Question anyone know how to fix this problem?

stealthstar

Reaction score
Hi all. Im still experiencing constant critical error crashes because of this with the Soyuz series addon. I tried extracting the addon directily to orbiter 2010. But this is the diagnostic report after analyzing when it was installed: Scenarios directory found: OK.
Meshes directory found: OK.
Config directory found: OK.
Base.cfg found: NO.
Vessels directory found: NO.

VINKA's SPACECRAFT ADDON
----------------------------------------------------
Multistage directory found: NO.
Spacecraft directory found: OK.
Spacecraft.cfg found: NO.
Spacecraft.dll found: NO.

Spacecraft2.cfg found: NO.
Spacecraft2.dll found: NO.

Spacecraft3.cfg found: NO.
Spacecraft3.dll found: NO.

INSTALLATION ISSUES
--------------------------------------
C:\Users\Desktop\Soyuz_series_v1\Scenarios\M_Soyuz at Baikonur LC1\family.scn
MISSING CONFIG FILE Sol.cfg.

C:\Users\Desktop\Soyuz_series_v1\Scenarios\M_Soyuz at Baikonur LC1\family.scn
MISSING CFG FILE blc1arms.cfg. (Do not use this scenario)

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to ask the obvious, but...

Do you have Spacecraft3 and Multistage2 installed in your Orbiter?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to ask the obvious, but...

Do you have Spacecraft3 and Multistage2 installed in your Orbiter?

No but it sounds like a must have (that really should be included with addons that requires it for it to work) Ill install that and try another re install of the Soyuz series addon. Could you post me a link to the download site of those programs?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No but it sounds like a must have (that really should be included with addons that requires it for it to work) Ill install that and try another re install of the Soyuz series addon. Could you post me a link to the download site of those programs?

Most addons tell you what other addons are required, when you download them. You only need to download them once, no need to include them, in every addon that uses them.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like you downloaded this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5972"]Soyuz Series[/ame]
Which states, in highlighted text: "Please, you must ABSOLUTLY read the manual for best use, command, and autopilot."
And in the manual is a section (marked by a red border and exclamation point warning symbol) listing eight prerequisite addons.

stealthstar

Reaction score
It looks like you downloaded this: Soyuz Series
Which states, in highlighted text: "Please, you must ABSOLUTLY read the manual for best use, command, and autopilot."
And in the manual is a section (marked by a red border and exclamation point warning symbol) listing eight prerequisite addons.

That's weird. They should just include those programs in the addon file if they are required to make the addon work. Honistily, do people even test and take time making these addons? or do they just slap an addon together without even bothering to test it first?:facepalm:

Castor

Reaction score
That's weird. They should just include those programs in the addon file if they are required to make the addon work. Honistily, do people even test and take time making these addons? or do they just slap an addon together without even bothering to test it first?

The addons required may be made by another author. In such a case, in order to ensure that the user always gets the most up-to-date addons, it is a common practice not to include all of the required addons.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
That's weird. They should just include those programs in the addon file if they are required to make the addon work. Honistily, do people even test and take time making these addons? or do they just slap an addon together without even bothering to test it first?:facepalm:

Please feel free to not use their addons, and continue to lack any sign of logic whatsoever.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
That's weird. They should just include those programs in the addon file if they are required to make the addon work.

Plus, in addition to what Castor said, if those other required add-ons are from a different author, including them (or worse, only the bits of them you need) in your own add-on effectively is plagarism. There are exceptions, of course, where an author gives permission to include their add-on in someone else's new add-on, but it's relatively rare.

The dependencies aren't there to make your life harder. Think of it more as a testimony to the greatness of the required add-on: "This thing is so fantastic, my spacecraft just HAS to have it too!" Vinka's spacecraft2, spacecraft3, and multistage are ALL awesome, in that they let developers do things with their spacecraft that otherwise wouldn't really be possible without some heavy duty code writing. And he deserves at least the courtesy of you going to his webpage for the 5 minutes it takes to download his stuff. Who knows, you might learn some new tidbits while you're there too. You never know. Happy downloading!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

They are not allowed to include another persons work due to copyright and intellectual property and good manners.

You'll find that addon authors test their addons extensively and if you take the time and patience to read the manual you'll get more enjoyment out of the addon.

stealthstar

Reaction score
They are not allowed to include another persons work due to copyright and intellectual property and good manners.

You'll find that addon authors test their addons extensively and if you take the time and patience to read the manual you'll get more enjoyment out of the addon.

But nobody reads the manual LOL JK. I really should though. It seems that nobody has made a fully integrated self contained Soyuz addon but instead it's a bunch of addons that are kind of like building blocks to make a Soyuz addon. There's never a Soyuz addon that has everything you need for full Soyuz in one addon. I wish someone would make a Soyuz addon like how the arrow freighter addon from Dan's orbiter page downloads.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Dear Sir.

Following your logic each add-on developer should include full orbiter package in order for add-ons to work. More so, they should include either Windows copy or Linux + WinE in order them to work. Even more so they should ship to you a PC capable of running said add-on (along with bucket of electricity).

Spacecraft3/Multistage are frameworks (like DirectX, .NET 4) In some cases creator of software has license to include needed framework along with his product and sometimes he doesn't have the license/right to do it.

There are few add-ons (2 mine for example) that are using Kulch's Payload Manager which by license agreement can't be shipped with add-on. I had a choice: don't develop add-on, ask Woo to code his own payload manager, use another manager, just slap attachment on top of rocket and require from users manually editing scenarios each time they'd want to launch something.

Or I could just pack needed files along with add-on and and ignore Kulch's license. Somebody would probably notify license violation, report it and my add-on would be deleted from OHM.

Other example:
There a lot of spacecraft that utilize UMMU/UCGO frameworks for handling the crew and cargo. To do it they need UMMU and UCGO installed and by UMMU and UCGO license you cannot redistribute them.

I'm not a fan of sc3/multistage but I understand need for it. Without it, there will be much less add-ons for orbiter. There are many add-ons that started as sc3/multistage and evolved into fully blown dll based add-ons with tons of features that exceed sc3/multistage functionality (FOI rockets for example).

Before you critize someone's work, please show us your achievements in those fields especially that you can use it for FREE! No one is forcing you to use particular add-on.

Best Regards
Loru

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
But nobody reads the manual LOL JK. I really should though. It seems that nobody has made a fully integrated self contained Soyuz addon but instead it's a bunch of addons that are kind of like building blocks to make a Soyuz addon. There's never a Soyuz addon that has everything you need for full Soyuz in one addon. I wish someone would make a Soyuz addon like how the arrow freighter addon from Dan's orbiter page downloads.

People don't typically give away months of their time for free. Even when willing, it's often nearly impossible.
If you get over your problems with reading instructions, there are many resources for learning to make your own addons.

stealthstar

Reaction score
People don't typically give away months of their time for free. Even when willing, it's often nearly impossible.
If you get over your problems with reading instructions, there are many resources for learning to make your own addons.

OK I guess I am used to the old easy way of just pushing a download button and after a quick download, presto! the adddon already in my game. but unfortunately things are allot more complicated than that for me when it comes to orbiter addons.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What game are you referring to?

Even KSP requires a similar download procedure, of one downloading a zip file and unzipping into the main KSP directory. Even in that case, you have to download frameworks, like .NET, separately if you don't have them already downloaded. :shrug: