Vessel Aries Space Park update

mc_

Reaction score
Short time ago (probably, after downloading the Manifest) i opened for myself the "Rag Tag Fleet".
"Aries Space Park" is my favorite vessel from there (i do love gravity wheels :love:), it is perfect for travelling along the solar system.

But there is some things can be improved. Main problem is the RCS engines. With current settings Orbiter's default autpilots are completely unable to handle it.

Iw ill not write here a common "UMMU/UCGO/functional VC adding" request, ship control is much more important. (but rear hangar bay looks like a right place to store the boxes ;) )

Thanks for any kind of help,
Best regards,

mc_

SpacePark.gif

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Shouldn't you have asked this at the RTF place? :lol:

It's not that hard to get around the RCS problem anyway. Just manually set yourself going in the right direction and use the autopilot to hold yourself there once you're in the right orientation.

Ragtag

Reaction score
Well a functional VC will never happen because I don't beleive in them. I'm not sure of what use UMMU is but I have a mod that allows you to add UMMU to any ship. Well I have a mod that allows me to add them. It's not public because it's a gray area as far as Dan's user agreement goes. UCGO could be an option if I ever revisit the DLL but you have given me an idea. I could use the same method I used to add UMMU to any ship to add UCGO to any ship. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I should have added that your post title is misleading because it leads one to think that the space park has been updated and it has not. In fact I only looked at it because I thought, "who the heck is updating my model" and had to take a look.

mc_

Reaction score
I'm not sure of what use UMMU is but I have a mod that allows you to add UMMU to any ship. Well I have a mod that allows me to add them. It's not public because it's a gray area as far as Dan's user agreement goes.
I've heard something about "UMMU limitations" - one well known addon author was answering a question about why he don't using it.

UMMU is about to land, EVA and setting a flag :lol:
It will take a very long time to decide, is it enough to have ummu on lander only (it becomes decorative) or the mothership is ought to have it too (crew management becomes wery complicated, if the ship is large). So, lets not offtop here ;-)

UCGO could be an option if I ever revisit the DLL but you have given me an idea. I could use the same method I used to add UMMU to any ship to add UCGO to any ship. Thanks!
No, thanks you for answering!

I should have added that your post title is misleading because it leads one to think that the space park has been updated and it has not. In fact I only looked at it because I thought, "who the heck is updating my model"
Sory for misleading, i just saw the thread XL5 Fireball with a [vessel] tag, and decided to use the same. Doing it wrong, of course.

Maybe, i should have registered at RTF forum and ask a questions there, but... i just dont like the process of registration, especially at another language (you can see where am i from). It's just hard each time.

Anyway, thanks for the great vessels. It just made me return to Orbiter after a long tome out.

:hail::probe:

Last edited:

Ragtag

Reaction score
I've heard something about "UMMU limitations" - one well known addon author was answering a question about why he don't using it.

UMMU is about to land, EVA and setting a flag :lol:
It will take a very long time to decide, is it enough to have ummu on lander only (it becomes decorative) or the mothership is ought to have it too (crew management becomes wery complicated, if the ship is large). So, lets not offtop here ;-)

No, thanks you for answering!

Sory for misleading, i just saw the thread XL5 Fireball with a [vessel] tag, and decided to use the same. Doing it wrong, of course.

Maybe, i should have registered at RTF forum and ask a questions there, but... i just dont like the process of registration, especially at another language (you can see where am i from). It's just hard each time.

Anyway, thanks for the great vessels. It just made me return to Orbiter after a long tome out.

:hail::probe:

I understand and I'm happy to answer you here. I just wanted to make it clear that there wasn't an update to the add-on.

Sorry, I should have said that I didn't know what use UMMU was for this ship. I think UMMU is a fine add-on and I plan to have it on all future add-ons.

I am updating some of my add-ons to add UMMU and UCGO to them but I wasn't planning to do the space park because it needs a lot of model work to make it look good close up when using UMMUs.

I just took a look at the space park and I agree that the RCS needs to be changed so I will make a change within the next week. I will also look to see how hard it will be to add UMMU and UCGO to it.

I will post here to let you know when it is updated.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

I have made available a new DLL with more powerful thrust for Main and RCS. It is available at the Rag Tag Fleet site where you download the Space Park from. It does not add UMMU or UCGO to the Space Park at this time.

Last edited:

mc_

Reaction score
Thank you,
gonna try it right now.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Strange settings. Default autopilots are fine now, rcs controls became easyer (no need to use X10 time warp sometimes on docking).

But the main and retro engines was OK before.
Now the ship acts like a fighter, no sense of a huge&heavy thing...

Last edited:

Ragtag

Reaction score
Thank you,
gonna try it right now.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Strange settings. Default autopilots are fine now, rcs controls became easyer (no need to use X10 time warp sometimes on docking).

But the main and retro engines was OK before.
Now the ship acts like a fighter, no sense of a huge&heavy thing...

I thought it might be to much. It a little hard to get right because I lost the original source code and had to recreate it as best I could.

I've made another DLL for you to try out. it is the second one called QJPark0807.zip

It may take time but I'm sure we can get it right.

Last edited:

mc_

Reaction score
Thats it, thank you:thumbup:

Main and retro thurst are fine now, rcs shows a little unstability - "hits target" from second attempt. Ship rotates fast enough (5 degrees/sec or so), docking is easy.

Looks like its not a ship, but Orbiter's default autopilot logic problem now (rememder IMFD handles well with almost any vessel).

Btw, fuel tanks capacity has been changed (it was 10M before update). dVmax is still the same?

Ragtag

Reaction score
Thats it, thank you:thumbup:

Main and retro thurst are fine now, rcs shows a little unstability - "hits target" from second attempt. Ship rotates fast enough (5 degrees/sec or so), docking is easy.

Looks like its not a ship, but Orbiter's default autopilot logic problem now (rememder IMFD handles well with almost any vessel).

Btw, fuel tanks capacity has been changed (it was 10M before update). dVmax is still the same?

I could change it to that but it will affect the way it handles. I tried to balance the mass of the ship and fuel to get a better feel to it. Like I said before I lost the original source code on that ship and had to try to recreate it as best I could. I don't have any idea what the old flight model settings were.

This is the reason I offered the new DLL files as options. If you don't want to use the new ones you can download the full add-on again and be back to the way it was.

That is an old ship and I lost a lot of files when lighting hit my house and damaged most of my computer equipment.