Ares I-X Updates

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
We're on T-28 days and everything looks great! Rollout will be on October 19th from the VAB to Pad 39B.

note: this will be the last time two vehicles will be on both pads as Atlantis will be on Pad 39A when Ares I-X launches out of Pad 39B.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launch is too far away... I'm eager to see how viable this pencil really is. ;)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Uhmm.. as much as I enjoy bashing the Ares I in favor of an EELV/HLV/Direct design, this thread is about Ares I-X processing, so please either drop the subject or move it to another thread. Thanks!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey look, I spotted the Ares I-X at Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC!

NationalControlTower.jpg

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Launch is too far away... I'm eager to see how viable this pencil really is. ;)

Well lets assume for the moment that Ares is a pencil.

Ares 1-X looks like the pencil, but has no graphite in it (So you can't write with it). The casing is meant to be wood, but for the moment it is just plastic that looks like wood.

So we have a pencil that looks the same, but will not really represent the final product....but you can test how it will feel in the hands.

:hmm:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, it occurred to me that somewhere there is documentation which defines what the objectives of the I-X test flight are. Would be nice if we could link to it.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...ght&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Down the bottom is the summary

The Ares I-X ascent development flight test will provide significant data and understanding to be used in the design and development of the Ares I. Although the vehicles are not identical, they are enough alike to meet the mission objectives and support Ares I development. The number one primary objective is to demonstrate control of a vehicle dynamically similar to the Ares I using Ares I relevant flight control algorithms.

This objective will be met because the flight control system architecture, including the gain and phase stabilization, is similar for Ares I-X and Ares I, and the same GN&C team is working on both vehicles. Differences in structural dynamics and sensor placement related to flight control will be accounted for and incorporated during post-flight analysis of the data using the design and analysis tools and models that were used prior to flight.

The second primary objective is to perform an in-flight separation/staging event between the first and upper stage. Although the Ares I and Ares I-X staging scenarios are different, the data acquired during Ares I-X will help engineers evaluate the basic kinematics of staging for this class of vehicle, the timing of the staging sequence, the effectiveness of the BDMs, the FS thrust side load at staging, and pyroshock and debris transport properties.

The third primary objective is to demonstrate assembly and recovery of a new Ares I-like FS element at KSC. Although not discussed in this paper, Ares I-X provides the initial opportunity for processing, stacking, assembly, and recovery operations at KSC with a FS similar to Ares I.

The fourth primary objective is to demonstrate FS separation sequencing and quantify FS atmospheric entry dynamics and parachute performance. While there are some deficiencies in modeling all aspects of staging with different separation planes for Ares I-X and Ares I, this flight test demonstration will exercise a FS tumble, initiation of parachute deployment, deceleration using prototype Ares I main parachutes, and separation of the FS nozzle extension. Furthermore, flight data will be acquired to assess the models used to develop the FS atmospheric descent dynamics.

The fifth primary objective is to characterize the magnitude of integrated vehicle roll torque throughout FS Flight. Pure vehicle roll torque data are expected to be obtained by incorporating small periods of time throughout ascent when the roll control system will not be active.

Finally, while it was not originally conceived as a primary flight test objective, the potential for FS thrust oscillation (identified during Ares I design and analysis) will be addressed on Ares I-X by relocating and adding DFI to characterize the nature of the thrust oscillation for its four- segment RSRM.

In addition to the five primary objectives, there are six secondary objectives. They include (1) quantifying the effectiveness of the FS booster deceleration motors, (2) characterizing the induced environments and loads on the flight test vehicle during the ascent flight phase, (3) demonstrating a procedure to determine the vehicle’s pre-launch geodetic orientation vector for initializing the flight control system, (4) characterizing induced loads on the launch vehicle on the launch pad, (5), assessing potential Ares I access locations in the Vehicle Assembly Building and on the pad, and (6)validating FS electrical umbilical performance.

Ares I-X has sufficient similitude with Ares I to meet all five primary objectives and all six secondary objectives. Ares I-X data will be used to validate tools and models being used in Ares I design and analysis and will be available in time to be incorporated into the Ares I design before its critical design review scheduled for 2011

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! Now we can have an adult discussion about something concrete instead of all the nonsense that's infected this thread.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
That's a pretty awesome video. I especially liked the part where the supervisors are just kinda hanging out in the middle in their chairs.

How much time did all this take?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Were the large things in the 1st minute of the video the SRB segments? I thought the SRB segments would come with solid fuel inside, but those ones looked almost empty!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Were the large things in the 1st minute of the video the SRB segments? I thought the SRB segments would come with solid fuel inside, but those ones looked almost empty!
No. Those are the Upper Stage Simulator(USS) segments. The SRM segments are processed inside a separate facility called the Rotation, Processing and Surge Facility(RPSF) which is located north of the VAB.

Google Maps view of the RPSF: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.590808,-80.65391&spn=0.001366,0.00284&t=h&z=19

Once they have been inspected in the RPSF they're moved vertical on yellow pallets to the two SRM segment storage facilities called Surge 1 and Surge 2 for storage until everything is ready for stacking on a Mobile Launcher Platform(MLP) in one of the VAB's two assembly/integration cells.

Google Maps view of Surge 1 and Surge 2: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.591884,-80.652491&spn=0.002732,0.005681&t=h&z=18

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Rollout at 12:01 a.m Tuesday morning. This rollout is 10 hours long, should get to LC39B by 10 a.m.