News Dangerous storm announced for Northern Europe

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Saver than in the cloud! It's in a thunder-cloud! ;)

Give it some hours, and it will be a thunder-blizzard cloud

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Ok, now got the "urgent recommendation" of my boss to go home ASAP, since it starts to snow with the increasing wind and temperatures.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Ok, now got the "urgent recommendation" of my boss to go home ASAP, since it starts to snow with the increasing wind and temperatures.

Damn Bavaria. Here it snows a foot and employers are still like "But you can come to work, can't you?".

Meanwhile Hamburg Airport and the Bahn are already having trouble and the Autobahn A7 got closed because a tree hit a truck. But didn't injure the driver, that must have been the worst day at work ever.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn Bavaria. Here it snows a foot and employers are still like "But you can come to work, can't you?".

Meanwhile Hamburg Airport and the Bahn are already having trouble and the Autobahn A7 got closed because a tree hit a truck. But didn't injure the driver, that must have been the worst day at work ever.

Well, the wind gusts had so far been less strong than during Christian, but the dropping temperatures really give some bad feelings here. But the worst should almost be over here, wind-wise, some about 10 bft gusts had been felt here, but most was normal autumn storm.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

The railroad traffic in the state of Schleswig-Holstein had been completely stopped because of the storm. Diesel trains in northern Germany had been slowed down to 40 km/h - no idea why.

The strongest gust until 16:00 here was 79 km/h in my region, 150 km/h on the Brocken mountain.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Diesel trains in northern Germany had been slowed down to 40 km/h - no idea why.

Well, imagine you sitting in a train driving 100 km/h. Then you see a tree lying on the tracks. How much damage will you produce and how will that affect public's image of the Bahn.
Or if that's easier you may calculate the impact energy when going 30 km/h or 80 km/h into a tree.:lol:

And apparently a man was killed in Nottinghamshire while walking in a park. Reasons why you should stay indoors during storms, part one.

Proximus

Reaction score
Just back from salvaging what I could from my holiday home after the roof was torn clean off early this morning :facepalm:

It's on the Argyll peninsula and most of the roads were closed due to flooding and other storm damage so had the fun experience of traversing the Clyde by ferry... In 40 mph winds :shifty: never again.

North East Scotland took the brunt though.

Best of luck to those in this things path :salute:
Stay safe guys.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Is thundersnow rather common across Europe? :shifty:

Not sure if it's common, I've only seen it once.

I'm about as far south as it's possible to get but just far enough North to not be threatened by coastal flooding. We do have severe flood warnings in place though and high tide is due in 90 minutes. It is going to be an interesting night.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hamburg got a strong storm flood this morning, with 6.10 meters about normal sea level and 3.96 meters above median flood level.

The dikes are stable so far, but the maximum level for the lowest dikes is just 90 centimeters higher.

Aside of that, there is some confusion about a dike on the island Sylt, which has either collapsed or has become instable.

But it also has some advantages:

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBrinkert/status/408838797023916032/photo/1/large

Modellers of the Miniaturwunderland letting one of their creations cruise the Elbe.

Last edited:

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A recent picture from the North sea coast in Germany

BavvsmEIAAAPOus.jpg:large