Desktop-ish Physics demo-toys.

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I want to build a few different desktop or shelf size, cool looking Physics demonstrations. I am posting this to farm ideas...

Cloud Chamber - I have a Peltier cooler. But i would need to find a suitable energetic sample to make it work well I suppose. I am not sure if its a good idea or not.

Gravity - I love this one. The huge ones you see setup in schools for demonstrations. I tried to make one with panty-hose as the "space-time" but it it stretched out really quick.

Your Ideas - Your ideas.

Thanks!

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've always liked the radiometer (took me a while to remember the name) - the glass globe with "endlessly" rotating vanes inside, powered by sunlight.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

I just re-read this and realised you really want something buildable at home - and all of my suggestions involved glassware, so not very useful!

How about a Newton's Cradle thing (five steel balls on string). Make sure you build a solid frame though, I have one of the kids' toy plastic ones and it stops very quickly because the plastic frame is too flexible.

And if you can do some electronics (Arduino or PIC maybe) how about a pendulum with a sensor to time the swings and calculate "g"? (It should depend on the pendulum length, swing time and nothing else. It's been a long time since I looked at the proper equation though!)

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I love each and everyone one you, and I mean that. I spent a lot of time here reading and lurking. Everytime I post something searching for gold I end up with Diamonds. You all are so awesome!

Thank you for the ideas! I have several raspberry pi's (B models) in my possession and have been searching for a way to put them into use besides as a Retro-gaming consoles. Tomorrow I am going to look through my bins of **** and see if I cant put some of these ideas together. This is great, Thank so much again!!!!! :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Something that's cool is a camera obscura. Basically, it's a camera that substitutes a viewing screen for film. You can build it with a simple lens, a box, and some tissue paper for the viewing screen. You also need a dark cloth to view it with. You can get really cheap lenses from Edmund Scientific or other science warehouses. In bright sunlight you can even use a pinhole lens.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I use an acrylic fire syringe in my thermodynamics class to demonstrate (near) isentropic compression of air and compression ignition of fuel in Diesel engines. Hunters and backpackers use a similar thing called a fire piston to ignite tinder for a fire.

http://www.xump.com/science/Fire-Syringe.cfm?SID=12&gclid=CK2X-9-_vcUCFQkXHwodN0wARg

Fire-Syringe-300A.jpg

Fabricating one wouldn't be too difficult if you have access to a small lathe. You just need a solid rod to act as a piston and put it in a snug fitting metal tube that can act as the cylinder. If you can lathe a notch into the rod for a rubber o-ring, that completes the seal. The clear acrylic is nice though as you can actually see the paper or cotton ignite when the plunger is depressed. The kids in class like it.