Buzz Aldrin and some Fox News moron interview

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ahem. Franz Joseph Strauß was a convicted corrupt, criminal politician. That is not left-wing populism. The truth is sometimes as simple as that. For some years in German politics, if you had a case of corruption, you had a good chance of being right when you suspected Strauß being involved. Starfighter affair, Spiegel affair, Amigo affair, even the CDU donation scandal had his hands in it. Even shortly before his death, he managed to get in the news by getting caught bribing Air Canada for buying Airbus. That he managed to accumulate so many affairs in his career, is a sign of the real weakness of the CSU/CDU, not of Strauß strength and honesty. Obviously, they still lack mechanisms to deal with such affairs.

Strauß liked the media, when they should celebrate his successes and hated them when they exposed his true criminal nature as self-perceived absolutist ruler...

Kohl is likely a criminal, but no judge will decide it before his death. We only have his gangsters honor, that he did not accept the money. Schäuble did never accept the money, but was strangely able to tell, just by seeing the envelope with the money, how much money was inside it.

And that Schäuble did an abyssmal job as minister of the interior is also not left-wing populism. The police union and many attorneys say the same for years. He did his best job, when he exceeded the limits of his job and hunted in the territory of other ministers - for example having the first integration conferences with Muslim societies in history, despite many groups being active in Germany for 30 years.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Kohl is and Strauß was an excellent politician, multiple awarded (we nearly had a debt-free budget if there was not the German reunification which a lot of poeple forget or suppress). Schäuble also is an excellent politician. He is the right one for being Finance Minister. Kohl and Schäuble are trustworthy persons, although this may sound strange initially. Kohl and Schäuble did not blow the whistle and be sure they won't. People often forget that there are lots of existences. Truth isn't always the best or most intelligent choice.

The question is which kind of policitican do I want to see on the podest. Sissies like Lavontaine, Gisy, Seehofer... or somebody like Strauß or Kohl who know how to handle big things instead of big talk. I prefer the last two characters, if we only would have real statesmen like them these days.

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Are you really trying to talk up Strauss? I thought the entire world had realized he was as corrupt as they came by now. That isn't left-wing populism, but the cold-hard truth.

Also, Fox News is not news, it is right wing opinion. They don't have journalists, they have commentators... there is a difference. MSNBC at least has actual news between left-wing opinions (and also supports most of what they say by fact and not conjecture like Fox does) and CNN sadly may be the most objective of the bunch even though they are huge shills too.

You can't try and organize protests against the government and pretend to be a news organization plain and simple.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, Fox News is not news, it is right wing opinion. They don't have journalists, they have commentators... there is a difference. MSNBC at least has actual news between left-wing opinions (and also supports most of what they say by fact and not conjecture like Fox does) and CNN sadly may be the most objective of the bunch even though they are huge shills too.

This is the problem. Fox has real news, too, but you hate Fox, so you bash it and try to claim that MSNBC, with Chris "Thrill-Up-My-Leg" Matthews is any less a bunch of schills. Or CNN, with it's phony claim of objectivity (see my above post).

You can't try and organize protests against the government and pretend to be a news organization plain and simple.

Of course you can, just not an objective news organization, which, as I've already stated, I do not believe exists.

And why is a protest against a government any worse than a stance on any other issue, which they all clearly have?

In fact, I would so far as to say that a free country relies on news organizations to stir up distrust of government. It certainly worked for the left when Nixon was in power, and it certainly worked for the revolutionaries when Ben Franklin and friends were running the blatantly un-objective newspapers of the day.

It is foolish to expect objectivity from people who have agendas, such as Hannity or Matthews.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Are you really trying to talk up Strauss? I thought the entire world had realized he was as corrupt as they came by now. That isn't left-wing populism, but the cold-hard truth.

Strauß was an excellent successful and appreciated politician, no matter if there was affairs and people who don't like him. Many still agree to Strauß rather than to Stoiber or Seehofer. I'm not a part of the mob who starts to become hysteric whenever there is an affair going public. I always tend to see what's also left beside just affairs, which in case of Strauß is a lot and unexampledly related to Stoiber, less than ever to Seehofer.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Moonwalker: You should not try to argue against reality. The debts of Germany exploded already since the beginning of the era Kohl, so the unification is a bad excuse. Before the unification, the excuse was the economic crisis of the 1980s (which didn't exist). The growth in GDP during the 1980s actually concealed a lot of the growing debts. And most debts after 1990 had been created by the random industrial politics of Kohls government. A lot of money went away in pork barrel contracts without bringing economic growth and the east is still suffering a lot from the damage caused between 1990 and 1998. It happened often that a company was expensively modernized by government money, and then got sold to a foreign investor for cheap (which made the invested money gone with the wind). Kohl likes to see himself celebrated as the politician who made the reunification alone. But this is one of the biggest lies of our present days. It would have happened without him, and there is only very little left to be done wrong, which Kohl and his government didn't do.

You can't say that Kohl or Strauß had been great politicians, without blind faith. Strauß is attributed to turning the "agricultural" bavaria into a "modern high-tech state". Problem: Bavaria was way more industrialized than other German states since the 19th century (Nuremburg and Munich have always been industrial centers). Strauß is celebrated for solving a problem, that didn't exist.

Strauß is attributed in pushing ahead the formation of Airbus, but in reality, he just jumped on the train late, long after the rationalization in the German aerospace industry started.

PS: And I don't give a damn, how much you like Strauß. Even if he would have been your father, he was a criminal failure in objective history.

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
This is the problem. Fox has real news, too, but you hate Fox, so you bash it and try to claim that MSNBC, with Chris "Thrill-Up-My-Leg" Matthews is any less a bunch of schills. Or CNN, with it's phony claim of objectivity (see my above post).

Of course you can, just not an objective news organization, which, as I've already stated, I do not believe exists.

And why is a protest against a government any worse than a stance on any other issue, which they all clearly have?

In fact, I would so far as to say that a free country relies on news organizations to stir up distrust of government. It certainly worked for the left when Nixon was in power, and it certainly worked for the revolutionaries when Ben Franklin and friends were running the blatantly un-objective newspapers of the day.

It is foolish to expect objectivity from people who have agendas, such as Hannity or Matthews.

I think MSNBC is more or less a bunch of educated shills. Shills I happen to agree with sometimes, but still shills. And yes, it is the job of the news to keep the government honest, but it is not the job of the news to organize protests against the government, cover it wall-to-wall, and then attack your competitors for not covering it as through as you did. They covered the tea-party protests a lot more than they covered the gay-rights protests even though they had similar numbers.

There is a difference between commentary and news. What Maddow, O'Reily, Olbermann, Beck, and Matthews do is called commentating. It is interrupting the news to overtly advance a political agenda.

I agree that there is no such thing as objective news because there is no such thing as objectivity, but I think there is a scale between ostensibly objective and downright shilling. Fox is at the shill end, MSNBC is also at the shill end, but are not as bad as Fox, CNN is somewhere in the middle. PBS might be the best news organization in the country in terms of objectivity.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I don't give a damn, how much you like Strauß. Even if he would have been your father, he was a criminal failure in objective history.

I won't try to take away your opinion on that (and on your "objective history"). But not opinion and talking against reality but fact is the biographies, the party histories and the work and eras of those both excellent politicians (and especially the rhetoric related to Strauß). It is not possible to deny great biographies by just mentioning affairs.

It luckily won't be possible to always satisfy all people and their opinions. So it doesn't actually make sense to argue about persons. For that we already have the ballots, which I love to use without any need of discussion and justification :tiphat:

[EDIT]
Although it is actually funny to see how easy it is, by just mentioning sympathy for Kohl and Strauß, to make "pirates" i.e. left-wing voter nervous :D

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is harder to claim a great biography, when there is only sleaze in it.

and BTW...if I voted CDU last time, does this mean you are nervous?

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Although it is actually funny to see how easy it is, by just mentioning sympathy for Kohl and Strauß, to make "pirates" i.e. left-wing voter nervous :D
Which one of the left-wing parties do you consider pirates btw?
SPD?
Greens?
Die Linke?
Pirate Party?

Kohl seems more or less immune from criticism now, but Strauss was surely corrupt... Der Spiegel? I won't disagree that he did a lot to transform Germany, but the man was obviously and unapologetically corrupt.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I personally like Fox News, but don't agree with EVERYTHING they say. Take this for example. Niel Cavuto jumped to conclusions with NASA's new plan. Buzz Aldrin tries to explain, but Cavuto keeps cutting him off. Now Buzz has the right idea, but is the wrong spokes person for the job. In general, most people nowadays have a negative view on NASA.
My opinion is similair.

When Buzz tried to say that 2 launchers is more expensive to develop than a single one with a LES (and RES) system Cavuto cut him off with "I don't understand anything you just said." I'll retract my criticism if Cavuto honestly didn't understand, but it looked more like he wasn't listening.

If about half the interruptions had been removed it would have been an excellent piece to listen too. Oh well, we realize that too many people don't even think about space travel.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
And if they do, they quit because it's beyond their mental capacity.

Eagle

Reaction score
And if they do, they quit because it's beyond their mental capacity.
I haven't met a person yet who can't understand basic science concepts. Its either that they won't or haven't bothered to ask for and listen to a decent explanation.

EDIT:
Oh, and the "I don't understand" part wasn't spaceflight related, it was budget related: cost of 2 > cost of 1.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I haven't met a person yet who can't understand basic science concepts. Its either that they won't or haven't bothered to ask for and listen to a decent explanation.

Spaceflight is no rocket science. :rofl:

No, really. Even a special needs student can learn how a rocket works, because spaceflight is in a coarse resolution, the simplest thing on Earth. The devil is in the detail, but still, I would say that a 1999 Volkswagen is more complex than a 1969 Saturn V - despite the first being 111m large and 3000 times heavier.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score

I have. It's usually tourists who come to see shuttle scrubs.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly, the highest quality news reporting you will find is on the Daily Show or the Colbert Report on Comedy Central.

Eagle

Reaction score
Sadly, the highest quality news reporting you will find is on the Daily Show or the Colbert Report on Comedy Central.
Just be sure you're aware of exactly what the quality of the 'news' on those shows are.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
I haven't met a person yet who can't understand basic science concepts.

my sisters cant understand it i even tried telling them its just a controlled bomb but they still dont understand it of course they cant even turn on there ps3 so they sure are idiots when it comes to technology and science

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I love this station, it's a laugh a minute

Glenn Beck is a riot

CNN, MSNBC and FOX News are all massive jokes. If you identify with any of these channels you need to reevaluate what "news" is vs op/ed.

Ark

Reaction score

THIS. It's incredible how the only people out there forcing fact-based accountability among the organizations we trust for factual news are a couple of underfunded comedians from Viacom.

Was I the only one watching the video and screaming at the screen "Come on, Buzz! Knock that mother****** out just like the last guy!"