Discussion ARCA's flying ocean launch platform

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Romanian Cosmonautics and Aeronautics Association is a Google Lunar X Prize competitor from Romania. They've got an interesting idea for a launch platform - a seaplane carrier ship. Development seems to have stopped at drop-testing the detachable cockpit some time ago, so it may be a while before anything else happens.

I just rather liked the sound of a rocket-launching-seaplane. :lol:
111.png

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
.. and a Sea Dart.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's what happens when an F-22, Falcon-9 and a hydroplane have a threeway...

I now have "It's OK if it's a three way" (from Lonely Island) playing in my head now.

It's kind of neat looking, and certainly interesting.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score

Why it might be OT? This thread is about "ARCA's flying ocean launch platform" (IAR-111), as opposed to the actual rocket it'll be launching.

It also occurred to me that if I mentioned the Haas 2C, it might start discussion on the Haas, as opposed to the IAR. I've seen a lot of posts on NSF where someone OT mentions a "certain company" and things gets seriously OT. Seriously OT.

In short, I just thought that this was a thread purely on the plane, not the rocket, so I put a warning/apology. Begs the question of why I posted it to begin with then...

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Why it might be OT? This thread is about "ARCA's flying ocean launch platform" (IAR-111), as opposed to the actual rocket it'll be launching.

It also occurred to me that if I mentioned the Haas 2C, it might start discussion on the Haas, as opposed to the IAR. I've seen a lot of posts on NSF where someone OT mentions a "certain company" and things gets seriously OT. Seriously OT.

In short, I just thought that this was a thread purely on the plane, not the rocket, so I put a warning/apology. Begs the question of why I posted it to begin with then...

I'm more confused about the "whys" of program itself.

Why make it a sea-plane, why compromise aerodynamics and mass ratio to give it a low radar cross section? What role is this craft supposed to fill?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I'm more confused about the "whys" of program itself.

Why make it a sea-plane, why compromise aerodynamics and mass ratio to give it a low radar cross section? What role is this craft supposed to fill?

You know, it just occurred to me that you have a point. The only advantages the IAR 111 MIGHT have with launching the Haas 2 is that it is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_launch_to_orbit"]air launch system[/ame], with the aircraft carrier providing similar advantages to a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Launch"]sea launch system[/ame]. That's possibly a technical justification for it, though in my opinion, a PR objective might be a true motive.

I have no idea why they made it a sea-plane, because similar (if not superior) performance could have been achieved with a regular aircraft carrier and a fighter jet-thingy architecture. Exactly how they plan to fill it with LOX and RP-1 and then have that "cold" rocket contact "warm" ocean water is beyond me. Unless, of course, that carrier provides the LOX, which I doubt.

That "low radar cross section" might be due to the fact that its a efficient shape for supersonic flight. Another possible reason is because it might appeal to the military or otherwise have military applications. Romania IS right next to Ukraine after all...

ARCA had a reason for doing this architecture, and we might never know said reason. It could've been for either technical or public relations reasons.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, their experiments with carrier balloons show that their rocket does not have the bang it takes to go to orbit from the ground.
But why choose a seaplane? I have no idea.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launch from the water, and you virtually eliminate the constraints on launch inclination imposed by launching from a fixed land-based launch facility. (More flexible launch windows, etc)

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Launch from the water, and you virtually eliminate the constraints on launch inclination imposed by launching from a fixed land-based launch facility. (More flexible launch windows, etc)

But does that justify a seaplane? A aircraft carrier with a rocket carrying aircraft could easily suffice...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

That might be well and good, but you get those advantages to a maybe lesser, but still by no means insignificant degree for any air-launched or floating system without combining the too, and it still doesn't explain why anyone would want to submerge a rocket, filled with potentially cryogenic propellant and sensitive technology, in salt water for what has to be at least an hour, probably more, before launch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That "low radar cross section" might be due to the fact that its a efficient shape for supersonic flight.

Thats wrong. What is good for reducing RCS is actually very harmful to aerodynamics, including the performance at supersonic flight.