Question Drawing lines on the sky

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am working on a model of NASA's Kepler spacecraft. It's mission is to stare at a patch of the sky and look for Earth-sized planets in that patch. It's a really interesting mission, but kind of boring to fly, since the mission consists of

*Launch to earth-trailing solar orbit
*Stare at target patch for 30 days
*Point antenna at Earth and send back results
*Lather, rinse, repeat

I'm only even doing it because I am involved in the mission operations.

It would be fun if I could draw the target area on the sky (like this: http://kepler.nasa.gov/sci/basis/images/MilkyWay+FOV-CRoberts copy.jpg). Any idea how to make additional constellation lines, in a form that is convenient for the users of my addon to install?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wouldn't this be better put in the Kepler HUD for example of the generic cockpit?

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
While that would work, it would be quite a bit more figuring out on my part (which I'm not afraid to do if necessary), and more importantly, wouldn't be visible from outside of the spacecraft. I was thinking of something more like the constellation lines or markers on a planet.

It looks like I would have to do something like edit constell.bin and constell2.bin and distriubte those. Does anyone know about the formats of those files?

Edit: I found what I was looking for, the markers in the SOL folder.

Last edited: