Controls hypersensitivity issues in my MS/SC based addon

Gothmog

Reaction score
This applies to a certain configuration of my Gemini Joe addon, but only when I attempt to fly it manually into space. I think it's potentially applicable to any addon using the MS/SC modules, whichever versions of those modules may be in use for the configuration in question.

The basic issue is hypersensitivity of the rotational controls. That is, you're piloting a rocket into orbit (or a suborbital trajectory, etc.), and you reach an altitude of 10 or so kilometers. Your speed's good and you've cleared most of the troposphere, so you decide to start pitching your nose down. You ever so gently press pitch-down (in my case by using alt-8, which I've mapped to replace numpad8 in keymap.cfg). But instead of pitching down to 80 or 75 degrees, the whole rocket practically starts pitching end over end. Or if not that, you now find you are pointed at the ground, now rapidly coming up to meet you. Either way, the mission is lost; recovering anything like a correct heading is virtually impossible.

In the specific case, I'm using two config files to represent each of the two basic configurations: Gemini spacecraft paired with either the first or the second stage of the Titan II booster. In free flight, the first stage version's maneuverability is just fine, but the second stage version goes haywire as described above. Each of the two config settings files was implemented by cloning the existing the Gemini_Titan_3 .ini file from Project Gemini, and commenting out the stage I wasn't using.

I can't figure out why the first stage configuration can be piloted, but the second stage configuration cannot.

Given the general issue of absurdly hypersensitive rotation controls, how should I go about troubleshooting it? I suspect that I must be missing something very basic here, but I can't imagine what it is.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
from a quick look, I can see your mulstistage .ini's have no PITCHTHRUST, ROLLTHRUST, YAWTHRUST parameters specified for the 2nd stage. In this case, multistage.dll will use default values (calculated from the main thrust I think). You may need to specify lower RCS thrust values by adding PITCHTHRUST, ROLLTHRUST, YAWTHRUST parameters to 2nd stage.

Hope that helps. Goodluck!

Gothmog

Reaction score
Hi,
from a quick look, I can see your mulstistage .ini's have no PITCHTHRUST, ROLLTHRUST, YAWTHRUST parameters specified for the 2nd stage. In this case, multistage.dll will use default values (calculated from the main thrust I think). You may need to specify lower RCS thrust values by adding PITCHTHRUST, ROLLTHRUST, YAWTHRUST parameters to 2nd stage.

Hope that helps. Goodluck!
IIRC I think the first stage version does, and the second stage version does not, which led me to the same thought. I've tried adding the parameters without success. Then again, it's certainly possible my values were simply too high. (I'm posting on my mobile right now so I can't verify)

The C.O.G. parameter has nothing to do with this, right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-16 at 05:47 PM ----------

I found the source of the problem.

In the MS2 version of the scenario file, I somehow deleted the "_MS2" part of the .cfg file call, where it was supposed to specify the use of MS2 rather than MS2015. I'm not sure how I managed to do that, because I know at one point the modification must have been there--I was able to verify the different behaviors according to which MS version was in use.

Be that as it may i can still experiment with the axial thrust values to see if I can get it to work under MS2015, in which case I'll be able to eliminate the MS2 reference (and that one scenario).