OHM Deltaglider EX

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: schimz

The DeltaGliderEX is a modified DeltaGlider. It's a BIG DeltaGlider.

v101113 : Same as beta 2009, just upload it here.

DOWNLOAD

Keatah

Reaction score
does anyone know how to get this thing in orbit? It seems woefully underpowered!! Full thrust and it takes forever to even reach 50k ft!

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
It is basically a low thrust scramjet. Yes, it takes about an orbit to get INTO orbit.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is another DGEX out there as a "beta", it's by the same author and it solves some of the "underpowered" problem. But...
It still takes a while to get into orbit, you can't just point toward the sky and let 'er rip. The DGEX is a wonderful bird, but you've got to fly it into orbit.

And for peace in the household, don't ever do the takeoff roll with the computer tied into the home surround-sound, as awesome as it was, I don't think the wife has forgiven me yet.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
And for peace in the household, don't ever do the takeoff roll with the computer tied into the home surround-sound, as awesome as it was, I don't think the wife has forgiven me yet.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Epic!

Bendarr

Reaction score
I've found that having the belly hover jets firing does help a little bit with this craft.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
To get into orbit with this craft, lift off and get to your target alignment. turn your trim all the way up and go to lunch. Like I said; it takes the better part of an orbit to get INTO orbit (it builds speed ridiculously slow). You will climb for a few km and then sink back down about half the distance you just climbed. Lather, rinse, repeat. At about 90km I think it is, you will hit orbital altitude and cease the 2 step up 1 step back process. From there it is a simple matter of continuing on until you reach orbital speed.

Now getting the beast back down...that is another matter altogether.

God my connection sucks. I've dc'd 4 times just in the time it took for me to write this response, now my connection has failed entirely and it could take hours before I can actually POST this response :(

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To get into orbit with this craft, lift off and get to your target alignment. turn your trim all the way up and go to lunch. Like I said; it takes the better part of an orbit to get INTO orbit (it builds speed ridiculously slow). You will climb for a few km and then sink back down about half the distance you just climbed. Lather, rinse, repeat. At about 90km I think it is, you will hit orbital altitude and cease the 2 step up 1 step back process. From there it is a simple matter of continuing on until you reach orbital speed.
That's actually a fairly inefficient way of doing it. If you pay attention, you notice that the thrust level falls off steeply twice: once at 30km altitude, once at 60km altitude (this should probably be pressure-based, but it's based directly on altitude, which doesn't really make much sense because it's 30/60km on every planet, but anyway). In the DGEX 09 beta, these altitudes are different and you can see the exhaust change color (and sound) at the time.

What you want to do is use full up trim until you get to just below the transition altitude, then level off and build speed until full down trim can no longer keep you below the line. Cross over the transition altitude and slowly bring back in full nose-up trim before you get to the next transition altitude, then repeat the process.

This allows the maximum acceleration at the minimum drag points. I'm pretty sure there's a comment about this in the documentation...

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
This looks like an X-48B. Is the EX based it? :thumbup:

483558main_X-48_status_09_21_10_226.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/status_reports/X-48B_status_09_21_10.html

Beautiful ship! The engine animations are nice, although the big white plasma engine bit looks a tad strange. Any chance of a fully working VC?

Last edited:

Arthurnus

Reaction score
Hello,

I have download your deltaglider-ex and it has a future "reheat" for afterburners. The problem is that I can't use the reheaters. First of all, I dont know the keyboard functions to throttle them.

And I cant throttle them with my mouse either. Whenever I do click my mouse on one of the 4 reheat throttle joysticks. It then only selects 1 of 4 joysticks. And the problem is that my mouse doesnt release the throttle until i click on the screen but when I do the throttle joystick jumps back to idle.

Basically my mouse is at warfare with my orbiter GUI.

Any help would be awesome.:hailprobe:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello,

I have download your deltaglider-ex and it has a future "reheat" for afterburners. The problem is that I can't use the reheaters. First of all, I dont know the keyboard functions to throttle them.

And I cant throttle them with my mouse either. Whenever I do click my mouse on one of the 4 reheat throttle joysticks. It then only selects 1 of 4 joysticks. And the problem is that my mouse doesnt release the throttle until i click on the screen but when I do the throttle joystick jumps back to idle.

Basically my mouse is at warfare with my orbiter GUI.

Any help would be awesome.:hailprobe:
Click in the very middle of the four throttles and drag up to the top, then release the mouse button.

Trekker1986

I Jam Ships Into Cargo Boxes
Reaction score
I tried installing the DG-EX (dropped everything in the right spots) and it kills Orbiter!

DaveBowman

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
very nice!
It's a good supplement to some other add-ons:

I have long been searching for a craft that could lift those [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4916"]Space 1999 / Moonbase Alpha[/ame] containers from earth into orbit (where an Eagle could pick them up). These containers fit nicely into the DG-EX.

For the impatient: You can use kulch's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=421"]TX[/ame] as a first stage to carry the DG-EX halfway into orbit. The DG-EX has a good size to ride on the TX. Give both vehicles 30% fuel (otherwise they are too heavy to take off), and you get a nice Sänger style tandem.

I noticed there is a high gain antenna hidden inside the fuselage. Can it be deployed?

Frost

Reaction score
Power solution

The plasma drive if realistic proves you can get a shuttle into deep space. this is good for hopping moons. But the sheer weight of any winged vehicle means its better suited for surface to LEO, maybe even geostationary. Therefore my suggestion would be to replace the plasma drive with two or three additional hybrid engines and use the DGEx for station and ship building and fueling in orbit. This should solve many problems.

LTrotsky

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is one of the first add-on craft I have installed, and I like it very much - nevermind the amount of time it takes to get into orbit, its still a gem.

One problem : I have a DGex on the pad in KSC. On the external view, there is a loud engine sound, but all the engines (all the autos, the main and plasma, the rcs, everything, is *off*). This is somewhat annoying - only because it suggests something is wrong. Anyone else notice this?

Also, not precisely on topic but I am struggling here, I have UMmu and UCGO, and I (think I) understand that a vehicle has to be re-compiled to use these add-ons; are there any vehicles available that are already UMmu and UCGO compatible, beside the Arrow?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I always equate the noise to be an APU, providing electrical power on the ground and away from an external power connection.

There is a UMMUFA add-on that will allow you to make any vessel UMMU compatable (nearly), [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3509"]UMMUFA v.2.0[/ame]

For UGCO, there are a few work arounds, such as a UGCO pallet that fits in an XR-5 cargo bay like this. [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4572"]XR5 UCGO Cargo Platform v2.0[/ame]
Something like this would be great for the DGEX.

LTrotsky

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I always equate the noise to be an APU, providing electrical power on the ground and away from an external power connection.

There is a UMMUFA add-on that will allow you to make any vessel UMMU compatable (nearly), UMMUFA v.2.0

For UGCO, there are a few work arounds, such as a UGCO pallet that fits in an XR-5 cargo bay like this. XR5 UCGO Cargo Platform v2.0
Something like this would be great for the DGEX.

Thank you for this. I thought something was indeed messed up with my DGex. Not just me then.

And yes, wanted to convert the old DG to UMMU compatibility, then realized I had to install VC++, and do a compile. I immediately looked for ships that people had already done this way . . . didn't find what I was looking for. So thanks, again. UCGO is the next step. :tiphat:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's an APU - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_power_unit"]Auxiliary power unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]