Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've recently boughtt a Orion deep space imager II and was tinkering with it a bit yesterday with M42.
The following result isn't too shabby for a 80 second exposure using a 102 MM guide refractor.

m42.png

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Dank je wel, Ik zal wat meer foto's "posten" de komende dagen.

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
My first try on the ISS through a telescope,
ISO was 1250 and exposure was 1/640s
Next time I'll use a lower ISO, these are slightly overexposed.

spacestation.jpg

Can anyone identify the features?
It was a low flyby, maxing at around 30 degrees. So this should be the side of the station.
It seems that the solar panels go from upper left to lower right, however I'm not sure.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
3376563671_13f0ef6039.jpg

High resolution version here.

Virgo cluster, 4x30 minutes.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Here's Clavius Crater, a 5 image mosaic taken earlier this evening with a Meade electronic eyepiece and LX200.
3416467880_4ba1da5e47_o.jpg

*edit to change picture: redid the stack using the complete video stream instead of just cherry picking a few of the best frames.

Last edited:

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
So i took 200 images of Saturn. The main issue is that these are 3072x2304 images and Saturn's disc is only some 70x70 pixels. Is there any software that could automatically center and crop the 200 images?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
So i took 200 images of Saturn. The main issue is that these are 3072x2304 images and Saturn's disc is only some 70x70 pixels. Is there any software that could automatically center and crop the 200 images?
Registax is the main amateur astrophotography stacking application. It's free too :). There is another one, but I can't remeber what it's called.

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
I know, i have several stacking applications.

What I'm looking for is an application that crops photos, i don't need the 95% of each image.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Me and my classmates recently took images of Saturn through a 70 cm telescope for our astronomy project, with a 4096x4096 cam. We haven't processed the pictures yet, but I'll post them when we're done.

Our professor suggested IRAF, but I haven't gotten around to learning it. It's a free program.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I know, i have several stacking applications.

What I'm looking for is an application that crops photos, i don't need the 95% of each image.
Sorry, misinterpreted your request. I don't know of ones that crop it. If Saturn is in *rougly* the same place in each image (ie, you can crop all images with the same cropping) then I'm sure that linux command line tools (imagemagik?) can do it, or DPP if you have a canon camera. You the crop may not be as tight as if it were a single image, but you may be able to crop 70% or so of each photo, that would help.

Other than that, I don't know.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Took this one last night. The star-like object is Molniya-2 9, an old Soviet communications satellite in a highly elliptical orbit. It's only about 4 meters long and 1.5 meters in diameter, and it was exactly 18,000 km away during the 30 second exposure. The long streak is a star it was passing by as I tracked it. Hail probe!

3928272820_6b601371bf_o.jpg

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
I've just the ISS and HTV:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3lh9e-hU4"]YouTube - ISS nad HTV Flyby Through Telescope[/ame]

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I've just the ISS and HTV:
Very nice capture McWgogs! I wish I had had an opportunity to spot the HTV before capture, but there were no sighting opportunities where I live. Great job getting it, especially with hand tracking.

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
Very nice capture McWgogs! I wish I had had an opportunity to spot the HTV before capture, but there were no sighting opportunities where I live. Great job getting it, especially with hand tracking.

Thanks. I've had the ISS on about half of the frames.
tracking is quite easy with the scope lubed good.
Only the zenith is a killer on a Dobson :p