Search Ares V

Puma

Reaction score
Here is the official pic from the NASA web site (as it should be)
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/206402main_jsc2007e113280.jpg
it has a little difference from the previous one..in the down side part..it doesn`t look like a box..so you are right in that way..but also download the
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/289914main_fs_altair_lunar_lander.pdf
this doc shows a pic bellow that seems like is the same concept but the box type is in the back side..remember also that the Altair lander will be used as lander for manned missions and also for transport many things to the moon surface like the actual existing Lunar Electric Rover...if you see the manned mission pic shows long tanks in the bellow of the lander ...the first pic that could be for transport does not show them and is logical because if you send an Lunar Electric Rover or other cargo to the moon you will not need Oxygen..it makes a lot of sense..but either one you want to create will be great because the actual Altair for Orbiter does not look like neither of those..(see attachment)
you could at least change the gold color to a silver color..I think I like a lot the new design much better...

Attachments

• orbiter altair.JPG
    orbiter altair.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Thanks a lot.

BTW, does anyone know the separate propelent masses for the ascent and descent stages of the lander? What about the ISP of both stages?

Puma

Reaction score
could you upload a beta of the new altair for test?

Columbia42

Reaction score
At long last, I'm almost done with this addon. All I need is the attitude thrust for the lander. Also, I have the EDS's attitude thrust at 980N but it's way to low to provide good manuevering capabilities. Does anyone have a different figure for that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At long last, I'm almost done with this addon. All I need is the attitude thrust for the lander. Also, I have the EDS's attitude thrust at 980N but it's way to low to provide good manuevering capabilities. Does anyone have a different figure for that?

Can't tell you, but it is likely they use the same thrusters as for the Ares-I RoCS. It is in the fitting thrust range, just like the Space Shuttle Orbiter PRCS.

santy86

Reaction score
I suppose it is per thruster. That would work well on the EDS. As you said before 980N is not enough.

About the lander I don't know, but you could test it with some values by putting the lander on the moon or in moon's orbit.

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
CTD at EDS separation... :(

Sugestion:

Instead of

Code:
[PAYLOAD_0]
MESHNAME="Altair"
NAME=Altair
OFF=(0,0,22.61)
MASS=45000
MODULE=spacecraft/spacecraft3
SPEED=(0,0,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)

Deifne the Altair as:

Code:
[PAYLOAD_0]
MESHNAME="Altair_descent;altair_Ascent"
NAME=Altair
OFF=(0,0,22.61;0,0,25.31)
MASS=45000
MODULE=spacecraft/spacecraft3
SPEED=(0,0,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)
RENDER=1

on EDS config file AND EDS/Altair Stack as

Code:
[PAYLOAD_1]
off=(0,0,43;0,0,65.61;0,0,68.31)
Mass=329100
Meshname="Ares & Orion/eds;Altair_descent;Altair_Ascent"    
Name="EDS"
Module="spacecraft/spacecraft3"
SPEED=(0,0,5)
RENDER=1

on Ares 1 config File

Columbia42

Reaction score
Quick question: are the booster parameters (fuel mass, empty mass, thrust, etc.) for multistage2 per booster or are they for all of the boosters combined?