Artificial food coming soon.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
How long before we get giant protein vats full of the stuff?

I always thought that's what they served while I was in the NAVY. It was a big vat of generic food that just got pumped into different molds.

We called it "Universal Meat Substitute", along with "Universal Starch Substitute". We used that logic to rationalize why all the food tasted the same.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Freeze them in liquid nitrogen and hope someone in the 22nd century would revive them?

Remove internal organs and put into canopic jars. Preserve the body with natron and herbal stuff. Mummify and put into sarcophagus. Enchant with badass curse.
imhotep.jpg

Gonna be a riot in a couple of millennia.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
This graphic displays the number of animals kept for food production now:

land_mammals.png

Soon that may become zero:

February 19, 2017
Lab grown meat prices have dropped 30,000 times in less than four years and are about 3-4 times more expensive than regular ground beef.
Lab-grown meat could be on your plate within the next five years. For the past few years, the barrier to getting test-tube meat into the hands of consumers has been the cost of production. In 2013, it was around $325,000 to make this stuff in a lab, but the process has been refined, and the cost now is just $11.36.
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/02/lab-grown-meat-prices-have-dropped.html

A friend asked me an interesting question: if meat is only produced artificially will vegans still refuse to eat it?

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I doubt it to happen at all to go to zero. Alone because its simpler to let Nature handle this. You need no lab, no patents, no electricity. Just time, care and a kitchen.

How good $11 is depends also on: How much meat. $11 per kg would mean its still more expensive than other "undefined industrial meat" for human consumption as producer. If you sell the same meat as premium dog food, it costs $40 for the consumer, BTW.

If you could get the production to something of multiple hundred tons per day, at a few cent per kg, you could have something to replace the unidentifyable meat patties in a fast food restaurant. What they sell there is really cheap, even in Germany with pretty high standards, it is still only by small definitions better than slaughterhouse waste.

And to your friend: If they are smart vegans, they will refuse to eat it. Smart vegans don't replace meat, they simply eat something that is not even reminding them of meat. Vegetarian sausages for example are more for meat eaters who want to eat a bit less meat for a month.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Soon that may become zero:

You might be forgetting that the better part of livestock is not kept to produce meat... :shifty:

Any artificial milk and eggs coming soon?

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
You might be forgetting that the better part of livestock is not kept to produce meat... :shifty:

Any artificial milk and eggs coming soon?

Yes, for milk:

This new dairy alternative is made from real milk proteins - but with no cows required.
The future is served.
JACINTA BOWLER 29 AUG 2016
http://www.sciencealert.com/this-ne...-real-milk-proteins-but-with-no-cows-required

Since meat and milk are made from proteins I imagine it can also be done for eggs.

Bob Clark

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Some people just don't like the taste of meat. Others believe that meat is unhealthy.

Is the meat muscle tissue only, or is there fat?

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
I think the artificial meat is just muscle tissue right now.

Good point. Despite the many negative statements said about fat, some types are required for health.

It reminds me of a study done a few years ago. If various vitamins and minerals are required for good health, some believed megadoses would be protective against disease. A long-term research study with thousands of participants was initiated to test the idea. It turned out the people with the megadoses did worse than the control subjects.

When the scientists conducting the study noticed this, that they were causing people to get diseases and even die early, they cut off the research study early.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Good point. Despite the many negative statements said about fat, some types are required for health.

It reminds me of a study done a few years ago. If various vitamins and minerals are required for good health, some believed megadoses would be protective against disease. A long-term research study with thousands of participants was initiated to test the idea. It turned out the people with the megadoses did worse than the control subjects.

Yeah - quite many actually do slight overdoses with supplements. Usually not harmful, but you can harm your kidneys when you go too far there. "The dose creates the poison" as Paracelsus famously said ("Alle Dinge sind Gift, und nichts ist ohne Gift; allein die dosis machts, daß ein Ding kein Gift sei.").

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
Interesting article on the lab grown meat issue:

ENVIRONMENT
Will 2019 be the year of lab-grown meat?
After years in the lab, will meats derived from animal cells finally break into the mainstream consumer market? The products could have huge implications for the planet, human health and animal welfare.
Date 03.01.2019
Author Sam Baker
https://www.dw.com/en/will-2019-be-the-year-of-lab-grown-meat/a-46943665

It contains a link to research from the early 2,000's supported by NASA that I didn't know about on lab grown seafood and meat for space missions. This would have obvious benefits to colonization.

Also an interesting discussion on the beneficial effects on the environment when all this land area doesn't have to be used to raise livestock.

May also eliminate world hunger when food becomes cheap and plentiful.

And also eliminate the ethical issues for raising large numbers of animals solely to be used as food.

Bob Clark