Ecliptic to equatorial coordinates in lua

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For a lua script I want to calculate a state vector from an initial state vector and elapsed time. I know how to do this without perturbations. If I want to include disturbing acceleration due to the oblateness (J2) I need the equatorial state vector.
I think in C++ you can transform the coordinates by using oapiGetPlanetObliquityMatrix, but this doesn't work in lua. I tried many different variants e.g. with spherical equatorial coordinates (longitude, latitude and radius) but I never got accurate results or no velocity vector.

So my question is: How do you calculate the rotation matrix or is there another way to get the equatorial state vector (and thereby the orbital elements) in lua?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried a few more things and I still get a small difference between the calculated and actual equatorial coordinates (as seen in the scenario editor).

I noticed something strange in the Scenario Editor: Shouldn't be the difference between the geocentric ecliptic coordinate system and the fixed equatorial coordinate system only one rotation around the x-axis (earth's obliquity, around 23.4°)? The x values of the ecliptitc and equatorial coordinates are a little different. I think I am missing out on something.

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Precession maybe?

(just guessing)

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Precession maybe?

(just guessing)

:facepalm: And of course we have a nice document about that in the Technotes folder. I think that will help me, now I have something to read :)