Flight Question Default Deltaglider reentry

crisk73

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to Orbiter so forgive me if the question has been already asked, but I can't find any relevance...
I'm on atmospheric reentries and I've started with the default deltaglider thinking it would be an easy go.
What I've found is that it does not allow for a realistic aoa of 35-40° as it bounces back out of the atmosphere. I'm also trying to tweak bank to 70-90° to increase vertical speed but without any success. So the only way I found to attain the descent is to keep a very very low aoa! Is that correct? Is the spacecraft modelled in the right way? Just to try, I've also found the default Atlantis having the same problem. So maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Orbiter doesn't model flow separation.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The only time I mess around with the default Deltaglider is when I just feel like doing so touch-n-go's (maybe a getting-back-to-fundamentals thing and it is really fun sometimes with the vectored thrust mod), or when demonstrating Orbiter to perspective new Orbinauts.

I recommend that you fly around in the stock DG, and when you believe you have some spaceflight basics down, "graduate" up to either the DGIV or XR- series (the XR-1 is based on the DG airframe, and in my little world it was a technology test bed for the XR-2). Both craft have some well built autopilots that will assist greatly, and I'd be willing to bet that most here on the forum fly both. One isn't "better" than the other, they just do the same things differently.

As for the Shuttle, the stock shuttle has made me learn new ways to phrase some very bad words, particularly when I first started out. SO, again, learn the basics, and take a look at these...
XR-5 (a flying bus, part of the XR- fleet and can carry A LOT!)
Shuttle Eridanus (a very nice vehicle that is always being tweaked by the Italian FOI team) [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5473"]Space Plane Eridanus 1.11[/ame]
Also the Wet Workshops add-on has a modified Atlantis [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5744"]Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops V2.1.0[/ame]
And the go-to Shuttle Fleet, (google search for it, it can be found at Simviation).

Don't for a minute think that you have to "master" the default vehicles before stepping up to something else. The beauty of Orbiter is that it's a constant work in progress, it's doubtful that any two users would have an identical setup, so everyone has something to learn and everyone can contribute to the community.