News Canada spends $9 billion for the F-35

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/07/16/canada-jets.html

The new jets would replace an aging fleet of CF-18s that recently underwent a $2.6-billion upgrade.
So...yeah. I'm amazed the Tories got away with it so easily. I personally can't see how this is a good use of money, but that's just me poking into the unknowable realm of military and politics.

Thoughts? Was this a stupid idea? Brilliant?

It may not be the best investment ever, but hey, I know I'm going to the air show at Shearwater at some point if they show up. :)

Last edited:

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
its about time we get somthing other than wwII weapons

Mantis

Reaction score
I'd hardly call the CF-18 or LAV-III WWII weapons...

That's exactly what they are - state of the art weapon systems. The CF-18, while getting long in the tooth (and ready for replacement by the time the F-35s are delviered), is an excellent fighter aircraft and it's still the backbone of the US navy. The new super hornets haven't even come close to replacing all of them yet. The LAV III is the standard for wheeled APCs and it's performed very well in Afghanistan. I'm thrilled that they've gone ahead with the F-35. It's about time our military personnel got new equipment before the old stuff is falling apart and ready for the trash heap. This is just one more reason that I'm thrilled with the government we have now.

They did the right thing in making an informed choice based on the needs of the military rather than wasting the time and money of going through a protracted bidding process that would either result in the purchase of the F-35 years later than 2016 or ending up with an inferior aircraft.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
im exadureating but compaired to other countrys weapons ours are not that good

jinglesassy

Reaction score
It's about time our military personnel got new equipment before the old stuff is falling apart and ready for the trash heap.

Now if only north korea knew that too....

Anyway i am glad to see the country to the north getting some new toys to play with.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ya, but you acquire weapons based on how threatened you feel. I don't think Russia or U.S will attack Canada anytime soon ;)

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You should be thankful for Su-50 entering the market, or the price could be even higher.

Don't really know. Buying non-NATO compatible equipment means you have issues with logistics - you need compatible ordnance and such - which means that the end cost may end up higher. Unless you're already a Russian equipment buyer, it's a hard call.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
One more Nickelback album and Russia and the US may not be alone.:)

As long as Rush keeps pumping out albums, Canada will be safe. If they ever disband I'm afraid I'll have to run to the hills. ;)

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Don't really know. Buying non-NATO compatible equipment means you have issues with logistics - you need compatible ordnance and such - which means that the end cost may end up higher. Unless you're already a Russian equipment buyer, it's a hard call.

Yup, but there are countries which use both, or whose purchasing choise is isn't finally decided upon yet. For them, both types are sound options, which makes the F-35 and Su-50 competitors as a matter of fact. I have seen some news of introducing a producer's discount on F-35 exactly because of that few months ago, but can't find a link.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone who could make adaptor modules allowing Russian weaponry to be used on NATO aircraft and viceversa would be a rich man indeed, but he'd have to hide really well...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm a little disapointed by the F35 performances... Mach 1.67 seems a little slow, since the F16 can fly at Mach 2.1 (for a few minutes, its true)... and the Su-50 at Mach 2.45...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On top of the compatibility issues, I don't think Canada has the stones to buy a Russian aircraft, considering we're sitting right on top of the United States... :uhh:

The Su-50 hasn't even really entered the market yet anyway.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also the top speed Mach number is only interesting for interceptors. For most actual combat, other figures are more important.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm a little disapointed by the F35 performances... Mach 1.67 seems a little slow, since the F16 can fly at Mach 2.1 (for a few minutes, its true)... and the Su-50 at Mach 2.45...

Su-50 is more of an air superiority fighter, designed to shoot down F-22's and F-35's. Wouldn't make much sense to go for those, unless you wanna invade USA...

F-22 is an air superiority fighter. Not much of a bomber.

F-35 was designed with this in mind. It's a fighter / bomber, with CAS in mind...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Su-50 is more of an air superiority fighter, designed to shoot down F-22's and F-35's. Wouldn't make much sense to go for those, unless you wanna invade USA...

Why? It can be just as good, or even better, at shooting down other Su-50's (and all the other Su and MiG) if such are the circumstances.