Humor Best opening titles/music?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
If you don't mind, I concentrate on music featured in Russian films. I had so many choices that I had to sort the movies of my choice by timeline of production. If you can't understand Russian, just enjoy the sound of it.

Легко на сердце от песни весёлой (A Happy Song) from Весёлые ребята (Jolly Fellows), 1934

This song is best known as the March of Stalin's Tankmen, best watch starting from 2:15 in this clip - from Трактористы (Tractor Drivers), 1939

Тёмная ночь (A Dark Night) - from Два бойца (Two Soldiers), 1943

Здесь вам не равнина (You are not in flatlands) - from Вертикаль (The Vertical), 1967

Когда усталая подлодка... (When a tired submarine comes home) - from Командир счастливой "Щуки" (Commander of a lucky Schuka), 1972

Opening titles music from Soviet version of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, 1980

Прекрасное далёко (A beautiful faraway) - from Гостья из будущего (Guest from the Future), 1985

Перемен! (Change!) - from Асса (Assa), 1987 - the song actually begins from 1:00

Bonus: A folk song which was popular during the WWII "На поле танки грохотали" (The Tanks were rattling like a Thunder), which was also featured in a movie, is sung in English by some American students. They manage to get it atmospheric. :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeb3ZLb-wJ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeb3ZLb-wJ4[/ame]

Last edited:

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going to ignore the "no multi-choice rule" simply because it's too simplistic to say there's one best opening or even one personal favourite. Each film is trying to do something different, so naturally techniques and approaches vary.

Top 5 (in no order)

Fight Club - You can't see the fantastic opening sequence in any YT video, the producers have that tightly wrapped up, but here's the powerful rock music that opens it:

Operation Swordfish - Mega-meta. The critique of American mainstream cinema's lack of realism by John Travolta, which also refers to Dog Day Afternoon. Ironic because Swordfish is about as fantastic as any comic-book epic. Then (not in this clip) the revelation that JT is right in the middle of a Dog-Day type hostage situation and the great bomb sequence right after. 6 opening minutes of intellectual pleasure and adrenaline action

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2EZK-YQHZo"]YouTube - Swordfish; John Travolta's Opening Speech[/ame]

Layer Cake - Can't show it here, too many cuss words and drug references. But it sets out the argument of the film perfectly.

Snatch - Great music ("Diamond" by Klint), the high power soundtrack continues right through the movie. Cut sequence of main characters, to let you know you're among masters here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xNqj7S54E"]YouTube - Opening "Snatch" of Guy Ritchie[/ame]

I notice these are all action-thrillers made in the last 15 years or so. I guess those are the ones which have the most arresting opening sequences, for me anyway.

EDIT

For pure humour, the opening dialogue (monologue really) between James Stewart and Peter Fonda at the beginning of The Cheyenne Social Club can't be beat.

Last edited:

LuckyHendrix

Reaction score
For me , one of the best opening ever:
sorry couldn't find it without the ratio messed up.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not an opening sequence, but I might get away with it:

N.

p.s. still laughing at #3 above, when I was a lad we took our superheroes seriously. Cracking quailty.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You have forgotten the most epic British music theme/WW2 movie scene combination, that had to be included because it also happened that way in reality:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes that guitar riff is brill.

N.

Kalman

Reaction score
My favourite composer wrote this track to one of the best scifi film in history:

Last edited:

Kcedwards

Reaction score
It has to be Interstella 5555. One More Time for opening and Too Long for closing, all the songs are by Daft Punk

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last edited: