Vessel Anyone interested in making this amazing fictional Spaceship?

thetraceur

Reaction score
Hi guys! Have you ever heard about the game Dead Space? It's a horror game set in space, on a very large spaceship called the Ishimura, the Ishimura is a planetcracking ship, which means that the ship is a mining vessel, the ship goes into a geo stationary orbit over a planet that it is gonna mine and then the gravity teathers pull up a large portion of rock from the planet, up to 14 trillion kiloton up to the geostationary orbit and then get the minerals from the ore. The backstory is VERY interesting for the game, the game itself is quite realistic infact, thing like the good zero gravity physics when you are on spacewalks and the fact that all sound except sounds going through your magnetic boots are muted, small things like that imerse you.

Here is a trailer from the game, showcasing the ship:

Here the ships is seen at the arrival of the Kellion spaceship, which are goin to the Ishimura with you, Isaac Clark ( Isaac from Isaac Asimov and Clarke from Arthur C. Clarke, awesome! ) who are an engineer, born in the U.S. sector on Earth who are sent to the Ishimura after all contact with the ship was suddenly lost, the crew which includes you, Isaac arrives at the Ishimura to fins out that all of the crew, over 1000 people are dead and the ship is a living nightmare.
dead_space_ishimura.jpg

Here is a map of the Ishimura, displaying the different parts of the ship, you visit all/most of them in the game

Loading_screen_01.jpg

Concept art of the Ishimura ( Biggest one. ) compared to smaller ships that are in the game. The ship is huge.

Dead-space-20080729042424204_640w.jpg

But here is the question, is someone interested in making the Ishimura ship in Orbiter, it would be awesome to go planetcrack Titan which was the first planet cracked planet in the Dead Space universe with this amazing ship.

Conept art of the ship while the ship is "popping the cork" as it is called.

Deadspacewideship_rotated.jpg

The hull of the ship

Concept_ishimura_in_profile.jpg

Some facts about the ship:

The ship was built in the year 2446 and was named after the japanese astrophysicist and inventor of the Shock Pointdrive ( A warp drive ) Hideki Ishimura. The ship was built in a time when Earths recources was almost gone and humanity looked up in the sky for planetery mining on large scale, the USG Ishimura ( USG stands for United Spacefaring Guild ) was the first planetcracker class vessel built and is in Dead Space the oldest one serving but still the biggest in her class. The ship holds a crew of around 1300, ranging from miners, engineers, scientists and families. The ship has done 34 planets cracks from the first planet crack made on Titan in the year 2446 to the planet crack of the planet Aegis 7 located in the Cygnus system in the year 2508, which is where the game Dead Space is set. It takes 3-5 years to prepare for a planet crack and colonies are built on the planets before they "pop the cork" and then after every preperation on the ground is finished, the USG Ishimura shockpoints in and are placed in a geostationary orbit over the planet and the place where it will planetcrack. Since it was built the USG Ishimura has mined over 14 trillion kilotons of rock from 34 planets.

Explanation of the concept of planet cracking from the game:

Type: Text
Characters: Information Packer
Chapter: 12
Can be found: Backstory Reward for Completing Game
Transcript:
(Excerpt from the CEC shareholder information packet on planetary mining)
PLANET CRACKING Planet mining is, quite literally, the dismantling of planets and moons on a macro-scale. Entire worlds are fractured to reveal the rich seams of valuable minerals contained inside. Despite environmentalist concerns, the operation is perfectly safe and is the only way to extract the necessary resources on the large scale required to supply Earth and the colonies. You may have read reports that claim the destruction of a planet can destroy an entire solar system due to the disruption in the gravitation forces that hold each celestial object in orbit. Some of the wilder reports claim this causes the whole system to spin out of control or causes planets to smash into each other. Concerned investors are directed to read the article "The CEC Pledge to the Health of Our Universe" for a detailed breakdown of the truths about Planet Cracking. The short answer is: Planet Cracking is perfectly safe and provides an essential service to Earth and the colonies. With all Planet Cracks, the planets are carefully chosen for their mineral content, net worth, and the safety with which they can be dismantled. Planet Cracking is a lengthy process spanning from three to five years. Generally, the first year is spent prospecting and setting up the colony. The second year and a half involves tectonic excavation and related planet-side activities. The Planet Cracker class ship arrives between the 2.5 and 3 year mark, depending on the progress of the excavation. Once the ship is in orbit, preparation for tectonic chunk extraction begins. This takes approximately one week. The removal of an excavated chunk from the planet into a stabilized geosynchronous orbit usually takes about 1 day (24 standard hours). During this process, billions of tons of debris break off from the underside of the chunk, creating an instant asteroid ring around the planet. While the floating debris is extremely dangerous, the Planet Cracker ships have an excellent Asteroid Defense System (ADS) to keep the ship and crew safe from harm. Depending on the size of the planet, this process is repeated until the entire planet has been broken up and processed. ABOUT US
The CEC is the largest solar mining and extraction company in the Earth colonies. It is also the fifth largest company in terms of market capital. It has become a powerhouse of industrial might and an influential political force. With a generous budget allocated to election spending, CEC has always been able to maintain and improve its market position. The CEC owns over 400 deep space vehicles including five Planet Crackers, with the famous USG Ishimura as its flagship. The CEC was the first to develop deep space mining, asteroid catchers and was the first to implement shockpoint drives for commercial use. We are the largest supplier of precious metals. Out of over three dozen Planet Cracks, only one operation has met with less than optimal results. Many may remember the Wanat Disaster 11 years ago wherein a Planet Cracker, three supply ships and a colony were lost due to a gravity tether failure. Since that time, CEC has worked closely with the manufacturers and held crew training lectures to ensure a disaster of this magnitude never happens again. We take your financial well-being and the well-being of our employees seriously. When you invest in CEC, you are investing in the future of mankind.
Taken from a backstory log from the game. If anyone are interested in making the ship for Orbiter it would be awesome! Take care// The Traceur

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like a pretty ineffective way to mine...

Also a geostationary orbit sounds cool, but since it would need serious hover thrust for not de-orbiting itself while pulling such huge rocks into space, you wouldn't even need to be in orbit.

I would even say landing it on the object that should get mined is more effective...

But anyway, that is fiction, I already hear my dilithium matrix cracking.

thetraceur

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty ineffective way to mine...

Also a geostationary orbit sounds cool, but since it would need serious hover thrust for not de-orbiting itself while pulling such huge rocks into space, you wouldn't even need to be in orbit.

I would even say landing it on the object that should get mined is more effective...

But anyway, that is fiction, I already hear my dilithium matrix cracking.

Yeah, this is fiction, but compared to most games, quite real infact. C: But the part where you said it would need very much hover thrust. Yeah I guess you're right, in the third chapter, the gravity centrifuge holding the ship in geostationary orbit with all that rock fails to run so the ships orbit is actually starting to decay and you need to turn the gravity centrifuge on again. Quote from the game:

"We've got two problems, and we're working on borrowed time here. First, there is no fuel in the engines. Second, the gravity centrifuge is offline which means
there are a couple trillion tons of rock pulling it down. I need you to get that centrifuge operational. Refuel the main engine and fire it up, so I can stabilize the ship's
orbit." And remember, this in the year 2508, though the ship was built in 2446. But a long way into the future.
Here's gameplay from that chapter when Isaac is trying to turn the centrifuge online, some cool zero gravity gamplay in there too. At 2:07 Isaacs turn on the centrifuge, the gravity turns on and the floor opens up making all the air getting sucked out. As the ships computer voice say "Centrifuge activated, re-establishing balance with planetery cargo, gravity restored, entering vacuum."

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A centrifuge helps keeping stellar attitude, but it doesn't keep altitude. You actually can't decay from geostationary orbit, like you can from the low Earth orbit of the ISS. You can just leave your position there and be in Newtons hands. But if you have 14 trillion tons tethered, you are no longer orbiting geostationary. Your center of gravity would shift on connecting to the ground, and depending on the mass of your spacecraft, it would be much lower than geostationary. If your ship would weight the same as the rock that you haul, the CoG would then be halfway between your spacecraft and the rock - and moving much slower than needed for orbital flight. Thus you need hover engines to compensate.

That is all a bit much Star Wars Physics there, so better be careful with the adjective "real". It is sure looking detailed and in itself maybe logical, but it has no relation to reality. And I can agree, it would make a nice add-on, even if it would be misplaced inside orbiters realistic simulation. We have less realistic candidates here happily as well.

It is just important sometimes to repeat, that such things are technobabble and star wars physics, and real spaceflight much more than just that. If you would know what you can do with real tethers in spaceflight (like catapulting stuff around, raising or lowering the orbit of your spacecraft), such mining vessels look not very creative. :lol:

Last edited:

thetraceur

Reaction score
A centrifuge helps keeping stellar attitude, but it doesn't keep altitude. You actually can't decay from geostationary orbit, like you can from the ISS. You can just leave your position there and be in Newtons hands.

That is all a bit much Star Wars Physics there, so better be careful with the adjective "real". It is sure looking detailed and in itself maybe logical, but it has no relation to reality. And I can agree, it would make a nice add-on, even if it would be misplaced inside orbiters realistic simulation. We have less realistic candidates here happily as well.

It is just important sometimes to repeat, that such things are technobabble and star wars physics, and real spaceflight much more than just that. If you would know what you can do with real tethers in spaceflight (like catapulting stuff around, raising or lowering the orbit of your spacecraft), such mining vessels look not very creative. :lol:

Yeah Dead Space is more real than most games, but not exactly realistic, though in some aspects. But after seeing ships from Star Wars and Halo I thought this would make a nice addon too. You could implement the ship in Orbiter, but maybe don't be able to too all the things that the game portray. xP Just flying the ship in Orbiter and placing it in geostationary orbit over planets would be neat.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
14 trillion tons are also not that much in the real universe:

[math]1.4 \cdot 10^{13} \left [ kg \right ] = 5 \cdot 10^{3} \left [ \frac{kg}{m^3} \right ] \cdot \frac {4}{3} \pi \cdot r^3 \Rightarrow r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3 \cdot 1.4}{4 \cdot 5 \cdot \pi } \cdot {\frac{10^{13}}{10^3}}} \left [{\sqrt[3]{\frac{kg \cdot m^{3}}{kg}}} \right ] = 874.35 \left [ m \right ] [/math]
A nice medium size asteroid.

thetraceur

Reaction score
14 trillion tons are also not that much in the real universe:

[math]1.4 \cdot 10^{13} \left [ kg \right ] = 5 \cdot 10^{3} \left [ \frac{kg}{m^3} \right ] \cdot \frac {4}{3} \pi \cdot r^3 \Rightarrow r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3 \cdot 1.4}{4 \cdot 5 \cdot \pi } \cdot {\frac{10^{13}}{10^3}}} \left [{\sqrt[3]{\frac{kg \cdot m^{3}}{kg}}} \right ] = 874.35 \left [ m \right ] [/math]
A nice medium size asteroid.

I'm not really good at math ( I'm only 16, so. ), I'm very interested in space though. Two things, first, it's 14 trillion KILOtons, maybe I wote wrong before or something, but it's Kilotons, not tons, and second, I'm just wondering, what kind of material are you counting the mass for, I mean, different planets got different kind of mass right? ;O Maybe you took that in calculation, but I'm just curious. C:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Kilotons are no measure of mass, but a measure of explosive energy equivalent.

One ton is already one Megagram.

And if it is meant to be one million times more (I actually used kg instead of tons), just multiply the result by 100.

So you mean 14 exagram and a 80 km radius chunk...

(I don't want to imagine how orbiter reacts to such a huge mass)

The density is just the coarse average for a rocky asteroid or rocky planet, 5000 kg per cubic meter.

Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not really good at math ( I'm only 16, so. ), I'm very interested in space though. Two things, first, it's 14 trillion KILOtons, maybe I wote wrong before or something, but it's Kilotons, not tons, and second, I'm just wondering, what kind of material are you counting the mass for, I mean, different planets got different kind of mass right? ;O Maybe you took that in calculation, but I'm just curious. C:
Wow 14 trillion kt. That would split the Earth in half.

thetraceur

Reaction score
"kilotonkiloton, enhet för massa, vikt, med beteckningen kt. 1 kiloton = 1 000 ton = 106 kg. Kiloton förekommer även som enhet för kärnladdningars energiinnehåll; 1 kt innebär då den energi som utvecklas vid explosion av 1 kt trotyl, dvs. ca 4 TJ (terajoule) = 4 · 1012 J (joule)." That's the Swedish definition of the word, it says that it is a word for mass and weight and that 1 Kiloton = 1000 ton. And yes I know that it is used to meassure explosive energy, for example the most powerful hydrogen-bomb ever tested out had a power of 50 Megaton TNT. ( Though Megaton which is more than Kiloton ) but yes I know about that, and kiloton can be used to describe mass and weight.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
"kilotonkiloton, enhet för massa, vikt, med beteckningen kt. 1 kiloton = 1 000 ton = 106 kg. Kiloton förekommer även som enhet för kärnladdningars energiinnehåll; 1 kt innebär då den energi som utvecklas vid explosion av 1 kt trotyl, dvs. ca 4 TJ (terajoule) = 4 · 1012 J (joule)." That's the Swedish definition of the word, it says that it is a word for mass and weight and that 1 Kiloton = 1000 ton. And yes I know that it is used to meassure explosive energy, for example the most powerful hydrogen-bomb ever tested out had a power of 50 Megaton TNT. ( Though Megaton which is more than Kiloton ) but yes I know about that, and kiloton can be used to describe mass and weight.
Your math is wrong. 1000 tons is equal to precisely 907,184.74 kilograms. Yes the prefix kilo is for 1000, but I never heard of anyone use it in those terms. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, it can not, it would be an informal unit of mass. Just like supertankers, elephants or automobiles.

Prefix + ton is limited to energy equivalent use. What is in a Swedish dictionary doesn't matter in that context. You won't read that a Nimitz class carrier has 105 kiloton displacement, it has 105,000 tons displacement.

if you would read Megatons in the context of a near Earth asteroid, it wouldn't be its mass, but the energy equivalent in tons TNT of the predicted impact.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
No, it can not, it would be an informal unit of mass. Just like supertankers, elephants or automobiles.

Prefix + ton is limited to energy equivalent use. What is in a Swedish dictionary doesn't matter in that context. You won't read that a Nimitz class carrier has 105 kiloton displacement, it has 105,000 tons displacement.

if you would read Megatons in the context of a near Earth asteroid, it wouldn't be its mass, but the energy equivalent in tons TNT of the predicted impact.
The Earth is equal to 1,000,000,000,000,000 elephants. :lol:

(No offense taken to you thetraceur, just a little joke. :tiphat:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Your math is wrong. 1000 tons is equal to precisely 907,184.74 kilograms. Yes the prefix kilo is for 1000, but I never heard of anyone use it in those terms. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

1 (metric) ton = 1000 kg
1 long ton = 1016 kg
1 short ton = 907.2 kg

The short ton is actually only used by a small tribe of technophobes on the distant side of the ocean. ;) They keep on clinging to it, because it makes their ships more impressive...while others use the bigger units because it was a cool way for cheating against the Washington treaty.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
1 (metric) ton = 1000 kg
1 long ton = 1016 kg
1 short ton = 907.2 kg

The short ton is actually only used by a small tribe of technophobes on the distant side of the ocean. ;)
Google has failed me. Cursed calculator. :facepalm:

I should be using my brain than relying on technology. Lol. It was actually common sense, but when he put all those conversions I was confused.

Last edited:

thetraceur

Reaction score
Saw another issue with the 14 trillion kilotons, that's the total mass from all the planetcracking, which is 34, so divide 14 trillion kilotons with 34."Thanks" for the help guys..

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Saw another issue with the 14 trillion kilotons, that's the total mass from all the planetcracking, which is 34, so divide 14 trillion kilotons with 34."Thanks" for the help guys..
I'm confused. What are you asking from us?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm confused. What are you asking from us?

I suspect "make the bloody spacecraft add-on and stop joking about physical units"

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hehe, while we're in fantasyland, are there any meshes and/or textures for spaceship Earendel lying around :) ? (i promise not to be picky about physical units)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:blink: ...Whoa. I'm still getting over how massive it is. :p

Still, although something may seem realistic, it might really be an illusion; a good art department can make anything realistic-looking. Silence in space makes it realistic-sounding; zero-G in space, without all that flying and zooming as in Star Wars, makes it seem to move in a realistic manner. But when it comes down to it, it might turn out to be impossible. The numbers don't add up and the physics just don't work, and without realistic physics, it's just realistic aesthetics.

Which is good! Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm not saying it's bad, but you should be cautious to believe that something can exist in our heavily restricted reality.

At times, dreams can can be more realistic than reality.

Edit: Also, very large ship meshes will have problems in Orbiter. The biggest I've seen so far was the Flamberge, and that got abandoned at the "untextured-mesh-with-Spacecraft3-module" stage, because it was just too hard to manage texturing and polycount.

Last edited: