Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never had the time to really get into astrophotography the way I want to, but there is the simple pleasure in life of sitting on your deck on an autumn evening with a beer, a telescope, and a smart phone camera that can do this:

10766864584_4a71464909.jpg

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never had the time to really get into astrophotography the way I want to, but there is the simple pleasure in life of sitting on your deck on an autumn evening with a beer, a telescope, and a smart phone camera that can do this:

Love it. The simplest amateur photographs like this are sometimes the best IMO. :thumbup:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
First attempt at astrophotography!
attachment.php

Attachments

• lightpollution1.jpg
    lightpollution1.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 283

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Second attempt, what do you guys think? :)

There was tons of light pollution to deal with, fortunately I was able to get rid of most of it on GIMP, proving suburban astrophotography is totally doable.
QybNr0H.jpg

[
ZZcGIJL.jpg

And the best one,
iA2QIQe.jpg

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My first attempt at astrophotography:
moon_1.jpg

Obviously not great, but it's not bad, considering I'm using a webcam in afocal mode and the high-tech "rubber-band mount" :lol:
2014-01-04%2012.18.30.jpg

I also didn't really adjust the webcam settings, as it was around 5F outside last night; brr...

Hopefully, depending on cloud cover, I'll get a better shot at it tonight!

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

My second attempt at astrophotography:
moon5_final.jpg

moon9_final.jpg

Much better! :)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
2 images of Jupiter taken tonight in slightly windy and turbulent atmosphere.
Meade LX90 10' using ASI120MC camera, 500 images stacked in Registack

almy.jpg

6pn9.jpg

Last edited:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Boy......... shows me not to even bother posting my pictures here again...........

DeadlyCZ

Reaction score
Lately, I haven't taken much photos, but there are some from few years ago

Taken with Canon EOS 1000D and either stock 18-55 lens, or 300/1580mm telescope at our local observatory (I am a proud member :) ) -
snimek.php

We didn't have any focusing tool on our telescope back then, so a lot of trial and error tests had to be done to focus correctly, and even then, it wasn't 100% as you can see...

Moon
C/2010 X1 (probably, not sure, didn't make notes :/ )
M27 / NGC 6853 / Dumbbell nebula
And again, with some software proccessing
M57 / NGC 6720 / Ring nebula
Night at village, long exposure
Our observatory, long exposure

I will probably borrow keys to the observatory this friday and attempt to make some photos of Orion nebula while it's up in the evening if it won't be cloudy again :/ .

mvronsky

Reaction score
Moon

Taken with a Celestron AstroMaster 76 and HTC 1.
I pretty much just held the phone up to the lens, took a while to take a good photo.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

Same thing here, but with a higher magnification! Taken about 30 minutes ago by an iPad, I believe this is the Sea of Serenity and Montes Apenninus.
9TeL1t9.jpg

MattBaker

Reaction score
It is, but with south being up (took me a minute to get that:facepalm:)
Actually, you have photographed the crash site of Luna 2 (the prophet before the :probe:) a bit north-north-east of the Autolycus crater (the one closest to the valley connecting the two mare) in the lower right.

And Apollo 15 is in there, too. So with some CSI zoom you could see a descent stage and a roving vehicle waiting for the bus.:lol:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It is, but with south being up (took me a minute to get that:facepalm:)
Actually, you have photographed the crash site of Luna 2 (the prophet before the :probe:) a bit north-north-east of the Autolycus crater (the one closest to the valley connecting the two mare) in the lower right.

And Apollo 15 is in there, too. So with some CSI zoom you could see a descent stage and a roving vehicle waiting for the bus.:lol:

I believe I've also gotten Taurus Littrow on the SE rim of Mare Serenitatis, Apollo 17's landing site.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I believe I've also gotten Taurus Littrow on the SE rim of Mare Serenitatis, Apollo 17's landing site.

Checking again I think the upper left corner is Sinus Asperitatis and the crater to the lower right of it is Moltke, which is south of the Apollo 11 landing site.
So you've got three manned landing sites in one picture, the first, the first with a rover and the last.:thumbup:

Edit: Moltke is of course south of Apollo 11, looking at maps upside down messes up my directions.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Testing my new smartphone adapter,
which I bought after I found out that its just impossible for me to do it by hand.
upababyg.jpg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
That looks awesome, are you stacking the images too, or just a single shot?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I thought when I looked through the eyepiece. Easiest object to find in the sky, but strangely I rarely observe it.
Its a single shot.

I accidently used a lite version of a camera app I downloaded, so this is just a 480x640 image.
I'll try to buy and use that app for some deep sky and satellite images soon, I installed it as it allows 60 seconds exposure time.