Are spirits a different life form?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
yeah orbs, lol... flying bugs more like.

Speaking of weird things in photos, a couple of years ago i stumbled on this great site, where this guy photo documents old structures - insane asylums, hospitals, etc. basically breaking in and looking around before they're demolished. It's not about ghosts or spirits or anything paranormal at all but there is a page here which documents weird, and very weird in one case, mists and things that appeared in the photos that apparently were not there at the time. Either they're hoaxed for a laugh - which i doubt considering the nature of the site and they don't look photoshopped, or a weird effect in the camera itself for some reason or perhaps its something altogether more exotic.

i draw no conclusions, but it's weird eh?

Napes Weaver

Spaced Agency
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The way people talk about death often reminds me of the way the big bang is sometimes discussed: They'll say something akin to the fact that time was non-existent and then in the same breath try to describe how long ago it happened. It seems pretty foolish to me to assume that there's no more to the world than meets my fleshy eyeballs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This certainly is not the consensus theory of even 20 years ago.

Also, don't forget Hawking radiation, which is still only predicted but not measured - but the theory why this radiation should exist is pretty solid, and people are already busy locating microscopic black holes in the upper atmosphere, as evidence for them.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It seems pretty foolish to me to assume that there's no more to the world than meets my fleshy eyeballs.

TRANSFOOOORM!

Anyway, I'd like to quote good old Jack Burton: "Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe."

As for spirits, I'm afraid being one of them is going to be the only way to get Melinda Gordon interested in us.
1269991966_a3b2e31011.jpg

Hm. I could think of worse reasons...

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
The same physical rules do apply regardless of scale - we just don't have a full understanding of what those rules are just yet.

I can't imagine things being any other way. If the alternative is true, the only way to regard it would be as an "Easter Egg" left by God to prove not only that he exists and takes a personal interest in little bitty humans, but also that he's been jerking us around all this time :rofl:.

I would argue that as my predictions asymptotically approach the predictions of the real solution, the greater the paradigm shift required to arrive at that real solution.

I agree. I'm just saying that relativity and quantum mechanics seem to be approaching different asymptotes that are pretty far apart. That compounds the problem of unifying them, don't you think?

I'm really looking forward to September, when they fire up the LHC. That's going to produce very interesting results no matter what happens. Maybe they'll find the Higgs boson, maybe dark matter, maybe proof of superstrings (and thus a good start on the "theory of everything"), maybe even proof of extra dimensions :). OTOH, maybe they won't find anything new, or maybe just the Higgs boson and nothing else. This would send them back to the theory drawing board with little or nothing to go on as help to developing a new theory. Either way, come next Spring when I expect the 1st papers to be out, we'll definitely know more about the universe or at least the level of our understanding of it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Maybe they'll find the Higgs boson, maybe dark matter, maybe proof of superstrings (and thus a good start on the "theory of everything"), maybe even proof of extra dimensions :). OTOH, maybe they won't find anything new, or maybe just the Higgs boson and nothing else.
Even finding none of these things will narrow the range of possible solutions, so either way it is a good thing. :cheers:

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I came in here to post "spirits = load of bull" and found that I'd already done so. Obviously my spirit self preceedes me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Look up (if you're not standing in an apple farm).

he is seeing not zero apples, that implies he is seeing at least one apple.

Most animals have a good understanding of the number zero, as they don't cause such a noise around it. They know that zero bananas in a bucket are worse than 1 banana in a bucket.

Denying that the number zero is a naturalistic phenomena, is denying your biological nature...heretic! Burn him!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
he is seeing not zero apples, that implies he is seeing at least one apple.

Most animals have a good understanding of the number zero, as they don't cause such a noise around it. They know that zero bananas in a bucket are worse than 1 banana in a bucket.

Denying that the number zero is a naturalistic phenomena, is denying your biological nature...heretic! Burn him!

Zero (speaking in terms of whole numbers) is less than one and more than (-1). Therefore, if there is less than one apple and no apple pieces in my sight, I'm seeing zero apples.

I don't care about philosophy and naturalistic phenomena, this is common sense.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Zero (speaking in terms of whole numbers) is less than one and more than (-1). Therefore, if there is less than one apple and no apple pieces in my sight, I'm seeing zero apples.

I don't care about philosophy and naturalistic phenomena, this is common sense.

Yes, but when you are not seeing zero (n != 0) apples you see one or more apple (negative apples are a human concept... apples that should be there)

But that is not indicating at all, that he is really not capable of seeing zero apples. He just says so, because he can't believe, that he is seeing zero apples. I won't blame him for that.

I think the same when I see zero lesbian witches.