Problem D3D9 Older Microtextures Issue

clipper

Reaction score
So I decided to do some digging in the D3D9 Client topic and eventually I found some older microtextures (I'm talking about the ones found on post #3473 by rstr) and thought about giving them a try. I've personally found them to be better looking than the newer ones posted at the CodePlex page.

I attached the images for comparison so you can judge for yourself (same settings on both plus the official high-resolution Moon textures).

Now the problem I have with the older textures is that at certain angles and altitudes, the ground becomes black (this exact same problem is shown here).

The solution proposed by jarmonik is to either disable the normals (which I did, but I only ended up making the ground bright red instead of black) or to fill the RGB channels of the respective textures. The issue is that I have very limited experience with textures and I do not have Photoshop (I tried using paint.net but that function is not present there), so I wonder if someone could check whether this solution works.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• older textures.jpg
    older textures.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 34
  • newer textures.jpg
    newer textures.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 32

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The surface reddness issue caused by disabled normals are fixed from this shader. Place it in Modules/D3D9Client/

The old textures are still darkening the surface due to being too dark. An easy way to fix that is to apply a high-pass filter on them in an image editor.

NOTE: Remove *.txt extension from the file name

Attachments

• Surface.fx.txt
    34.6 KB · Views: 19

clipper

Reaction score
Thanks for that, it worked perfectly well!