News Doctor Who...again!

Columbia42

Reaction score
Hmmm... Haven't seen him in anything else but I'm sort of glad they broke the trend with the Doctor getting younger and younger. Seemed a bit incongruous, especially with the many references to his impending death. Well I can't say I'm sad that Smith is leaving, Tennant was far better, in my opinion.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's certainly an interesting choice, like Sylvester McCoy after the more active Davison and the totally flamboyant Colin Baker. The new Doctors, beginning with Ecclestone, have been strongly action-oriented (under the Tennant tenure, "RUN" was the keyword). Probably with the 55-years old Capaldi we'll see a more restrained, but more calculating Doctor.

Still, I'm sad Smith has to go. His style grew on me fast and he's an amazing actor with incredible flexibility for his age: he can go from manic and crazy to heartbreakingly sad in an instant and he's probably the more emotional of all Doctors so far.

And now that I think of it, some time ago as an April Fool I had sent a Whovian mailing list in an hour of turmoil upon "disclosing" Sean Bean would have been the new Doctor. I think he would have kicked Dalek ass a *lot*. :cool:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You wanna see this guy in action? Look up the movie 'In The Loop'

He is absolutely brilliant. Brings the art of cursing to a whole new echelon.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or watch the episode "The Fires of Pompeii" (10th Doctor).

MattBaker

Reaction score
peter-capaldi-doctor-who.jpg

Someone's already using his new TARDIS?

MattBaker

Reaction score
I never wore a scarf or exclaimed Geronimo, so...probably not.

Kendo

Reaction score
I guess I think Tom Baker was good. He had a strange kind of eerieness.
Even in real life he has. I met him several times, he acts and sounds the same on and off screen.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
John Pertwee was "my" Doctor, but I've also seen plenty of the Troughton episodes too and agree that he did a fantastic job. It's also evident that Smith studied some of the 2nd Doctor, he copied some of the mannerisms very well.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Even in real life he has. I met him several times, he acts and sounds the same on and off screen.

There's alot out there that just play themselves, then get awards for acting like themselves. Never worked out why that was.

Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor, at a time when I was really into DR Who. Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Peter Davison really :censored: it all up. I have to say, Matt Smith had a style, but the storylines are so BAD.
I think alot of people are loyal because they watched it when they where a kid and encourage their own kids to watch. It's an over inflated franchise that had it's day years ago. But the BBC can't let a good money spinner go can they. What else do they offer in SCI-FI now, that isn't beaten to death by so many other program producers.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Harsh, but fair..

Must admit I grew up with William Hartnell, Daleks, scary, hid behind the settee.
Patrick Troughton was more fun , not as old.
Saturday evening viewing, unique stuff at the time.
Lost interst as I got older, as you do.

You have to admit the production values are much better than they have ever been, looking forward to what Mr Capaldi can do with it. Always enjoyed his Thick Of It attitude, but then he's a Scot...tin helmet on.

The one clip I can refer to regarding Thick Of It, everyting else would have bad language:

N.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Matt Smith had a style, but the storylines are so BAD.

I attribute most of this to Steven Moffat's writing/producing style. The second half of Series 7, practically every episode felt like filler. There was little to no cohesion at all.

Moffat's style of letting each writer 'do their own thing' and 'make The Doctor their own' each week is at least part of the reason (I think) the show has had such a cheap feel as of late. Does anyone else feel this way?

There isn't much of a "writers' room" on Doctor Who because I think that's important about Doctor Who is that each show feels different. ...I want each different writer's version of Doctor Who. ...I don't want them to impersonate me, I don't want them to impersonate what they think Doctor Who is..." - Excerpts from comments made by Steven Moffat during a Q&A, San Diego ComiCon 2013

Russell T. Davies had a much better grasp of what the show needed in my opinion.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There's a lot of people that think Moffat is killing the show by doing this. I'm almost surprised that there wasn't an Moffat effigy burning during ComicCon.

That being said, I think it gives a good testimonial to Matt Smith acting ability to make some sort of coherent portrayal of the "Doctor" given the various writers. I'd rather cycle a group of writer in and out as the Doctor regenerates (hence the personality change from one Doc to another).

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
There's a lot of people that think Moffat is killing the show by doing this. I'm almost surprised that there wasn't an Moffat effigy burning during ComicCon.

That being said, I think it gives a good testimonial to Matt Smith acting ability to make some sort of coherent portrayal of the "Doctor" given the various writers. I'd rather cycle a group of writer in and out as the Doctor regenerates (hence the personality change from one Doc to another).

I might join in on that effigy burning. The last couple seasons are disappointing and the hype lately is really making me feel like it's all about marketing now, rather than substance.
The Whovian following is expanding rapidly, but I don't share the sentiments of the new Whovians who think everything Who is great (and many DID have the idea forced on them by other fans), who think it's still clever, and who buy into the hyped-up media events.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Moffat's style of letting each writer 'do their own thing' and 'make The Doctor their own' each week is at least part of the reason (I think) the show has had such a cheap feel as of late. Does anyone else feel this way?

By letting different writers lose as he did, well it's like that game where one will draw the head, another the upper body and someone else will draw the lower. You get a mismatched image which is the way I see it. Why did they toy with the Doctors continuity, I found it all a bore. It's like a TimeLords Dynasty with a touch of "WormHole Extreme" and if you watch Stargate then you'll know what I mean.
Personally, even though I like the Doctor, I have a low opinion of him. He's a loner, the last of his specie and why, because he was a Tardis-Jacker. He stole his ride, people. And like most punk kids in a convertable, he picks up the birds and everytime one goes through the screen, he picks up another. Like the humans in StarTrek, he searches the universe for he knows not what, playing Grand Theft Tardis with the soles he encounters. He may be the Doctor, but he ay no Jedi.

Peter Capaldi seems ok to play the Doctor. He reminds me of this guy...

http://www.moviepilot.de/files/images/0858/2894/bond-boesewichte-elliot-carver.jpg

Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies. I think Peter Capaldi is a good chioce.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You really need to check out this guy's videos. He's a great VFX artist who wants to work for the BBC, but they haven't hired him yet.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
There's alot out there that just play themselves, then get awards for acting like themselves. Never worked out why that was.

Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor, at a time when I was really into DR Who. Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Peter Davison really :censored: it all up. I have to say, Matt Smith had a style, but the storylines are so BAD.
I think alot of people are loyal because they watched it when they where a kid and encourage their own kids to watch. It's an over inflated franchise that had it's day years ago. But the BBC can't let a good money spinner go can they. What else do they offer in SCI-FI now, that isn't beaten to death by so many other program producers.

I admit I was a fan of the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker incarnations, and lasted a little into the Peter Davison period. But it's hard to believe it can still stay original after fifty years.

Bob Clark