Project Brighton Base 2011: An Upgrade to Orbiter's Brighton Beach

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I'm downloading this, I never landed on BB because of the old texture, now I have reason to, I'm hoping this looks good with Lunar City.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Hi guys. Thanks for the generous feedback! :) Sorry for the delay in updates, I lost my internet connection for a couple of days, but I think the addon would be ready in a few hours--I'm currently testing the zipfile for errors/missing files. In the meantime, here's the documentation for the addon:

advert2k.jpg

===============================================================

BRIGHTON BEACH 2011 v1.0
------------------------
Orbiter Space Flight Simulator add-on
by Rodion M. Herrera

Hi Orbiter fans! This addon is a visual enhancement/upgrade for the Brighton Beach Lunar Base on the moon. Most of the existing meshes of the old Brighton Base have been replaced with high polycount meshes and higher resolution textures. However, the general layout of Brighton Base remains unchanged, to preserve familiarity and orientation with the base.

LIST OF FEATURES:

1. Redesigned central hub building
2. Central hub building animation (requires spacecraft3.dll)
3. Redesigned landing pads with additional detailing
4. Additional Large Landing Pad for Arrow-class spacecraft
5. Landing Pad 4 has experimental clamshell-type cover, to pressurize entire pad a-la "drydock" (requires spacecraft3.dll to operate)
6. Replaced monorail textures
7. static solar array to the north
8. "Brighton Beach: Full House" scenario (requires spacecraft3.dll, UCGO/UMmu, XR2 Ravenstar and XR5 Vanguard addons)

WARNING: As I've stated previously, this addon contains high poly meshes and high resolution textures. Your computer must be equipped with a fast processor and graphics card--I tested this addon on a Core2Duo with an nVidia GeForce 8800GT video card, and framerates are practically unaffected, so if your machine is much slower, you might encounter degraded performance.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

NOTE: You must have the following addons installed before you install this addon:

PREREQUISITES:
a) Spacecraft3 by Vinka
b) Brightontiles2.zip (find at OrbitHangar, I highly recommend this to enhance the surrounding terrain better)
c) Different Brighton Beach Update.zip (find at OrbitHangar, I highly recommend this to enhance the surrounding terrain better)

Optional (all these are needed to run the "Brighton Full House" scenario):
a) UCGO20_100114 by Dansteph
b) XR2 Ravenstar by Doug Beachy / Altea Aerospace
c) XR5 Vanguard by Doug Beachy / Altea Aerospace

IMPORTANT STEPS:
1. Back up your Brighton.cfg file, located in your \Config\Moon\Base folder (this will be overwritten)
2. Back up your Base.cfg file, located in your \Config folder (this will be overwritten)
3. Once everything above is installed, unzip the brightonbeach2011.zip into your Orbiter folder/directory. The directory structure has been preserved so all you need to do is unzip into your Orbiter working folder. If you are prompted to overwrite files, say "YES/OK"

4. If you want to see/try the animated features of the new base, add the following lines to ANY *.scn file that starts off at Brighton Base, after the "BEGIN_SHIPS" header:

cover:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
STATUS Landed Moon
POS -33.4377000 41.1315370
HEADING 0.00
AFCMODE 7
NAVFREQ 0 0
RCS 1
CTRL_SURFACE 1
CONFIGURATION 1
CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
SEQ 0 -2 0.000006
END
disc3:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
STATUS Landed Moon
POS -33.4375400 41.1250170
HEADING 59.86
AFCMODE 7
NAVFREQ 0 0
RCS 1
CTRL_SURFACE 1
CONFIGURATION 1
CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
SEQ 0 1 0.940083
SEQ 1 -1 0.000821
SEQ 2 -1 0.617022
END

If you don't do the above procedure, certain base features will not appear on your chosen scenario.

5. You can also try the "Brighton Full House" scenario in the "New Brighton Beach" folder, PROVIDED you have installed UCGO, XR2, and XR5 addons. This scenario has the Arrow Freighter, XR2 Ravenstar, XR5 Vanguard, and a DG-1, all on approach and about to land on Brighton! Don't panic...approach rates are slow and all ships except the DG-1 are on auto-hover/maintain altitude mode. (TIP: The Arrow's Beacon is active on the new large pad, hint, hint). Another problem is that the XR5's landing gear is damaged--so the challenge is to belly-land the Vanguard on Pad 4 (with clamshell cover), so that the repair crews can work in an airtight hangar to fix the Vanguard's landing gear. The Vanguard is a BIG ship but it can fit neatly in the pad, you just have to fly it well into a good belly landing!

6. Landing Pad 4 features a new airtight "clamshell cover", simulating a means to "drydock" a ship, and do maintainance work on it without having to wear a spacesuit and go on EVA. To operate the Clamshell Cover on Pad 4, switch focus (F3) to "cover" and activate by pressing "SHIFT-INS/0" (on keypad). You can then optionally designate the area as a "breathable area" via UMmu once the cover is closed.

FUTURE PLANS:

I intend to keep developing this addon as time permits. Among the planned improvements are more UCGO/UMmu integration, more "adventure/role-play style" scenarios like "Brighton Full House", even better and more optimized meshes and textures for the pads and other features, and more eyecandy! ;)

I hope you enjoy using this new Brighton Beach as much as I enjoyed making it :) Cheers to all!

advert1.jpg

-RODION

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Some more images:

bb2011_003.jpg

bb2011_002.jpg

bb2011_001.jpg

bb2011_004.jpg

If you're wondering why my Kara looks different, well that's because she's indeed a bit different--I tweaked the head and body mesh, plus edited the head texture (turned her into a tanned, blue-eyed blonde) and came up with my own "Annika" sexynaut :) Here she is, side by side with the Kara model:

bb2011_005.jpg

If you want one, you might have to wait--I have to ask permission from Steve Tyler if it's possible to release (or package with Brighton) a tweaked version of his meshes/textures.

-RODION

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome! Looks truly amazing. Thanks for all the work you put into this!

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Amazing job, mate! Thanks for this! :tiphat:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Amazing job, mate! Thanks for this! :tiphat:

Thanks Doug! BTW how do I contact Steve/Coolhand? I've been meaning to ask him if it's okay to release (or package with future updates to my Brighton 2011) an edited "Kara" mesh/texture pack? Rest assured I'll only do this once I have his expressed permission, thanks!

-RODION

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
PREREQUISITES:
b) Brightontiles2.zip (find at OrbitHangar, I highly recommend this to enhance the surrounding terrain better)
Is it this one?
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2437"]Brighton beach surface tiles v2 for orbiter 060504[/ame]

Last edited:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website

Yes, you need that one and:

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4821"]A Different Brighton Beach Update[/ame]

Of course, don't forget Spacecraft3.dll and the XR and UCGO addons are really nice to have also (you need all this to load the *.scn that comes with the package)

Please ask error/debug-related questions here:

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=317003#post317003

Thanks!

-RODION

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks Doug! BTW how do I contact Steve/Coolhand? I've been meaning to ask him if it's okay to release (or package with future updates to my Brighton 2011) an edited "Kara" mesh/texture pack? Rest assured I'll only do this once I have his expressed permission, thanks!

-RODION

Your best bet is to send him a PM, which will be forwarded to his email as well.

I was looking at the uber-cool dome on the roof of the high-rise tonight:

bbbeach.jpg

Then I zoomed in:

bbbeach_zoom.jpg

That is win! :lol:

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be taking the elevator to the roof to meet Kara with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon so we can catch up on our tans... :p

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Your best bet is to send him a PM, which will be forwarded to his email as well.

Ok thanks for the tip!

I was looking at the uber-cool dome on the roof of the high-rise tonight:
That is win! :lol:

Hehehe, was wondering who'd be the first to report that sighting :) You should insert the Spacecraft3-related lines on your scenario, the sides of the central building looks much better with it :) Also, you get to play with the pad cover on Pad 4. :) Enjoy!

-RODION

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the tip, will-do!

BTW, if any of you want to add [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1853"]LunaCity[/ame] next to this uber-cool base yet, all you have to do is:

1. Download [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1853"]LunaCity4[/ame] from OrbitHangar.
1. Manually edit your Config\Moon\Base\Brighton.cfg and add this section close to the top of the file, just after the BEGIN_OBJECTLIST line:

Code:
MESH
    FILE LunaCity
    POS -10 0 -2330
    SCALE 1 1 1
    ROT 0
    OWNMATERIAL
    SHADOW
    PRELOAD
END

(Note that I tweaked the position of the city to bring it about 8000 meters closer to Brighton Beach.)

2. Copy LunaCity.msh to Meshes.
3. Copy Kulch_trees.dds to Textures.
4. Bring up Orbiter and look around.

Now it looks like this (I removed the crater mesh):

bbbeach_luna_city1.jpg

bbbeach_luna_city4.jpg

The monorail goes right into the city via the airlock: :thumbup:

bbbeach_luna_city5.jpg

Interior view (monorail ends on the right side]:

bbbeach_luna_city6.jpg

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Hey nice! I have yet to try LunaCity myself, but thanks for the suggestion! I bet that looks great approaching from the east, with Brighton and foreground and Luna City in the distance.

-RODION

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Great visual update to an old classic! Very challenging scenario included with the addon (Brighton Full House). RTFM (Read the Fine Manual) is a must for the entire addon to work properly. Nice eye candy with the animation for the central building! I do wonder the reason for it...not a knock, just wondering. This addon causes me to rethink/update Lunar Base Niven.

:tiphat::cheers::thumbup:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is awesome. Love the central building animations (and the ability to stop them ;) )

5 Deltagliders when it finally gets on OH!

Interceptor

Reaction score
This addon rocks ,You did a great job and,I am really enjoying it,and looking foward to updates.Thanks.:tiphat:
PS.Can somebody please show an aerial shot of the cratered area,so i can make sure that I set up the addons correctly?.Thanks
again.

Last edited: