Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, New scope is up and running, although still needs to be fine-tuned (polar alignment and collamination etc).
Anyway, here is the very first image I took with it tonight; looks like crap compaired with what it can do once I've fine-tuned everything but not bad for a test image.
This is just a stack of 10 images ( usually I stack several hundereds)

saturn1.png

---------- Post added 05-15-12 at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-14-12 at 10:26 PM ----------

Starting to get the scope fine-tuned; took two images tonight on a mildly clear night; Mars and Saturn.

As always, pictures are copyright protected.

marsu.jpg

saturnc.jpg

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Okay, New scope is up and running, although still needs to be fine-tuned (polar alignment and collamination etc).
Anyway, here is the very first image I took with it tonight; looks like crap compaired with what it can do once I've fine-tuned everything but not bad for a test image.
This is just a stack of 10 images ( usually I stack several hundereds)

saturn1.png

---------- Post added 05-15-12 at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-14-12 at 10:26 PM ----------

Starting to get the scope fine-tuned; took two images tonight on a mildly clear night; Mars and Saturn.

As always, pictures are copyright protected.

marsu.jpg

saturnc.jpg

That's a pretty sharp picture of Saturn. That must be some very powerful telescope there. How does Jupiter look through your telescope?

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice images there, Yoda!

That's a pretty sharp picture of Saturn. That must be some very powerful telescope there. How does Jupiter look through your telescope?

You'll have to wait a bit for that, since Jupiter is pretty close to the sun these days and therefore unobservable.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks guys; as you can see I don't have the color thing just right yet ( was too late last night)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
At it again tonight; was able to take some pictures of Mars and Saturn between some loose clouds that started rolling in.
Wanted to compair my Mars picture to a current view from earth to identify specific structures on the surface.
First image is a current view of Mars at the time I took the image, then my image of Mars.
You can definatively make out some landmarks on the surface; pretty exciting !
All images taken with a 10" Meade LX90, Phillips Webcam, 2xbarlow lens and about 1000 images stacked with Registack for Mars and about 300 images stacked with Registack for Saturn

marsmap.jpg

mars0517122145.jpg

Finally, Saturn again (hope this is not getting boring)

saturn051712.jpg

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice shots ! :thumbup: Keep up the great work !

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Took this shot of the Lagoon nebula last night. About 14 x 2 minute exposures (5 dark frames) and 2 x 5 minute exposures (2 dark frames) unguided with an Orion ST-80 piggybacked on an LX200 (Canon XTi ISO 1600). I would have been autoguiding with the LX200 but I didn't have enough juice left to keep the laptop running (ran out of juice on the camera as well while collecting dark frames at the end of the night).

I was running it all off a small deep cycle battery in a field at a park I was trying out for the first time. It's on an island not too far from my place, but it's much darker. I had two police officers roll up on me with flood lamps blasting in my face earlier in the night, ruining some of my autoguided shots of NGC 4565 (didn't end up collecting enough data on that to make a useable image, I'll add more to it later). I was well within my right to be there, and they were actually pretty cool with it once I explained what I was doing, they even offered to let me stay in the park as late as I wanted past the closing time at midnight. I think it may become a regular observing site for me.

Attachments

• Lagoon Nebula Gimp2_filteredweb.jpg
    Lagoon Nebula Gimp2_filteredweb.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 47

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I took some more of the lagoon, and this time included the Trifid. It's actually a two image mosaic using a total of an hour of data.
LagoonandTrifid1280Web.jpg

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not as exciting as the transit of Venus, but here are some pictures I took earlier with my makeshift solar viewing device. This has been contrast and brightness enhanced to show the sunspots more clearly (they are demarcated with diagonal cyan lines). However, the most prominent sunspots are visible in the unaltered image (shown on the lower right at a greatly reduced resolution) as well as to the naked eye.

They are consistent with the pattern in NovaSilisko's pictures of the transit.

attachment.php

Yes, I know- this is a horribly poor image. But I think it's awesome, for one small reason: I took it using a setup that I created myself. That definitely gives one a warm, fuzzy feeling. :p

Last edited:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Bit late, but here's my Venus Transit shot. Afocal, using a 102mm Celestron WideView refractor on alt-az mount, image-erector, and 25mm Celestron eyepiece, with Canon S3IS bridge cam. Taken at Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.

ven_tran_afocal_002.jpg

-RODION

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Was able to capture Saturn tonight through my 10" LX90 using a Phillips webcam and 2x Barlow lens.
1700 images stacked with Registack.

83206372.jpg

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Great shot of the planetary cloud bands.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Taken during the Venus Transit, it was taken using my father's Samsung Galaxy tablet. you can see the sunspots too. Both of us had to use the paper method to see it which my father was holding the paper.
20120605_192911.jpg