News Cave in moon: Base station for astronauts?

Wally

Reaction score
New Delhi: Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organization have discovered a giant underground chamber on the moon, which they feel could be used as a base by astronauts on future manned missions to moon.

An analysis by an instrument on Chandrayaan-1 revealed a 1.7-km long and 120-metre wide cave near the moon's equator that is in the Oceanus Procellarum area of the moon that could be a suitable 'base station' for future human missions.

Scientists of the Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad said in a research paper published in the latest issue of Current Science that the cave provides "a safe environment from hazardous radiations, micro-meteoritic impacts, extreme temperatures and dust storms."

Scientists said identifying sites for permanent base for human settlements on the moon is important for further exploration.

"Lava tubes provide a natural environmental control with a nearly constant temperature of minus 20 degrees Celsius, unlike that of the lunar surface showing extreme variation, maximum of 130 degrees Celsius to a minimum of minus 180 degrees Celsius in its diurnal (day-night) cycle," they said.

According to them, the lava tubes offer a dust-free environment and adapting them for human use requires minimal construction.

Source: SiliconIndia
Full article: http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/25feb2011/524.pdf

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Have you thoroughly explored it?" said the wizard, who knew that caves up in the mountains were seldom unoccupied.

flyer

Reaction score
Just one question, are there dust storms on the moon?

Genuine question, not being sarcastic! (I haven't had a chance to read the whole article)

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As soon as a basic 3D model is made (or even some approximate coordinates and a general shape) I hope an addon is made for this! Bonus points if it's made Meshland compatible.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As soon as a basic 3D model is made (or even some approximate coordinates and a general shape) I hope an addon is made for this! Bonus points if it's made Meshland compatible.

I'll head over there and start taking measurements.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still... a lunar static-dust-phenonmenon thing differs from a Martian dust storm, for example... maybe it could, over a long period of time, cover equipment in a fine layer of dust, but even in a cave you cannot escape needing surface equipment...