Delta Glider IV - Lunar Landing Photo Shoot

brandonman

Reaction score
Well, today I finally conducted a landing on the Moon. I have been trying for 2 days to get this down. The first try, I did my burn with TransferMFD, and I thought it looked as though I was off. Turns out, I was dead on... I sped up time to at least 10,000x, and suddenly slammed DIRECTLY, dead center, into the moon. Turns out, my burn was perfect. ;)

Yesterday, I got myself into a very stable Lunar orbit, launched from the DG-IV Docked at ISS scenario. (As was the first one). I then tried a ton of different 'methods' for landing, all of which failed, because they were my own invention. Retro-grade burning at the Apoapsis until you have an 'orbit' that takes you straight down at the surface, and then burning your main engines while facing directly upwards, does not work...

Today, I watched the Go Play In Space video with the lunar landing, and tried it again today. After a really rough time coming in, I finally landed it perfectly. I wound up having to direct almost all of my RCS Fuel to the main to keep my hover engines going during the last few seconds. That was one rough ride, but thankfully I made it. Now, time for the photo-shoot pictures!

lunarflag.jpg

flag2.jpg

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
congrats!
the DGIV has an autopilot (pro200spec7) that does auto-hover for you. You can even set a descent/ascent rate. Very useful

brandonman

Reaction score
Ah, that takes away the fun. (AKA - I didn't think about that. :rofl:)

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Your burn was too short then, if you crashed into the Moon. Or you did the LOI at the wrong time.

brandonman

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured out that I had set up transfer MFD a bit off for that one. Thankfully, it worked on this one. ;P