Contacting Astronauts

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From the NASA astronaut FAQ page:

Q. How can I obtain an autographed picture of an astronaut?

A. You may write or fax your request to the following address for astronaut autographed pictures:

NASA Johnson Space Center
CB/Astronaut Office
Houston, TX 77058

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Oh, thanks. ;)
Does that sound to you like you have to supply the picture yourself or not though?

No, you do not have to supply the picture yourself.

Just send a request, and JSC will send you all the autographed pictures you requested! :thumbup:

However, I don't know if you need to send them a stamped & addressed return envelope, or just a return address?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd suggest a big manila envelope for maximum storage capability in the event JSC has 8.5x11 pictures available. Of course, keep in mind that the same envelope can also carry smaller pictures, so life is good there, too. You might have to pay extra postage for a larger envelope, but I'd say it's worth it for an astronaut autograph. :)

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
How do you know this? Have you tried yourself?

I would be happy to send them a stamped & addressed envelope, but I have no idea what size their photographs will be, so I'm not sure what size envelope I need.
That's why I was interested to hear about any experiences.

Gee, this space thing is turning me into a child. :p

No, I haven't tried it myself - that's why I don't know! ;)

Maybe you could E-mail JSC and ask them whether you need to send a stamped envelope or not.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Be aware that those "autographs" are valueless to collectors because they are not signed by a living, breathing astronaut...they're mechanical reproductions of the signatures done with a machine called an autopen.

Mike Collins briefly addresses the issue in "Carrying The Fire."

Unless you actually see it being signed, the probability is better than 99% it's an autopen signature.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Be aware that those "autographs" are valueless to collectors because they are not signed by a living, breathing astronaut...they're mechanical reproductions of the signatures done with a machine called an autopen.

Mike Collins briefly addresses the issue in "Carrying The Fire."

Unless you actually see it being signed, the probability is better than 99% it's an autopen signature.

Which is fine by me, as it's not as if I'd want to sell something that cool, anyway. :D

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Cunningly the astronauts all have @nasa.gov email addresses. Judicious use of the grey matter can show how to get the first piece of their email...
Give it a go with Piers Sellers, I hear he loves that. ;)

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Cunningly the astronauts all have @nasa.gov email addresses. Judicious use of the grey matter can show how to get the first piece of their email...
Give it a go with Piers Sellers, I hear he loves that. ;)

Yeah, astronaut E-mail addresses are easy to figure out. All you need is a full name! ;)

What's the story with Piers Sellers?

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You should also watch the YouTube channels of the various space agencies, ESA's channel were (and might still be) running a system where you post a video to them asking Frank De Winne a question, and if it is selected, it will be answered with a video response either from the ISS, or the ESA headquarters.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Its possible to contact astronauts easy..

Me and Pete always talk to Scott Kelly & Mark Kelly on Twitter.

barcode

Reaction score
I actually emailed Jim Lovell through his restaurant's website a few years ago. He'll usually find the time to respond.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What's the story with Piers Sellers?

He got a little annoyed about being spammed by countless people wanting things from him (as his email was actually on the 'net due to his scientific papers).