News Category 5 Hurricane Matthew threatens Jamaica, Cuba, Bahamas and the US

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
vis-animated.gif

...MATTHEW BECOMES A CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE... ...THE STRONGEST HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC SINCE FELIX IN 2007...
11:00 PM EDT Fri Sep 30
Moving: W at 7 mph
Min pressure: 941 mb
Max sustained: 160 mph

Really worried about Jamaica. Looks like it could be a direct hit. Cuba and the Bahamas after that, and then potentially the US.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
People with friends/family/property all up the eastern seaboard from Florida to Rhode Island need to watch this one carefully. Jamaica, Bahamas ... nasty for sure down there. It's amazing how slow the models have this tracking up the coast, with a ton of rain being thrown onshore from the NW quadrant of the hurricane. The storm deepens for a while coming up the coast, until it reaches the Outer Banks.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For anyone interested in a really pretty weather model site, try http://www.pivotalweather.com

Select GFS on the top, MSLP 10m AGL Wind, then Animations ( [>] top right) and forecast hour loop, select the animation speed to your liking and play the animation.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Great, they've named another one after me.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Latest forecast models has Hurricane Matthew making an impact on the FL east coast this Friday:

Hurricane_Matthew_KSC_impact.jpg

This means that KSC will most likely activate their Hurricane Plans and evacuate the center. This was the KSC hurricane plan back in 2006: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/pdf/153728main_hurricane-plan.pdf

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

The last time a Space Shuttle was rolled back to the VAB due to a hurricane was little over 10 years ago, on August 29 2006. This was mission STS-115. Fortunately the hurricane diminished prior to reach FL and that led to a decision at the half-way point in the rollback to return the shuttle to 39B to weather the storm there.

06pd1982.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

KSC is now in HURCON IV. I expect the KSC EOC to be activated soon: http://eoc.ksc.nasa.gov

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks really bad. the ISS flew over it recently and hopefully the RapidScat instrument measured its wind speed accurately. I have friends in Florida and I need to warn them ASAP.
Stay safe for the people in Florida and NC

Should I be lucky that there is only one yet with my name?
What is your first name?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hint: It was the strongest Atlantic Hurricane to form before August for six days.
Second hint: It nearly scuttled NASA's plan to launch shuttle Discovery for RTF in 2005.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All we can do is watch.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is a photo of the VAB after hurricane Jeanne roared through FL in late September 2004. The opened parts is from Jeanne while the covered up areas are from the previous hurricane that came through the area just a few weeks earlier, Frances. The top wind speed that the VAB saw then was around 90 MPH.

04pd1904.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You're telling me. just woke up at 5:15 for a business trip with my pop.

I had about 2 hours of sleep this night. :facepalm:

The problem of working too long is that it takes much longer to reduce your stress level every day the situation persists. Did not find sleep before 1 AM and already woke up at 3:30 AM... :sick:

Well, today I can hopefully leave the stage already after the daily scrum, restock my fridge with something healthy and watch the Blue Origin webcast....