Installation can' t seem to install any thing?

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
ZATNIKITELMAN) Thank you for your post. Yes I did read the previous post.Your post made me feel kind of dum. I kind of thought I might be posting to much about this problem I have. I don;t want to bother any one.So I will not post any thing more .For a while . thanks for bringing this to my attention Robert.

Tommy

Reaction score
Have you installed UMMU and UCGO? They come from the same place as Orbitsound - and have an installer just like Orbitsound does.

You can just install the UCGO part - it includes UMMU.

The XR vessels won't work unless you have UMMU installed.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
Sir.every thing Ihave in orbiter works just fine. I have DG1V and I have UM.0 and universal cars and cargo.and sound. Any thing with it;s own installer works. But when I try XR2 or XR5 . a addon like thoughs .I think you would say zip files is were i have a problem.Xr2 and XR5 are in my launch pad .When I load them .I belive orbits crashes to the desktop.And then I am getting the critical error message.I don't think I have a problem with my installer. my wife has the very samme computer and it does the same thing. They are both brand new computers. Thanks for your interest .Robert.

Tommy

Reaction score
Well, this is a puzzle! Sounds like you are right about the zip files being the problem. I guess I would try something besides the "built in" Windows unzip utility. I recommend 7-zip. It's free (always a good thing) and it works very well. It will also unzip .rar files - which Windows won't.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Try unzipping the XR-2 - into an empty folder. Then open that folder and make sure that you see folders like "modules", "config", etc. Then copy/paste ALL the files at once into the Orbiter "root" folder (the one that has orbiter.exe in it)

I also can't seem to get screenshots to paste into Paint. I use "gimp", a photo editor kind of like Photoshop. Once I've hit the "print Scrn" key I close Orbiter, open Gimp, and hit the "File" button at the top. When the menu opens, select "acquire image", then "from clipboard". You can then save the file as a jpeg (or any other format - but jpeg is probably best for posting here).
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
I go to obiter ng a window says, A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Refering to orbiter EXE. Could this be my problem?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
You say yours and your wife's pcs are the same, but are they configured exactly the same?

Why does she run Orbiter, and you don't?
Maybe graphics driver to be updated? DirectX to be updated?

Sure that each and every flag in all the Launchpad tabs are set the same between the two pcs?

I go to obiter ng a window says, A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Refering to orbiter EXE. Could this be my problem?
Wait!!

Before you get the crash, do you launch ORBITER.EXE OR ORBITER_NG.EXE?

Last edited:

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
No I was just cheaking out orbiter NG. I launch orbiter EXE. When I go to my launch pad.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
NO. It seems to be all my addons except the ones that have there own installers.I have DG4 and UMmu.2.0 and cars and cargo.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

My wife don't run orbiter .I tryed her computer to see if it did the same thing mine is doing.. IT does..?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
NO. It seems to be all my addons except the ones that have there own installers.I have DG4 and UMmu.2.0 and cars and cargo.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

My wife don't run orbiter .I tryed her computer to see if it did the same thing mine is doing.. IT does..?

So you did unzip the add-ons in the wrong way. Did you preserve folder structure and make sure the files of the add-ons go into the right folders of Orbiter?

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
Yes. Ihave checked and checked again. As far as i can tell evey thing is were it should be .XR2 is in my launch pad .It's module is in there to .It starts to load and now I get a new window that says orbiter EXE.has stoped working .a problem caused the program to stop working correctly .windows will notify you if a solution is availible. I .GIVE UP! I will poke around who knows I might land on something some day.THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. Robert .

Tommy

Reaction score
Shouldn't be - orbiter-ng is a version of Orbiter designed to be used with external graphics clients. Since you don't have one of the external clients installed - it won't work.

Just ignore the orbiter-ng for now - until you can get add-ons to work in the regular orbiter.exe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes. Ihave checked and checked again. As far as i can tell evey thing is were it should be .XR2 is in my launch pad .It's module is in there to .It starts to load and now I get a new window that says orbiter EXE.has stoped working .a problem caused the program to stop working correctly .windows will notify you if a solution is availible. I .GIVE UP! I will poke around who knows I might land on something some day.THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. Robert .

Sounds all very familiar, as I had just read this kind of post before...

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Local light sources?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Come to think of it local light sources were a problem for me on one my other computers...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Yes indeed.
"Local Light Sources" flagged on computers that don't support it, leads to an immediate CTD.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes indeed.
"Local Light Sources" flagged on computers that don't support it, lead to an immediate CTD.

But then, the other add-ons should also fail.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
That can't be local light sources, at least not according to the posted log file:
Build Aug 30 2010 [v.100830]

{...}

==> Direct3D T&L HAL
==> Direct3D HAL (ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics)
==> Direct3D T&L HAL (ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics)

{...}

Graphics: Hardware T&L capability: Yes
Graphics: Active lights supported: 8
With local light sources problem, there would be "-1" lights supported and no hardware T&L.