Project Construction Zone (New Surface Base Editor)

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'll invite you.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What do you want me to find out for the beta test? Like is it buggy, flickering, etc.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Buggy, difficult to use, non-intuitive, desirable features not yet implemented, that kind of thing. If it's flickering... then something went REALLY strange. :lol:

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
When I release the various components, I would like you to test it thoroughly. Seeing as how I've only released pictures, I would like you, along with all the other beta testers, to just make suggestions. In the previous post, I showed an imagee of what the "Object Modifier" might look like. Feel free to provide suggestions about...well..anything and everything. Tell me how I could make it better. Tell me what features would really help the common surface base creator (don't suggest 3d capabilities )

PS: If it's flickering, then something is seriously wrong :)

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Also, If you have any thorough suggestions, then post it in the group.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just invited you to the group.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Finished Core Orbiter Libraries

After 3 days of non stop of work, I've managed to produce 5000 lines of code. In general, this is not a lot, but it was just soooo boring. Furthermore, I'm almost finished making the "Object Manager" of the program. I'll be releasing this very soon for beta testing.

As I said before, I'm splitting the "Object Browser" of the surface base wizard into 2 seperate tools in my program: the "Object Manager" and the "Object Modifier". The Object Manager's job is to create and destroy objects. The Object Modifier's job is self explanatory (modify objects).

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This project seems to get a great tool for base creation. I'd really like to join as a Graphic Designer, if you still need one.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thankyou astrosammy. I'm a web designer/graphic designer, but it would take me a long time to do designs all by myself. I'll add you to the group

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Graphic Design isn't mandatory at this point, however, it will slowly begin to arise as a necessity. At our current position, astrosammy, don't trouble yourself with creating a great amount of designs. However, when I release the alpha version the object manager (which is soon), I will be working with you in making it look better. Cool? :)

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Furthermore, I still require a couple a people who know trigonometry very well. I know a fair amount of trig, but I'd like to have a couple of people who I could come to for questions. So, if anyone has some decent trig skills and some free time, please post. I still need to create a bunch of code that deals with all sorts of math.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Very Alpha Object Manager Pre-Release

Object Manager Pre-Alpha Community Release (version 0.00000000001):lol:

picture.php

Alright. I've decided to release a very premature version of the Object Manager to the community. It was GXE3's idea. Many buttons and tabs don't function, but the "create" object button does. I would have been much further in the design of the program, but GXE3 found a major flaw in the core programming that took 10 hours to fix. Anyway, this will be the only component that I will be releasing to people outside of the "Construction Zone Developers" group. Once the Object Manager Component is completed, only beta testers and other members of my group will have access to the program.

About

Once again, the Object Manager is half of the "Object Browser" of the Surface Base Wizard. It has to ability to create, delete, and manage objects ONLY. In order to modify an objects, the "Object Modifier" tool will have to be used. These 2 components work together with the "2D Base View" panel and are the foundations of the program and work together to make the user's experience easier.

In the Object Manager is a tabbed panel. The various tabs in the panel basically represent various ways to view the objects in a base. There is the "Organized View" in which the various components are sorted under their various types. Second, there is the "Free View" in which object are completely managed by the user via groups and sorting. Last, is the "Classic View" in which objects are organized in the same fashion as the Surface Base Wizard. As of now, the only active tab is the "Free View".

How to Run Program

1. Download the file from the following link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ummdnkman20

2. Extract the zip file into a directory.

3. Make sure you have the latest java runtime environment. I would only download the latest JRE if you find that you can't run the program (step 4)

4. Run the batch file (run.bat).

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Also, don't forget to comment on what could be better. :)

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Furthermore, I still require a couple a people who know trigonometry very well. I know a fair amount of trig, but I'd like to have a couple of people who I could come to for questions. So, if anyone has some decent trig skills and some free time, please post. I still need to create a bunch of code that deals with all sorts of math.
I know a good bit. Matrices (and quaternions) are generally more useful though I don't have so much experience with them.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cool. I don't know how to use Matrices and Quaternions either so I'll try and get by with trig functions. I took an hour break from working on the object Manager and started creating the "2D Base Display" and it seems to be coming along nicely. I don't think that core trig will be a problem. If a recall correctly, that's the way ar81 created the Surface Base Wizard.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Overall Base GUI

picture.php

I started creating the overall GUI for the program just to show people what's lurking in my head. Does it look ok at its minimum? There will be a whole bunch of different dialogs and tools once I start to implement all the features. At this point, I decided to focus all of my attention on completing the "2d Base Display" (The black void panel to the right of the picture). Seeing as how it's the core of the program, I should complete it first. One things for sure: It's going to look much better once icons and various graphics are added (not to mention the fact that 70% of the inner GUI is finished yet).

Any Comments Suggestions?

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Finished Creating 2d Surface Base View

I finished creating the 2d surface base view. It took a while, but I finally did it. At this moment, I'm working on the input/output mechanisms so I can finally give the beta testers something to test.

ewan

Blind-folded Pilot
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After 4 days

During the last 4 days I got little done (most of it bug solving), but I did create a new SplashScreen/Wallpaper.

New Splash Screen:

picture.php

More importantly, I also created an error handler and a setup dialog that displays when a user runs the program for the first time.

I need to make sure that the this dialog works on everyone's computer so instead of just releasing it to beta testers, I'm releasing it to everyone.

http://www.mediafire.com/?myhjtn4yum2

1. Download the above
2. Extract to a directory.
3. Double click the "Construction_Zone.jar" file. If it doesn't start, then double click on the "run.bat" file. If that doesn't work then you probably don't have the latest Java runtime environment.

Please tell me if the setup dialog works perfectly on your computer. You'll know that it worked if you don't see a dialog thats titled "Exception Manager" or one that talks about "Exceptions".

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

PS: Don't expect everything to be perfectly positioned. I'll play around with the GUI once I make some major headway with the program in general