Request Communication MFD

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
I was wondering. (please don't bit my head off) What if the Teamspeak 3 sdk was used with orbiters sdk? How would that work out with a voice MFD? Lets say you tune to a frequency in orbiter and each frequency could be a different server or a different channel on the server? http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3sdk

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Seems more like a module than a MFD. Still, sounds like fun (pun intended...)

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
So here is my thinking. You tune to a frequency in orbiter. It then connects to the corresponding channel on a teamspeak3 server ie. Earth 121.12. If there is nobody live to speak to on that frequency then it defaults to a "pre recorded" TTS message instead.
you can make a channel for everything airports,moon bases,mars bases,etc

lobby
Earth
Mars
Etc...
Does TeamSpeak 3 offer text-to-speech (TTS)? If so, how do I use it?
We offer three default soundpacks:
1) Spoken text from wave files (default)
2) Spoken text via TTS
3) Silence
For TTS you need to switch to the "Default Speech" soundpack via Settings > Options > Notifications.
Just a thought :tiphat:

luki1997a

Reaction score
My internet connection is slower than my grandma, so I wont experience STC if TS3 would be used for it. Usage of pre-recorded atc messages would be better.

It would be also good to select a ISS freq and hear a "Space Radio":lol:.

Currently we could dream about voice recognition for this MFD, it would be cool... (I know there was a add-on which supports it)

Also, does anybody know any good TTS software, which could be used for STC?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So here is my thinking. You tune to a frequency in orbiter. It then connects to the corresponding channel on a teamspeak3 server ie. Earth 121.12. If there is nobody live to speak to on that frequency then it defaults to a "pre recorded" TTS message instead.
you can make a channel for everything airports,moon bases,mars bases,etc

lobby
Earth
Mars
Etc...

Just a thought :tiphat:

Yes, and where do you expect we'd get several people to sit on Team Speak to serve as the ATC?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
We have trouble getting people onto OMP yet you expect people to sit on ATC and why would you need ATC for spacecraft?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We have trouble getting people onto OMP yet you expect people to sit on ATC and why would you need ATC for spacecraft?

So somebody can say "Houston, we have had a problem."

But practically, you rather need Mission planners than Flight directors in Orbiter.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
But practically, you rather need Mission planners than Flight directors in Orbiter.

Which is why most of my missions take longer to plan than actually execute.

A comms MFD might be more successful if it's a simple MFD that runs selected WAV files via OrbiterSounds API.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which is why most of my missions take longer to plan than actually execute.

A comms MFD might be more successful if it's a simple MFD that runs selected WAV files via OrbiterSounds API.

Much better would be a flight assistant MFD, which acts as some sort of swiss knife for the typical high-workload phases of flight... no completed MFD, but rather a toolbox that can be customized and extended.

Like providing audio call-outs for landing/docking/launch/washing. I would suggest trying to get H.P from Scooter for some voice acting then.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Orbiter sound already gives altitude call outs for landing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Orbiter sound already gives altitude call outs for landing.

Yes, but at the wrong altitude. When it starts to call me, I am seconds from landing. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:uhh: seems like a pretty fast descent...

It usually starts distracting me after leaving the HAC, when the hard work was already done... and 2.5 kilometers is not that much altitude if you descend at 100 meters per second.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Much better would be a flight assistant MFD, which acts as some sort of swiss knife for the typical high-workload phases of flight... no completed MFD, but rather a toolbox that can be customized and extended.

So, this is an IMFD for sound... :2cents:

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Yes, and where do you expect we'd get several people to sit on Team Speak to serve as the ATC?
Anybody? Think of it like SquawkBox for FSX. Anyways when I am in orbiter I turn off ATC in orbiter sound config and I have a couple REAL ATC running in background. i.e. KJFK New York tower. Anyways it was just a thought I am starting to get to far from OP original idea
http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=kjfk_twr&icao=kjfk
http://www.nasa.gov/178952main_Mission_Audio_UP.asx (ISS audio. Not alot being said)
:cheers:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Anybody? Think of it like SquawkBox for FSX.

I've left those two statements up there because I think it needs to be explained about ATC actually works.

The big thing about ATC is a concept called the '[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_Cockpit_Rule"]sterile cockpit[/ame]'. ATC are trained to provide this. The key part of a sterile concept is silence. Yes, silence. Once 'clear to land' has been passed to the PF along with the weather there should be no more discussion on the flight deck, no idle chatter, nothing to detract the PF from the landing.
Only if something goes wrong or if the PF requests to be notified about something should the PNF speak up. Crew Resource management applies but otherwise there is silence.

Now, Watch a video of a shuttle landing. How much 'ATC' actually happens? Very little of course because the shuttle doesn't need a landing clearence. It has that when it's given the go for the deorbit burn. Airspace is cleared via a NOTAM and nothing will be allowed on the runway because the shuttle is committed.

From 150,000ft to touchdown very little is said to the crew - again, it's the sterile cockpit idea - the call outs are:

1. Take GPS
2. Take Air Data
3. Take Tacan
4. On energy, approaching the HAC, no change to winds or weather, you are go for nominal chute deploy. (or go for late chute sometimes)
5. On at the 180
6. On at the 90

That's it. From 150,000ft to the ground there are just six pieces of information transmitted from the ground to the crew of the shuttle. Six pieces of information that are not possible to send over teamspeak without some sort of link to the players orbiter session.

Finally, you'll notice that the crew of the shuttle don't listen to ATC, don't talk to ATC and don't care about ATC. They don't need to because once those OMS engines fire they are comitted to a landing. They don't have to conform to a traffic pattern and the area around KSC is reserved airspace.

It's even pointed out above that the ISS Audio is quiet. Yes, because it's not ATC! It's more ham radio with occasional requests for information.

Last edited: