Project Delta Glider Prototype

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Through out all the projects I have started and never finished I have always loved the Delta Glider. I lived in the GD code for about the first year That I was into orbiter. One issue I had was that as a sample even after I knew what I was doing I could not take control of the models and learn from the code and the models together. So over the past 2 years or so I have been rebuilding the Delta Glider so I could understand how the virtual cockpit worked. The Delta Glider model is 99% rebuilt with all new uv maps at 2048 x 2048 for the Hull and wings. Parts have been combined to reduce the qty of code use to animate them. The virtual cockpit has been rebuilt and moved to match the ships cockpit. I am slowly going through the vc and learning how to hook all this back up so the vc will not be done soon.
The slow part is that all the parts for the vc have been hard coded with numbers so it takes time to track all this down. When both the models are sorted out all animations groups will be named so when the model is rexported the code is not broken.

First goal of my project is to release a complete rebuilt Delta glider with no up grades. Rewritten animation code to mach the 2 models. The second part may be a little harder to do and that would be the models. I would like to release the new models so that they can be imported into the modeling software of any ones choice and they could use this to understand how the code and model work together. I think the collada format may be the best format to do this.

Second goal would be to add ummu controls to the vc and 2d panels.

Third goal is with the understand of the vc model and code to start building on bord systems that can be repaired. IF you can click a switch you can also use a probe to check for power on a circuit board.

This is just my ideas so let me know what you think.:)
Russ

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Sounds awesome Russ! :thumbup:

Great work! :)

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A look at my work

Here are 2 links
http://www.laurels-galaxy.com/Orbiter/add_ons/D_prototypeB1.zip
http://www.laurels-galaxy.com/Orbiter/add_ons/DG_prototype_paintkit.zip

The first is to the add-on and the second is to the paint kit.

Here is what I would like to do next and It is very basic. I would like to model a rocket engine and make it modular to the ship. Have it held on by attachment points. A maintenance 2d panel with some switches to disconnect the engine. The engine will have a config file with it that is load when it is attached to the ship. to start with the 2d panel will have one switch and one read out. The switch will be for attach/detach and the read out will be for time used.

The dream would be to bring the engine into a lab and rebuild it.

I know this is outside of my time line but it's what I want to work on most.:)
Russ

Here is a link to some pictures of the mock up I am using to work out the code.

Last edited:

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
engines attached

Thanks for the feed back. the rocket I am using now is just a quick mock up. I am really looking forward to building this hypothetical rocket. I know I can build in level of detail so when the rocket is being rebuilt their will be a lot of eye candy. Now that I think about it I can put a wrench on a bolt and remove the bolt just like switches are thrown in the vc.

Thanks
Russ

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK now that Orbiter 2010 is out I am going to finish this project. I see this as more of a learning aid then a real add on so I am going to change the name to Delta Glider Trainer.

First stage is the base Delta Glider Trainer with hover doors added. A manual with an outline of all the steps to add the switch to the 2d panel.

Second stage will be a complete Virtual cockpit with hover door switch added and a Manual with an outline of all the steps to add the switch to the Virtual cockpit.