Flight Question Are the flight characteristics of the X-37B accurate?

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I successfully deorbited and landed the X-37B while using computerex's OrbDamage addon. MaxG was set at 7Gs. What I would like to know is as I approached the end of the runway for touchdown my air speed was about 100 m/s or about 224mph, and is this enough airspeed to realistically maintain stability in a lifting body of this design?

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
We don't have specific information on the x-37's flight characteristics as the USAF has not released them.

Liber's addon is a "best guess" approximation based on it's observed flight profile/characteristics.

Last edited:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I really hope they consider a manned version of the X-37. I think it would be a good investment. Plus it'd be heck of a bird to fly! ;)

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
OK. How about the way Orbiter models flight dynamics. Would an object with the same aerodynamic shape as the X-37B Orbiter model behave the same in the real world as the model does in the Orbiter world?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. How about the way Orbiter models flight dynamics. Would an object with the same aerodynamic shape as the X-37B Orbiter model behave the same in the real world as the model does in the Orbiter world?
No. The physics engine doesn't care what the mesh looks like, you need to design its flight characteristics manually in the vessel's module or Spacecraft INI.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
OK so you could have a block that flies like a F-22. Thats good to know if i ever learn programming.... and designing.... and other things...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK so you could have a block that flies like a F-22. Thats good to know if i ever learn programming.... and designing.... and other things...
Well, I doubt you can make a living on code specific to Orbiter, and I really hope you don't design real spacecraft using Orbiter as design software... :lol:

I've heard that the X-Plane physics engine can derive aerodynamic attributes based on the physical model of the craft, though with what accuracy I know not. (Not that you should use X-Plane as aerospace design software, either!) :rofl:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, I doubt you can make a living on code specific to Orbiter, and I really hope you don't design real spacecraft using Orbiter as design software... :lol:

I've heard that the X-Plane physics engine can derive aerodynamic attributes based on the physical model of the craft, though with what accuracy I know not. (Not that you should use X-Plane as aerospace design software, either!) :rofl:

:rofl: i dont think I'll try haha.But im not a huge X-plane fan anyways. I was meaning learning that as a hobby haha.