Updates ESA's ATV-3 "Edoardo Amaldi"

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
4 hours away from the launch.

Spaceflight Now: Mission Status Center:
2150 GMT (5:50 p.m. EDT)Officials say the weather outlook for tonight's launch is favorable so far. There are scattered clouds and rain showers around the French Guiana spaceport, but the activity should diminish later this evening.

The countdown continues on schedule with no major issues.

ESA:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
An hour until the launch.

CBS News Space: European cargo ship prepped for launch to space station

Spaceflight Now:
  • Mission Status Center:
    0255 GMT Fri. (10:55 p.m. EDT Thurs.)ESA's ATV mission manager Massimo Cislaghi reports the status board is all green in the Jupiter control room at the Guiana Space Center, indicating all systems and weather conditions are acceptable for liftoff. The Ariane 5 rocket has an instantaneous opportunity for launch at 0434:05 GMT (12:34:05 a.m. EDT).

• Ariane launch ground track
    groundtrack.jpg

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
And we've had a liftoff.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I saw Arianespace commercials courtesy of NASA TV..... :rofl:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was amused terribly when I saw this:

fGdmO.png

Might be normal but certainly looks like a windows error message to me :p

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

And first stage sep!

W8jfR.png

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

fGdmO.png

That was an error. That's a standard look of the "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" error reporting dialog in Windows XP. The visualization disappeared after that. :p

EDIT TO ADD: Like this one, but in French:
Windows_Error.gif

And they should have clicked on the "Send Error Report". :lol:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Successful separation of ATV-3.

SPACE.com:
Florida Today:
Aviation Week: ESA's Third ATV Lifts Off With Supplies for the International Space Station

^ LOL @ 8:23 ^

Activity at ESA's 5.5m Santa Maria station, Azores, just prior to tracking the overhead pass of Ariane 5 VA205. Lift-off came at 05:34CET, and SMA station picked up telemetry 12 minutes later.

Here's calendar event for docking to ISS. You can request a reminder for that event here.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 25/03/2012.

ATV Photography:
In a last-minute addition to their timeline, between 7:55 AM - 8:15 AM GMT, CDR Dan Burbank, FE-5 Andre Kuipers & FE-6 Don Pettit shot long-lens photography of the ATV-3 (Automated Transfer Vehicle-3) cargo ship as it passed underneath the ISS at a closest range of 104 km. Purpose: Ground analysis of the photos to verify full deployment of the ATV proximity operations antenna boom. [There have been indications that the boom may not be fully deployed (no "boom locked" signal received after deployment after launch). For the photography, Dan, Andre & Don carefully removed window scratch panes 5 & 6 in the Cupola and later reinstalled them, using PPE (Personal Protective Equipment (dust masks, nitrile gloves, photo/TV lens cloth) to protect the window scratch panes and primary pressure pane glass.]

There's more on this issue in the ESA ATV blog:
One minor issue was seen during the Launch and Early Orbit Phase (LEOP) — it was noted that the ATV’s Proximity Link Antenna Boom (the Antenna Deployable Boom or ADB) had correctly deployed, but the final sensor confirmation that the boom was locked into place was not received.

Yesterday, since ATV is orbiting just 100km below the ISS, it was decided to ask the crew to get a picture for a visual confirmation that the antenna was in place. The ATV attitude was accordingly manoeuvred a bit, so that the astronauts would get a good view of the antenna boom the next time ATV passed by below.

Before the astronauts could do so however, at 09:03 CEST this morning, the telemetry status from ATV switched over to ‘ADB Locked’. End of problem.

But what caused the sensor to switch to green? ESA’s Daniel Firre, the Mission Director on console this morning when it switched, says a number of causes are possible. It could be vibrations from the manoeuvre, exposure of a boom element to solar heat, or even the unfreezing of a small piece that might have been blocking the mechanism or the sensor.

Given that the ISS report says the photography was performed, but the ATV blog says it wasn't, I am unsure as to the exact status of the photography. But, interestingly, this same issue was also seen on ATV-2 last year, for which the STS-134 crew had to photograph the ADB during their ISS flyaround - full story in the ATV blog:
“The reason we asked for the images is that there was some delay in the locking of the boom after deployment and we wanted to see if there was anything to be learnt from the imagery that might shed some light on the reason for this delay,” says ESA’s Nico Dettmann, Head of the ATV Production Programme.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would say trust the man who took the photos to know whether photos were taken :p

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

fGdmO.png

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

And first stage sep!

W8jfR.png

Terrible timing to have a CTD is during an actual rocket launch...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
ESA: ATV music video: Back at the ISS:
26 March 2012

A new music video by Beatles tribute band Love & Mersey celebrates the return of ATV to the International Space Station and sends a rocking musical greeting to ESA Astronaut André Kuipers, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko and the Station’s entire crew.

After a spectacular night-time liftoff from Kourou on 23 March, ESA's third Automated Transfer vehicle, Edoardo Amaldi, is set for docking with the International Space Station on Wednesday.

In space, André Kuipers and Oleg Kononenko will keep close watch on the docking, ensuring everything goes as planned.

On Earth, another team will be following the mission closely: Dutch group Love & Mersey is one of Europe’s top Beatles tribute bands and they've recorded a lively musical video, Back at the ISS.

{...}

Discovery News: Orbiting Cargo Ship Photographed From the Ground:

6a00d8341bf67c53ef0168e9422e5e970c-pi

SPACE.com: How to Spot a Huge Space Cargo Ship in Night Sky This Week

Arianespace: Photo feature: A close-up view of Arianespace's Ariane 5 liftoff with the Automated Transfer Vehicle

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 26/03/2012.

ATV-3 Update:
Ground analysis of the long-lens photography conducted by the crew yesterday has confirmed that the Proximity Antenna boom is properly deployed and in the locked position. ESA reports that ATV-3 is in good shape for rendezvous and docking.