Question CTV - LTV Operations

Smegghed

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As you know I absolutely love Well and No-matter's CTV and LTV modules. I've started thinking about running full lunar flights with return, and suddenly realized, I'm not sure how the program works.

The CTV and LTV are on the own launchers, with TLI boosters, so do they both do their own seperate launches and orbital insertions? If this were the case, would the CTV then dock with the LTV in lunar orbit, do landing preps and then seperate again for landing? If this were the case, would the LTV then be responsible for doing the braking burn to put it in a stable lunar orbit?

Unfortunately I don't read French, so the included docs don't do a whole lot for me, so I guess I'm just confused as to how a full lunar mission from start to finish would work. Thanks!

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys,
The CTV and LTV are on the own launchers, with TLI boosters, so do they both do their own seperate launches and orbital insertions? If this were the case, would the CTV then dock with the LTV in lunar orbit, do landing preps and then seperate again for landing? If this were the case, would the LTV then be responsible for doing the braking burn to put it in a stable lunar orbit?

I, too, love these addons. The way I've always flown the mission is like this (it actually takes a bit of time to setup, but you'll have a really nice scenario package if you do it this way):
1. Copy the contents of the .scn file 'solar system at present' (found in the /orbiter/scenarios/solar system file into a blank notepad instance (we're making a new scenario).

2. Copy the ATV-Lunar launch vessels (excluding the ISS) from the scenario folder and paste those into the vessels of your new scenario.

3. Save the scenario in your /orbiter/scenario folder as moon.scn (or anything.scn). Run the scenario in Orbiter. Time accel into your into the launch window. Make sure you have your focus on the rocket.

4. Go back to your /orbiter file and copy the contents of the current state.scn over your moon.scn. Delete all off the vessels except the ones used by the CTV addons. Save it.

5. Fly the ATV, use the big upper stage for TLI and LOI. Try to get an orbit that will be easy to rendezvous with later.

6. Go back to your scenario folder and copy the cotents of current state into a new .scn file (say moon1.scn). Delete the jettisoned rocket stages and copy the LTV vessels from the LTV launch scenario.

7. Fly the LTV to the moon using the same method, the upper stage can be used to help get it docked.

8. Repeat step 6 only instead of the LTV, you're adding the CTV. Remember each time to keep the vessel states intact for the ATV and LTV.

9. Dock with the stack in lunar orbit. Transfer crew to LTV.

10. Use the LTV's hover engines to take you down (remember to burn AN to descend!). Walk around, then wait till a good launch window to go back and dock with the stack.

11. Transfer crew back to CTV, undock and fly back home!

Last edited:

Smegghed

Reaction score
Right on! Thanks :)
I'm so used to the Apollo/Constellation way of things where you'd dock with the LEM/LTV in LEO and take the whole stack from there.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The doc is a little messy. The first part is written in french, and the second in english. If you need a translation for the keys, I could do that.

Smegghed

Reaction score
I THINK I have the keys down (I could be mistaken however), it was kind of the procedures of how this mission would work that was confusing me. Although it might help now that I think about it :)

Mantis

Reaction score
One tip that I can give you is DON'T try a direct entry upon return to Earth! You should have enough fuel to slow yourself down and enter Earth orbit and then re-enter. The first time I did a lunar mission with that, I assumed a direct entry (Apollo style) and I got burned to a crisp - the capsule actually breaks up and burns with a pretty good animation!