Update Deepstar development

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Just so you all know I retain an interest in Orbiter beyond Brighton Lounge :)

I had said I would have a new version uploaded upon my return to Australia in September. A combination of real life and an inevitable creative urge to add new elements once I got going (as shown above) has held this up.

I received a message, however, reminding me I'd set an ETA for September so I'll release I stop gap package without the new features ASAP. Expect it within the next week.

Attachments

• deepstardev-oct12.jpg
    deepstardev-oct12.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi 80mileshigh,so does that mean that you will release a version of the Deepstar with the new features you show in your pic,in the future sometime?because it looks like you added some great stuff.thanks

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone.

Is that a drydock for the Deepstar?

You could call it that. I like to think of it as an Orbital Service Structure. Either way, it's nice to start a mission by undocking and finish with a rendezvous right?

so does that mean that you will release a version of the Deepstar with the new features you show in your pic,in the future sometime?

Yes I will. I can't say when though. I work when inspiration strikes, which, like an Italian earthquake, is impossible to predict. :)

Turbo

Reaction score
Great, I love the deepstar. Glad to see it is getting an update. Awsome addon, thank you.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Status update:

I'll try to get the stop-gap version finished over the weekend. I've had a few small issues with mesh optimization which have held me up, but it won't be too much longer.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Sorry, still plugging away, but nearly there.

Deepstar has a greatly improved config thanks to Axel, and is dll based now, thanks to Artlav's converter.

Which means ...

Deepstar in D3D9:

Deepstar in D3D11:

Attachments

• d3d9-star.jpg
    d3d9-star.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 75
  • d3d11-star.jpg
    d3d11-star.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which means :
Deepstar in D3D9...
Deepstar in D3D11
No need to have a DLL. Just add symbolic links (witch can be done with D3D9/D3D11) and it is okay.
But, if you have done a DLL with artlav's converter, it means you have added UMmu ! Another great news !
Will the source code be avaliable ?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
DLL is the future anyway. Sc and multi no longer seem to be updated so ways to go DLL are best regardless of OVP status. In my dream orbiter world there would be a tool that can build the entire addon from launchpad, Velcro Launcher, Spacecraft, and various systems into a nice package of dlls and single zip.

That DX11 image is absolutely amazing. I truly do think that there is a potential for an addon Renaissance with that, DX9 and Orbitersound 4

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
No need to have a DLL. Just add symbolic links (witch can be done with D3D9/D3D11) and it is okay.
But, if you have done a DLL with artlav's converter, it means you have added UMmu ! Another great news !

Oh Yeah!

Deepstar with UMmu would be a dream come true!

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Also,UCGO wouldn't be bad too either.:salute:

Yeah. I do actually use a couple of those...those that don't repack themselves at scenario stop, at least.

They sure do look nice in a rack on the side of whatever ship I'm using at the time.:)

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website

Ah, I'm a bit behind on these developments, thanks for pointing this out. I have had some problems switching between graphics clients but I don't think this has anything to do with the add-on.

I've sent a message to Axel, so hopefully he can talk about the new config numbers here. He can explain them better than I can, but basically we have realistic weight, greater DV, and lower thrust.

I've also just received a generous offer for coding Deepstar, so hopefully after this imminent release we'll see some more complexity and improvement.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@80mileshigh and Solarliner

80mileshigh asked me, and so im giving you and Solarliner the permission to use my Deepstar- and Lander-config.
I calculated the fuel mass to 12751mT, Sky captain did own calculations and got 13500mT. So you can set it between 12760 and 13500mT. It has no big effect. But i propose to increase the Isp to get more DeltaV! If we use Isp 200000 we get dV of 400km/s, before only 193km/s. But the acceleration goes down to 1,28m/s², well enough for that huge ship (before 2,8m/s²) because a fusion drive can run like an afterburner. We give fuel directly into the plasma beam, the fuel consumption rate goes high and the thrust increases, but the exhaust velocity (ISP) falls down.
You can test some settings, but alltime use the same multiplier/divider for Isp, thrust AND attitude thrust. Ofcourse higher Isp numbers enabling more comfortable travel speeds, but maybe TransX and IMFD getting trouble, because they are not made for low thrust vessels. Here my core-dates for the dV 400 km/s-version:

Deepstar:
EMPTY_MASS=2000000
FUEL_MASS=13000000
MAIN_THRUST=20000000
ATTITUDE_THRUST=15312500
ISP=200000

Landers:
EMPTY_MASS=19000
FUEL_MASS=30000
MAIN_THRUST=0
RETRO_THRUST=0
HOVER_THRUST=200000
ATTITUDE_THRUST=4450
ISP=8800

For the dV 600km/s version the acceleration would fall to 0,8m/s².

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are these graphics a good "evolution" shape ?
Deepstar_TestGraphics.jpg