Question Creating a spacecraft3 vessel with my mesh.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been learning how to mesh and texture the mesh in orbiter. I recently figured out how to import my mesh into orbiter and place it near a base.

My question is: how would I go about creating a .cfg file for my mesh, so I can create it as a vessel in orbiter?

I assume I'd use spacecraft3?

:cheers:

SE

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I assume I'd use spacecraft3?
You don't need to.

You can create simple vessels, which are purely .cfg based without writing any code, or more complex with LUA, which are too only .cfg based. There's no need to use 3rd party frameworks, like Spacecraft3, at all.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is that described in the orbiter manual?

Cause I'd like to turn that creeper head into a vessel

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Have a look a projectalpha.cfg - it's the default ISS configuation file and a perfect example of how to have a pure cfg driven vessel in orbiter.

storm

Reaction score
You don't need to.

You can create simple vessels, which are purely .cfg based without writing any code, or more complex with LUA, which are too only .cfg based. There's no need to use 3rd party frameworks, like Spacecraft3, at all.

I see what you mean. The strange structure of spacecraftx.dll based add-ons has made me shy away from some very excellent stuff. But the framework is so old and established, even newly released add-ons are being made with it despite the fact that we now have an excellent integrated scripting system, a very robust API, and of course the native cfg file based vessel interface. At the very least I wish add-on developers would use artlav's excellent conversion tool to study the generated code so that they can produce custom modules instead of relying on an aging framework which was last updated several years ago. Don't get me wrong, Vinka is pretty awesome for creating something like this, and many beautiful vessels wouldn't even exist without him, but nonetheless it is heart breaking to see beauties like [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5588"]Project Jason ALTV[/ame] being restrained to spacecraft3.dll.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I see what you mean. The strange structure of spacecraftx.dll based add-ons has made me shy away from some very excellent stuff. But the framework is so old and established, even newly released add-ons are being made with it despite the fact that we now have an excellent integrated scripting system, a very robust API, and of course the native cfg file based vessel interface. At the very least I wish add-on developers would use artlav's excellent conversion tool to study the generated code so that they can produce custom modules instead of relying on an aging framework which was last updated several years ago. Don't get me wrong, Vinka is pretty awesome for creating something like this, and many beautiful vessels wouldn't even exist without him, but nonetheless it is heart breaking to see beauties like Project Jason ALTV being restrained to spacecraft3.dll.

Thanks for the compliment, but Artlav's converter isn't nearly finished and it doesn't convert the Robot animations.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
In my case the converter crashes... but from what I could see, it offered little improvement, except perhaps EVA ability (if I'm not mistaken).
If I have the spacecraft working, why convert it ?
It's an unnecessary step in my opinion.

Now, instead of reinventing the wheel, what we need to do better add-ons is a new version of spacecraft.dll, or another generic module (like multistage) that would allow for a working VC, 2D panel, system simulation or EVA.

More on topic, any good tutorial about LUA or any idea if it could expand/integrate into what sc3 already does?

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I still need to use spacecraft3 for legacy add-ons.. fwiw

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Greg Burch did some pretty amazing things with sc3. Pretty much a study on the capabilities of the sc3 module.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
One of the things that sc3 does well is providing a realistic aerodynamic handling, provided that you configure things correctly. You can open parachutes and use aerobrakes.
Prety impressive stuff and accurate enough if you don't mess with the overall defaults.

I personaly find the Shenzou addon a great example of what can be done with it.