Debunking 2012

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
it has come to the point that they're making a movie about it

So lets start debunking it. Now for those who don't know, Planet X commonly known as Nibiru is a supposed brown dwarf (Failed star) that orbits far out beyond a star covered in dark matter orbiting our own star making us unable to see it with 6 smaller Earth sized planets orbiting it.
ferry.jpg

Now, what is suppose to happen is that on December 21st 2012, Nibiru is suppose to enter the point where it is suppose to get close enough to the earth to be visible and cause a magnetic flip (north becomes south, south becomes north) causing massive waves (as seen in the trailer) and Monster eletric storms making the modern day severe thunderstorm seem like a spark.

After Nibiru moves away humanity will be devestated and hardly an life on earth.
What I think we should do, is state the evidence against it.
Remember that earlier astronomers couldn't account for an unkown force pulling on Uranus and Neptune? They thought that it was planet X, this apparently is 'evidence' to the people who believe in 12/21/2012, because they think it means that the star & brown dwarf is pulling and effecting the orbit of the two planets. This was proven however, that it was a miscalculation in the mathematics when Neptune was discovered.

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
2012 doesn't have to be Nibiru. I don't think an impact by a as yet undiscovered NEO is out of the question.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
2012 doesn't have to be Nibiru. I don't think an impact by a as yet undiscovered NEO is out of the question.

That could happen any time of the year, thing is that most people believe its a Brown Dwarf.

I believe on December 21st 2012, I will get up, get my uniform on and head out with a cup of coffee, and ask myself 'Hey, wasn't I suppose to die a horrific death today?'

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I love apocalypses. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
If our sun has a massive brown dwarf orbiting it it would show up because it would make our solar system`s center of mass appear in a different place than it should be in case of 8 major planets. This is how we detect an extrasolar planets by observing gravitational wobble they cause to their parent star.

Even if there is an undiscovered planet orbiting sun on a very elliptical orbit chances that it passes close enough to Earth to cause disaster are very very remote

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
Reading all this theories/prophecies and watching ignorant people believing in it makes me think Stalin was not so wrong sending charlatans into GULAGs.

This is just another virus hype to market the film.

With 99,99999% probability it will be discovered before it hits Earth ;) At least just before the impact.

For the ones with weak will - take the picture above, draw Roche spheres for the stars in various variants and see what results.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If our sun has a massive brown dwarf orbiting it it would show up because it would make our solar system`s center of mass appear in a different place than it should be in case of 8 major planets. This is how we detect an extrasolar planets by observing gravitational wobble they cause to their parent star.

We also detect them if they travel in front of their star and dimm it's light.

Regarding the brown dwarf: :rofl:

flaugher

Reaction score
Ok, this is cool. The only bad thing is that Cecil B. DeMille is no longer around to make the movie. Question; Is it 2012 or some other year that the Myan calendar is supposed to run out? Could we somehow combine the two into one?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, this is cool. The only bad thing is that Cecil B. DeMille is no longer around to make the movie. Question; Is it 2012 or some other year that the Myan calendar is supposed to run out? Could we somehow combine the two into one?

Well, 2012 is known for 30 years to be the year when the Mesoamerican long-count calendar is meant to run out in the eyes of some New Age movements. Of course, we have 11 different years 0 for the Mesoamerican long-count calendar... not just one.

Of course, the people have no solid foundation for their claims, and they also ignore, that each digit in the Mesoamerican calendar runs from 0 to 19... not 0 to 12. Or which book is the only known source in Google Scholar, for the claim that the last world of the Mayan Creation Myth (which is way cooler than the Christian one) lasted 13 Bak'tun before it was destroyed by the gods and this world was created as replacement (which got considered as success by the Gods, and will thus never be destroyed at all).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Wait a minute.... didn't the world end back in the year 2000???:rofl:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No no!! You got it all wrong!!

On 21st December 2012, the Earth, the Sun and the center of the galaxy will align and a ray will shine from the center and hit Earth... and then the extra gravity will topple Earth over!

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Personnally, I like the Inca calander 2012 scenario better.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Even fish know we will end in 2012, how can it be not true then?
discovery.gif

insane_alien

Reaction score
Well, there will be 1 brown dwarf around about then. unfortunately it will not be a ball of gas but rather the amount of BS these people are spouting will have enough mass to form itself into a sphere under its own gravity.

not only will it be brown but also very very smelly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Kyle: CGI from a computer game, it seems.