TransferMFD Can't target planets in transfer mfd

Sargent67

Reaction score
Ok searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I've read manuals followed step by steps and still end up with same problem.

Am fairly new. I can manage orbit, transfer to moon. Landings eh still working on those. Docking I'll never figure out :(

I was trying some of the scenarios the require trips to other planets and once I'm in orbit around earth and trying to use the transfer hto it will not allow me to target anything not orbiting what I'm orbiting. Say a trip to venus I have tried me as src earth as reference and it wont let me target venus or any other. If i change reference to sun it will let me target anything but then the numbers in the hto are all screwy and no matter how much i change the dv nothing ever happens. Am I just missing some little detail? I've follow the steps in the tutorials I've found and even then it won't allow me to do what theyre telling me to do.

Don't figure you need much in the way of system info. I'm running orbiter 2010 on a windows 7 machine. Have mmu, dgiv, orbiter sound, and apollo (don't work) mods installed.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For interplanetary trips, your reference body must change at least three times (in this case Earth, Sun, Venus.) For such a trip you pretty much need to use either TransX or IMFD. TransX is included with Orbiter, and IMFD can be found at Jarmonik's page, HERE.

There are many tutorials for both, readily available with cursory searching. :tiphat:

Tommy

Reaction score
Been too long since I used the stock Transfer for an interplanetary flight - it's really not much good for that. It's too limited in features and quite inefficient.

I would suggest learning TransX (best to get the newest version - not the one that came with Orbiter) or IMFD for interplanetary flights.

If you go with TransX, flytandem's tutorials are great. If you go with IMFD, I recommend "IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks", available at Orbit Hangar.

I do remember this much - Both the Src and Tgt must be orbiting the Ref. You will need to leave Earth's SOI before you can have yourself as the Src and Venus as the Tgt.

jthill

Reaction score
Let me be the third person to say "use TransX or IMFD." I'm one of the ones who uses TransX until IMFD becomes necessary, there are others who do it the other way around.

But to clear up some of the confusion, your target has to be orbiting the reference body, and your source orbit and eject parameters are going to be expressed in terms of that same reference body. Notice that with Transfer you're picking eject longitude on your source and reference body only -- it calculates the orbit based only on those two bodies.. If the source is you, and the reference is the sun, that leaves Earth's gravity completely out of its calculations. So as you orbit the earth, your predicted sun-relative orbit, the one it draw green will change a lot. [math]|\Delta\vec v|[/math] from one side of LEO the other is about 15,000 m/s. Do it: set the sun as your reference, leave yourself as the source, put Mars or whatever on there as target to put some perspective on the thing, and crank up the time warp. You'll see what's going on soon enough.

So Transfer isn't really built for interplanetary work. You can make your plans based on Earth's orbit as the source -- which is pretty much exactly what stage 2 of a TransX Earth-Mars plan will do -- but that won't help you plan how to get your ship onto the resulting transfer orbit (which TransX's stage 1 will do) and it wont tell you where your transfer orbit plane intersects Mars's orbit and it won't ... yeah.

orbekler

Reaction score
I think everyone in this forum will suggest this: leave the stock Transfer MFD and go for TransX and / or IMFD.
Lot of things to learn, lot of fun.