Earthquakes at Yellowstone

steph

Reaction score
Nope. But it makes the situation worse. A little gloomy would be nice...I meant something like total blackout, as black as a cloudy moonless night.
And yes, there would be far greater problems:p

Moonwalker

Reaction score
The average value of a possible timespan between yellowstone eruptions, which varies between 600.000 to 730.00 years, is almost useless. 3 dates do not enable a reliable prediction at all (just some authors and journalists imply an accuracy anyway).

Anyway, a caldera-forming eruption is the most improbable scenario. The most probable scenario is hydrothermal eruptions, followed by small lava eruptions, so say serious geologists.

But even if a big caldera-forming eruption should take place, I doubt that this would be the end of modern civilization on the whole. But it certainly would be critical for emerging countries and third world countries, although a possible global average temperature decrease is nothing more than theory for now (a climate change is always assumed to be bad anyway, no matter if it's about warming or cooling). I think that modern civilization even will be the reason why a lot of people would survive. I don't see any reason for no electricity, no Internet/TV and no food. Certain men can, and will survive some surreal scenarios.

No past yellowstone eruption, nor any other event in Earth's history, was able to prevent the globe being colonized by humans and modern civilizations like it is the case at present. This shows how flexible the nature really is (and modern men even more).

These days people believe in the ability to colonize the Universe. People even believe in the ability to control the Earth's climate. But people don't believe in a survival in event of a yellowstone eruption. Funny.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
There was a 2005 documentary about this called Supervolcano (screened in Australia); it was rather scary! Especially the bit about breathing in ash and having it turn to concrete in one's lungs! The ash cloud that would spread across the USA would pretty much destroy it as a country (millions killed, and the survivors fleeing north or south as refugees).

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it was rather scary! Especially the bit about breathing in ash and having it turn to concrete in one's lungs!

Well, you gotta go some way. That one sounds pretty interesting. If you're lucky, your body will be mummified and found by scientists in a few thousand years like the residents of Pompei. You're really cool if you can pull off an air guitar stance in the last moment. The scientists will be quite puzzled about what it was you were doing. If this happens, I'm going to try the Star Man stance from the Rush logo (except I'll be wearing jeans, wouldn't want to gross out the scientists):

Starman.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Could ash actually reach low earth orbit objects? That would be a monster job of a sand blasting. I think I've heard such heights being possible with supervolcano eruptions.

Would be very unlikely, even for just reaching 100 km altitude, you need a higher speed than even the most explosive eruptions produced.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I probably incorrectly remembered a Mega Disasters episode. Aside from ash, How much the atmosphere itself might be bulged upwards directly above such blasts is interesting scientifically in my mind. Like a depth charge blowing under a water surface. Might not be much, but with solar wind added into the equation it may be of some minute factor a bit higher up. Despite it's likely the least of anyones worries then too.

EJ316

Reaction score
This thread has re-ignited my urge to build a bunker in my back garden. I'd better start stockpiling food and water.

bujin

Reaction score
This thread has re-ignited my urge to build a bunker in my back garden. I'd better start stockpiling food and water.

Bit behind, aintcha? I started building a bunker in my back garden the moment Sarah Palin was named as McCain's running mate... ;)

steph

Reaction score
It seems the swarm has pretty much ended. The intensity is much lower now, and there are fewer earthquakes.:p

andysim

Reaction score
Probe says no. The world is not ending. Not for a few weeks anyway so enough time to get building your bunker.

Hail Probe!:lol: