited:

potjoe

Reaction score
Hey guys!
after 4 years of not using external MFDs I'm back)

And ran into the trouble. I totally forgot how to set up vnc connections properly.
So what I do:
1) Launch the Orbiter 2016 scenario with vncmfd addon installed and enabled.
2) On the PC, via CMD -> ipconfig I get my local IP address (for example 192.168.XXX.X)
3) Open installed VNC viewer on my android device.
4) Create new connection with my local IP and port 5900 (192.168.XXX.X:5900)
5) Click connect...

.. and nothing happening, " the connection attempt timed out".

So please could you tell me what step do I miss or do wrong? :

Have you checked your firewall ? You need to add a rule for orbiter, allowing incoming and outgoing connections (both Orbiter.exe and orbiter_ng.exe) for the ports you setted up in the VNCMFD config file. No rule = no connection to other devices.

potjoe

Reaction score
Hey ! You have to check your firewall as well and create rules of exceptions for orbiter.exe and orbiter_ng.exe to allow incoming and outgoing connections for these two programs in UCP and TCP, for the ports you'll be using according to VNCMFD config file.

Hope it can help.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey ! You have to check your firewall as well and create rules of exceptions for orbiter.exe and orbiter_ng.exe to allow incoming and outgoing connections for these two programs in UCP and TCP, for the ports you'll be using according to VNCMFD config file.

Hope it can help.

Hey! :cheers:

Thank you for help!
The issue was just my little mistake..)) I've typed wrong IP address and sure enough it didn't work. Simple as that..

Now it's all honky dory, and I've been testing some 4 tablet setup for simpit configuration.

One question is bothering me still - how to type targer name on a tablet screen? Cause now, when you press TGT button, the target input dialog box appears on the main screen
I know it's possible (see post #108 - https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=476729&postcount=108 ) but I dont know how to implement it.. As far I can see kamaz is absent for quite some time.. With this feature I could simply install some sort of Bluetooth keyboard (like in airbus for example - https://i.stack.imgur.com/rLdZ3.jpg ) to input Target name into a tablet using physical keys.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:

cptCory

Reaction score
Greetings all, thanks for this addon. Just installed the rev36 for Orbiter 2016 and VNC viewer from Play store.

One issue though I hope someone can assist with. The sim is lagging quite severly with the module enabled. Any remedies?

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Greetings all, thanks for this addon. Just installed the rev36 for Orbiter 2016 and VNC viewer from Play store.

One issue though I hope someone can assist with. The sim is lagging quite severly with the module enabled. Any remedies?

Hey there!

Hmm, does it happen when you use d3d9 client? If so, try to launch it from usual Orbiter launchpad (orbiter.exe) and tell us a result

Cheers!:cheers:

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Yep, it's confirmed.
I've launched orbiter with d3d9 client with VNC module and it lagged like a hell. With the module switch off everything's honky dory.

GodAtum

Reaction score
Website
godatum.blogspot.com
Just found these ... not completely correct but might be great for a pro cockpit?

https://www.siminnovations.com/hardware/product/59-helionix

helionix-800x800.jpg

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

DLONE

Reaction score
Hi,

Very old thread here but maybe someone reads anyway.

I come across this nice addon (VNCMFD), and i imagine if someone knows how to change the VNC stream's color depth. As i see it uses 32bpp, I need 16 bpp (RGB 565 format).
Is there any .ini option for that? (i didn't find any so far)
Or it needs to be changed in the code? In case, someone who familiar with the code base?

Any help will be appreciated.

Finally, as it is my first post here, let me say thanks for the nice sim which i'm very beginner with, but i'm totally taken of it. Also for the nice add-ons, like VNCMFD and particularly DeltaGliderIV and more to discover. Last but not least for the great forum.

Cheers from Sweden,

DLONE

Jacques Lees

Reaction score
There used to be lots of activities but less and less nowadays.... Thx for the rebuild of the program into Orbiter 2016, I haven't tried VNCMFD yet, I'm using OrbConnect and ExtMFD right now. I'm thinking why can't this be integrated into OrbConnect anyway.

Attachments

• Photo (1).jpg
    Photo (1).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 19

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
There used to be lots of activities but less and less nowadays.... Thx for the rebuild of the program into Orbiter 2016, I haven't tried VNCMFD yet, I'm using OrbConnect and ExtMFD right now. I'm thinking why can't this be integrated into OrbConnect anyway.
Integrating MFDs into OrbConnect would be awesome indeed..:coffee:
:hailprobe: