Project CST-100

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice one, so yeah the hydrazine bottles are black (or a very dark colour) with white insulation over them.

But still, the Helium tanks (or what I call the Helium tanks) seem definitively blue-ish or green-ish under the white fabric.

Centaur_upper_stage_being_lifted.jpg

139016-junos-atlas-receives-its-centaur.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

So let's be clear : are those white pieces of fabric removed before flight or not ? There are red labels all over them but that could be related to other small elements (vents cover, etc...) ?

Also I got informations from this (Common Centaur section) :

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/publications/TheCentaurUpperStageVehicleHistory.pdf

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice one, so yeah the hydrazine bottles are black (or a very dark colour) with white insulation over them.

But still, the Helium tanks (or what I call the Helium tanks) seem definitively blue-ish or green-ish under the white fabric.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

So let's be clear : are those white pieces of fabric removed before flight or not ? There are red labels all over them but that could be related to other small elements (vents cover, etc...) ?

Also I got informations from this (Common Centaur section) :

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/publications/TheCentaurUpperStageVehicleHistory.pdf
The large Helium bottles are indeed black with the lower hemisphere protected by a solid white fabric while the upper hemisphere is a mesh-like configuration. Not sure about the hydrazine bottles, looks like RBF covers to me.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That one is interesting, too (Curiosity) :

7MES1-full.png

8MECO1-full.png

9MES2-full.png

... and LCROSS :

lcrosscent1qa4.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

An attempt to find a texture for the "bronze-like" insulation of the first stage, very hard to reproduce :

PLdyCNS.jpg

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The tone of the bronze-like coating looks very good, but I think the secret lies in the irregularities of the surface, caused by underlying weld seams or grinding marks. If you zoom in on this pic of the New Horizons Atlas it shows a lot of these 'disturbances' in the paint.

Atlas_V_551_with_New_Horizons_on_Lauch_Pad_41.jpg

Edit:
I clone-stamped parts of the foto onto a bronze background bitmap and used it to texture a cyclinder:
picture.php

In case you would like to play around with it, here is the bitmap:
picture.php

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The tone of the bronze-like coating looks very good, but I think the secret lies in the irregularities of the surface, caused by underlying weld seams or grinding marks. If you zoom in on this pic of the New Horizons Atlas it shows a lot of these 'disturbances' in the paint.

Yes, this is precisely what I don't know how to render. There are like some "plates" of different color and texture, but it's very hard to percieve. Normal and specular maps should help a little there.

BTW, if someone accustomed with texturing wants to have a try, you're very very welcome ! :cheers:

:ninja:'ed !!! wow those are nice francisdrake !

Do you have a bigger version ? Thank you very much !

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Sorry, there is no bigger version. The reason is the size & resolution of the original photo. The bitmaps resolution matches the original photo.
Making it any bigger would just increase the grain size, same effect as when you strech the bitmap in the modeling program.

Unfortunately I could not find a foto showing the first stage with a higher resolution.

Edit: On the example cylinder I use a U- (circumferential) tiling of 3, that means the texture repeats itself 3 times around the circumference. This contributes to having a small visible grain size of the texture.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually the blue things are "Remove before integration" - the red stuff is "Remove before Flight".

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, that new texture looks very well, as long as you don't stick your nose on the rocket ! And there are no normal maps yet :

I1j3hN7.jpg

zphNkyb.jpg

046hQa0.jpg

(here it shows its limits)

That was important because that's definitively the point that makes that rocket visually unique.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Now I just remembered I have some hi-res pics of the Atlas V, if you are kind enough to reproduce the miracle :)

Edit : sadly, they are scaled down by the image host... Can I send them to you and how ?

(like this one ) :

Atlas_Vcloseup.jpg

(or even this one) :

Atlas_Vcloseup2.jpg

(or also this one) :

Atlas_Vcloseup3.jpg

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I could only see the first picture, so I tried to make a texture out of it.
I am not quite done with it, still shows vertical stripes at the texture boundaries.
Sent you a private message with my email address, or you can upload hi-res photos to the orbiter galleries as well.

picture.php

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I sent you a mail, I hope you'll manage to get the pics, had to upload to Google Drive and share, the package is like 365 MB large... :shifty:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
It is downloading. Will have a look into it tomorrow.
What would be your target size for a texture?
For example the stock DeltaGlider has a hires skin of 1024 x 1024.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The best that you can. Usually I'm not afraid to go as high as 2048. I never had performance issues with that. :p

Thank you again, and of course, there is no rush, the project is running for more than a year now, so no hurry. :tiphat:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Got fresh new textures thanks to the photoshop work of Francisdrake, I think we're getting closer (sorry, I've been a bit heavy on normal & spec maps, I will fix that :

YXmAL6P.jpg

7AQFCwi.jpg

OfqhFk7.jpg

pYwaoW5.jpg

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I usually get thread updates by email from O-F, but for some reason it hasn't been updating, which led me to think that there were no updates, so I apologize for me not being here the past few weeks. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Also, have you taken at look at the DG launch adapter I sent awhile back?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Worked on the last textures that Francisdrake sent me (thanks !! :tiphat:). This time I begin to be really happy of the effect.

33tQrZ7.jpg

NYrI2Ex.jpg

MC0zmfc.jpg

Rc5AA4F.jpg

---------- Post added 11-23-13 at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-22-13 at 03:01 PM ----------

That untextured fairing was certainly a bit dull... Better now :p

gk65FLu.jpg

fRkfZwh.jpg

i3H7fZ5.jpg

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I apologize for not staying active with this, real life has really caught up with me, so I have not had a chance to work on the CST for a while, but now that I'm off of school for the summer, I'll have more time to dedicate to this. To keep everyone updated, Boeing has unveiled the CST mockup at a ceremony this past week. Some newer photos of the interior have been posted, which shows the integration of Samsung tablets into the control panel.

IMG_1038_1a_CST-100_Ken-Kremer.jpg

IMG_1021_1a_CST-100_Ken-Kremer.jpg

1402351019001-BOEING39.jpg

Also, a newer design of the launch tower was displayed by Boeing:

1402351019003-BOEING41.jpg

Malky

Reaction score
I just want to say I'm glad you're doing this and hope it will end very well. I'm looking forward for this addon :)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This picture should be a huge help if you guys are still pressing ahead.
10484529_10152450716040379_769820610484599025_n.jpg