Challenge Can you dock to ISS, swap to Mir and land at KSC?

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Real challenge, eh? This will use much of you and is with the DG-IV (YA! that ship that blows up!) This looks hard, and is even tougher than you think. It can be a real challenge for first-time players. The ascent is simple, then dock and refuel at ISS, undock and dock at Mir, burn retro grade (by a "few":coffee:) with Cape Canaveral as target. Reentry safely and land.
Use of the ascent and the semi-automatic reentry autopilot is allowed.

*Can be a crash-landing if you want humor and some debris around the runway..:lol:
Obs.:You'll need to go real SLOOOWLLY to crash-land without killing the crew.

Attachments

• Long Trip.scn
    3.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Are you talking manually or with the use of the autopilots? I believe I'm excluded by the "Average players only" clause, but still.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What are fuel, ISP, thrust and oxygen settings? How many crewmembers/passengers on board?

Please remember that changing plane can be done cheaply a) via aerobraking, b) via raising the apogee and doing the next maneuver at the highest node. You also don't specify time limit - one can do phasing with very low dV if allowed sufficient number of orbits to catch up.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Right then. Isn't it the analogue of an F-1 bolid competing with a bicycle? For the challenge to be fair, you've got to set some rules.

Jer95

Surface base designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could be hard for 1st time players, but they can train/practice for that in a DG
Launchpad -> Checklists -> Mission 1 DG to ISS, Mission 2 ISS to Mir, Mission 3 Mir to KSC

Last edited:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I could do, if I my use Kill-Rot.
I could try without of it, too.

Oh, and I need the included MFD's: Surface, Maps, Orbit, Docking.

No DGIV-autopilots.

What are fuel, ISP, thrust and oxygen settings? How many crewmembers/passengers on board?

Please remember that changing plane can be done cheaply a) via aerobraking, b) via raising the apogee and doing the next maneuver at the highest node. You also don't specify time limit - one can do phasing with very low dV if allowed sufficient number of orbits to catch up.

1/2 or maximal 1 day, worst settings (low ISP and fuel, low oxygen (I said that I make it in two days so what I want with a 4-year-oxygen-garenty?) and full crew.)

Any cargos?

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Yes, you can, but only the mentioned, not anything else.

do you meen from Orbiter or from DGIV?

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Right then. Isn't it the analogue of an F-1 bolid competing with a bicycle? For the challenge to be fair, you've got to set some rules.

no, it's analougeu to an race between a hyperjet and a bycicle that can turn into a hyperjet: everyone can choice how good his DGIV is and everyonehas the option to say that it should havebest settings.

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score

If you use the provided .scn, this will be set for you - as long as you don't load a new configuration.

To make this more challenging for experienced pilots, do it without refueling at ISS or Mir.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, I supposed that re-fuelling was cheating... Aerobraking is your friend, and Aerobrake MFD AoA autopilot is instrumental in maximizing L/D during the maneuver (It was something like 5.8 degrees, YMMV). The tricky thing is keeping the node and perigee at the same phase angle, one needs extra burns to this end.

Tommy

Reaction score
Hmm, I supposed that re-fuelling was cheating
The original poster suggests refueling at both ISS and Mir. For a beginner that would be a good idea.

For an aerodynamic plane change the only burns required are the de-orbit and the burn used to rebuild the orbit after planes are aligned. Keep an eye on the "Tn" shown in align planes - if it stops falling or starts rising it means you are turning too fast. Try to keep Tn at 1/2 TTh throughout the maneuver, vary the altitude to adjust the closure rate as needed.