Updates Blue Origin New Shepard News and Updates

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sure I have. When everybody mutates into a SpaceX fanboy, somebody has to keep the eyes open. And of course, who does not remember the first Falcon 1 launch? :lol:

I do ... I also remember the first Ariane 5 launch :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe they can? 42.7'' (~108 cm) is 35% larger than the largest window of the ISS cupola (80 cm diameter circle)

During my Googling I found this:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/hsf_research/Climate_change_ISS_presentations/Cupola_Deloo.pdf

The pressure window on the circular pane of the ISS cupola is 1.45 inches thick, fused silica glass. It has a redundant identical pressure window layered with it, plus an impact pane on the outside and a scratch pane on the inside. Nearly 4 inches of glass in total. That's a heavy window! The smaller limb windows are only 1 inch thick but with similar redundancy and protective layers.

The ISS is pressurized to 14 psia, so nearly full atmospheric pressure is applied to those windows.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe you should build the whole capsule pressure shell out of the window material instead...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe you should build the whole capsule pressure shell out of the window material instead...

Would not be that favorable. There are some glass variants, that get stronger when you compress them, but all glass reacts pretty poor to tensile forces. You would need to pretension it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would not be that favorable. There are some glass variants, that get stronger when you compress them, but all glass reacts pretty poor to tensile forces. You would need to pretension it.

Could you use something besides glass? Some kind of plastic, maybe?

Just wondering. A capsule is kind of like a bathyscaphe but with tension force on the hull instead of compression, and those things have tiny thick windows.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Just wondering. A capsule is kind of like a bathyscaphe but with tension force on the hull instead of compression, and those things have tiny thick windows.

A hybrid of a HIAD and a Zorb? :lol:

HIAD-Direct-Entry-HALF-REZ.jpg

zorbing_2468112b.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Had thick windows. There are some modern designs around that have their pressure vessel nearly completely made of glass.

http://tritonsubs.com/submersibles/triton-360003/#

Gerdih

Reaction score

Internal pretension? Hope no one hits the glass :p

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The more the merrier.:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

There have always been two... VHS and Betamax.... :lol:

VHS won, but now they're both gone.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is genuinely exciting news. More commercial LV competition is always welcome plus we get to see LC-36 back in action! I wonder what pad they'll choose for landings.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Seems to have a better control system than their competitors... :shifty:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Remarkable control, makes my self-balancing robot look pathetic, mind you it is pathetic.
Good luck to them!

N.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's a nice landing, but it's significantly easier than landing the SpaceX F9 first stage. For one, this isn't hauling the entire weight of the second stage and payload to space. Only itself and the capsule. So the empty weight is more comparable to the full weight. Makes things A LOT easier.

Notebook said:
Remarkable control, makes my self-balancing robot look pathetic, mind you it is pathetic.

Well, the larger things get, the slower they oscillate. There's a reason you can balance a broom on your finger, but have difficulty doing the same with a pencil. Your robot suffers from the same problem.