Question Engine gimbal MFD

wllmpeek

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of keeping it real and like to fly the CEV. I use the Comet 2 with UMRS attached, launched aboard a HCLV Hyperion rocket to fly lunar orbital missions, building an orbiting lunar station. Problem is, with this configuration, the CEV yaws to the left even with prograde engaged during main engine ignition. I've looked at Precision MFD, (I don't know what it does but seems useless for my needs.) and Thrust Control MFD (Supports gimballing for Delta Glider but not for CEV plus it comes with no instructions so, USELESS!)

Is there another engine gimballing MFD out there I'm missing? I know from reading the Apollo Flight Journals that the real Apollo had a ullage software that engaged linear rcs forward for ten seconds the settle the propellants, then 10% main engine to allow the main engine to find and gimbal to the proper CoG for the CM/SM, LM stack before increasing to full power. Is there something like that out there in the Orbiter World?

Castor

Reaction score
Problem is, with this configuration, the CEV yaws to the left even with prograde engaged during main engine ignition.

As you guessed, the problem is due to CoG being slightly displaced from the line of thrust.

Is there another engine gimballing MFD out there I'm missing?

It is not possible to implement a generic gimballing MFD for all vessels. AFAIK, gimballing depends on the vessel coding and is not possible on spacecraft3 vessels.

What I would suggest as a remedy to this problem, is to shed the extra weight (most likely, the URMS) or to try and balance the mass on both sides.

wllmpeek

Reaction score
What I would suggest as a remedy to this problem, is to shed the extra weight (most likely, the URMS) or to try and balance the mass on both sides.

I suppose I could re-attach the URMS to the front of the Comet2 inline with the thrust vector but this isn't realistic. In the real would gimballing would be incorporated.

So what you're saying is I or someone, would have to write a specific MFD for the CEV to be able to engine gimbal?

The CEV is getting so close to reality, it's amazing no one has written hyper accurate addons like the shuttle fleet or AMSO yet.?.? I can program but am horrible at it. It takes me five times as long to figure things out that an experienced programmer can do.

I know I've seen gimballing in AMSO, I wonder if that coding can be incorporated to the current CEV addon so no one has to reinvent the wheel???

Castor

Reaction score
I suppose I could re-attach the URMS to the front of the Comet2 inline with the thrust vector but this isn't realistic.

Or you could add one more URMS on the opposite side.

So what you're saying is I or someone, would have to write a specific MFD for the CEV to be able to engine gimbal?

An MFD would not be required, just some code defining which direction the engine thrust will act when gimballed.

I know I've seen gimballing in AMSO, I wonder if that coding can be incorporated to the current CEV addon so no one has to reinvent the wheel???

I am not sure if AMSO has gimballing, but even if it does the source code is not freely available. Also, gimballing may have vessel specific properties that need to be factored in. These threads are useful if you understand the basics of coding:

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32665

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10605

Also which CEV addon are you using ?