AutopilotMFD Are there any autopilot mfds?

startrekmaniac

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I really want to play this game but I dont want to learn the dynamics of the game. Are there any mfds that will orbit/deorbit, change the attitude/direction of the space craft, Trans Ejections, docking, and pin point land? Or is there an all in one mfd? Like I said I really dont have the time to learn about the dynamics of the game and if you guys could help me that would really be appreciated!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
There are many autopilots MFDs, some are built into some of the ships, but not a one-MFD-for-all-your-needs.

Where is the pleasure of "playing a game" (any) if you can't be bothered learning how it works?
The beauty of Orbiter is exactly in that it teaches you how things really work.
I don't understand...

sorindafabico

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5269"]Universal Autopilots 0.3.1[/ame]

But, soon, you'll want to learn the dynamics - that's where the gold of Orbiter is in.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really want to play this game but I dont want to learn the dynamics of the game.

I'm afraid in case of orbiter, learning the mechanics is what the game is all about :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Like I said I really dont have the time to learn about the dynamics of the game and if you guys could help me that would really be appreciated!

Wouldn't it then be better for you, to download the russian spaceflight screensaver from Buran.ru and watch it extensively?

I mean... what is really hard about orbital mechanics? Everybody could do it, if it wouldn't be illegal in most countries.

Disclaimer: And no, this is not the arrogant attitude of some guy who studied it already. You need to study complex stuff for CALCULATING everything in advance or simulate it in Orbiter. But for piloting, you only need to know some simple rules, which are mostly about simple geometry, to understand what the consequences of your piloting are. Planning a trajectory in IMFD or TransX is not that hard, if you just learn how you navigate in space.

And reentry? Simple: Descend too fast = You burn up. Descend too slow: You skip or stall. Descend at the right speed = You are riding the red line and feel fine.

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Short answer: No sorry, there are no such MFDs.

Longish answer: We do have loads of autopilot MFDs, some of which do loads of different stuff individually, like Universal Autopilots, quite often with simplicity at the level of "take me here". Unfortunately, you still do need a bit of an understanding of the mechanics that you're playing with to tie them all together to get things done.

On the upside, you don't need a MASSIVE understanding of what's happening to do cool basic stuff - e.g. as Urwumpe said, using InterplanetryMFD to fly around all the planets is fairly simple if you follow the tutorials on its homepage, it just needs a few minutes extra thought past "I'd like to go to Mars now, please".

Hope that helps. :tiphat:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
:hesaid:

Using a do-everything MFD you'll be able to reach anywhere in the Solar System, but I doubt you will be able to do cool things like gravitational slingshots or use Mars atmosphere to change your orbital plane and brake to reach Phobos/Deimos from Earth.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, plotting a trajectory is not much different to plotting a route between two cities without a navigation system doing everything for you. See this comparison of the terms:

GND NAV | SPC NAV | What it actually means
Leave parking lot|Ascent|Lift off into Earth orbit
Leave hometown|Trans-Mars Injection|Eject from Earth gravity well
Get on the right highway|Mars Transfer Orbit|Enter orbit around the sun between Earth and Mars
Leave highway at the right exit|-|Enter gravity well of Mars (happens)
Drive on the destination road|Mars Orbit Insertion|Slow down to enter orbit around Mars
Park your car|Deorbit|Leave orbit for the surface of Mars

The fun starts when you realize, that you can really land on a base on Mars with just one long burn from leaving the surface of Earth - if the conditions are right. And knowing if the conditions are right is something, no autopilot can do for you. A MFD could calculate options and make suggestions, but you need experience and some thinking to decide which is really the best option for the mission.

Sometimes, the best solution that a MFD could calculate, is actually impossible to fly for you, because no computer can get you the accuracy you really need for this trajectory to work out.

Last edited:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I use hovermfd. I am more for the automation sci fi kinda experience and I am loving this little tool. It will not take you to another planet but when you get to where your going I will land you with very little help from you. A correction here and there kinda thing. Like I said sci fi experience so I also used rwarp as well. Earth to Mars in 2 min. Love it.
So the warp. Turn on the landing. Nothing like watching your ship work it's wonders. It has also helped me with free flight as well. As I can let hover do the altitude and I can worry about the flying (I'm using a ship with hover engines so more control yes but hard to fly in atmo.). Hope it helps