Checklist Questions

thammond

Reaction score
The 2nd attempt at launching Apollo 7 has been successful...I think:hmm:

The prelaunch checklists went much better this time around and I corrected a few items I did incorrectly the 1st attempt. However there are a couple of things that don't seem right, so I might have done something wrong.

The 1st thing is the RESTART light is lit on the DSKY. Not exactly sure when it came on, but was on prior to launch.

The 2nd thing is the following text is on the lower left corner of the window: "TELECOM: bind() failed: 10048"

Looking for some input on these two things to see if this is normal and if not any ideas on what potentially I did to cause them?

Also I was wondering if there is supposed to be any audio with the master alarm? The master alarm lights up a number of times during the various prelaunch checklists, but I never get any type of audio alarm with it.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The 1st thing is the RESTART light is lit on the DSKY. Not exactly sure when it came on, but was on prior to launch.

Might have been on since the startup checklist. Just press RSET on the DSKY and it's gone.

The 2nd thing is the following text is on the lower left corner of the window: "TELECOM: bind() failed: 10048"

This is a debug message that has to do with the telemetry sent out over TCP/IP. It's quite harmless I think. It happens when you exit out of a NASSP session, but not completely close the Orbiter Launchpad, and then reload a scenario. So one way to avoid it is to completely close and then reopen Orbiter. Not sure what causes this issue, I'll have to look into it some time.

Also I was wondering if there is supposed to be any audio with the master alarm? The master alarm lights up a number of times during the various prelaunch checklists, but I never get any type of audio alarm with it.

That's strange. Do you have any other sounds? Orbiter Sound is activated? There definitely should be a master alarm sound and there is no CWS mode that would disable the sound, I think.

thammond

Reaction score
I do have Orbiter Sound 4.0 installed and activated. I do get some sounds, but I think they are all default Orbiter Sound sounds. I don't think I'm getting any NASSAP sounds.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Here is my Orbiter Sound log file. Seems a couple of items that look suspicious, but I don't know enough about Orbiter Sound and NASSP sound to tell for sure.

OrbiterSound 4.0 (3D) Build Nov 20 2012 01:00
Orbiter version: 190228
Error CoInitialize
Advanced OrbiterSound settings: (Edit: 'Sound/cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg')
-------------------------------
Primary buffer 22050hz 16bits (default 22050/16)
DopplerFactor 1.00 (default 1.00)
VaccumAttenuationFactor 1.00 (default 1.00)
SoundDistanceFactor 1.00 (default 1.00)
MaxSoundProcessPerSecond 60 (default 60)
MaxAnimCheckPerFrame 10 (default 10)
PlayWhenOrbiterInBackground false (default false)
WriteInLogAllLoadedSound false (default false)
Orbiter directory: E:\Orbiter\NASSP 8 Project Apollo\
Listing planets winds and bases sounds:
6 planet wind sound found
4 bases sound found
Passed initModule - Ok
Vessel AS-205 requested an ID, returned= 0 OK
Vessel LC34 requested an ID, returned= 1 OK
Vessel VAB requested an ID, returned= 2 OK
Attempting RenderViewport initialisation...
Attempting GetStartValue initialisation...
Passed GetStartValue - Ok
Initialising directsound...
Sound hardware capabilities: Driver is not certified.
Maximum hardware mixing buffers: 1.
Maximum hardware 3D buffers: 0.
5.1 (5 speakers with subwoofer).
Attempt to create Primary buffer: 22050hz 16bits 3d: yes
3D primary buffer initialised OK
directsound initialised - OK
Passed RenderViewport - Ok
Attempting Mp3 initialisation...
M3U list found attempting loading it.
MP3 found in playlist = 1
Mp3 initialised - Ok
Focus changed attempting to load vessel wave
Info: No sound config found for class: Saturn1BB
Focus changed load vessel wave - OK
Attempting to close viewport...
Attempting to kill DirectSound...
Wav files Statistics:
---------------------
Nbr of wav loaded during simulation: 81
Nbr of wav re-used from memory: 0 (not loaded from disk so not counted in wav loaded)
Max nbr of wav in memory in same time: 81
Nbr of wav failed to load: 0
Nbr of wav not unloaded at exit: 0
DirectSound killed - OK
Passed CloseRenderViewport - Ok
Exited to Orbiter Launchpad - OK

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks pretty much the same as my Orbiter Sound log. Only difference is your sound setup "5.1 (5 speakers with subwoofer)" and your "Nbr of wav loaded during simulation" is 81 while mine is 80, which I doubt is relevant. Not sure what it could be really.

One easy way to test the master alarm in the CSM (not CM after CM/SM separation) is the caution and warning CSM/CM switch set to CM. That will immediately trigger a few lights and, if it is working, also start the sound. Maybe try that again to make sure there really is an issue?

Otherwise there might be some Orbiter Sound setting for custom vessel sounds, which you maybe changed; by default that should be no issue.

thammond

Reaction score
I'm going to try reinstalling Orbiter 2016 Beat and NASSP 8. Is the Sticky thread NASSP 8 Installation Guide in this forum the most up to date installation instructions?

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-29-19 at 09:58 PM ----------

Still no joy after a reinstall of everything.

Is the following line in the Orbiter Sound log normal?

Info: No sound config found for class: Saturn1BB

What is the 1st NASSP 8 specific sound in the Apollo 7 scenario?

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Would running it in full screen vs window mode make a difference?

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I figured the sound issue out. I switched my sound configuration in windows from the 5.1 to stereo and now I'm getting the Apollo sounds.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, good that you figured it out. No clue though what we would have to change to make our sounds work for 5.1. It's not a general Orbiter Sound issue, as clearly the default sounds are working.