Question Anybody know which base this is?

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Orbinauts,

I watched a video relating to how to EVA from XR5 and saw that it was landed at this base.....anybody know what this base is called?...I believe it is on the Moon...I might be wrong

1712061690929.png

Many thanks

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Piorun,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it, and I think I might install Lunar base Aurora instead - I believe that works with Orbiter 2016 …thanks again

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Lunar base Aurora instead - I believe that works with Orbiter 2016
A very nice addon, never updated for 2016, but I fixed it for myself long ago
Here's a quick 2016 patch (moved here)

Last edited:

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Buck,
Aw thank you so much, that’s brilliant…really appreciate it. By the way, do you ever use autopilot MFDs to land on the moon or do you land manually?

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool…I was using Pursuit MFD but prefer to come in horizontal rather than facing up or down, and I think Pursuit can’t do horizontal…anyway, I’ve been practicing with Hover MFD and getting the hang of it…just have to figure out how to set it to full stop at the target base…. Sometimes I overshoot slightly…

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
HoverMFD is very much "hands on" for an Autopilot, takes some practise, on page 3 H. speed and T. distance help.
These are "universal" Autopilots, so have there limits, but when you realise the scope of their functionality they are very impressive pieces of software.

This going way back, dgatsoulis posted some really cool challenges, if you want to "test your skills" this was one of them
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/finesse-your-lunar-landings.28465/post-439269

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks a bit confusing for me to be honest....what I'm doing is putting Horizontal speed in as 0.0 but not engaging...but I'm using BurnTimeCalc MFD as well...so I usually orbit around at 1.667k....if I put this DV amount into BurnTimeCalc...it gives me the distance to do a retro burn to "hopefully" bring the XR2 over the pad...then I just switch to Nav2 capture and let the Hover MFD put me down, changing the Target Altitude to 0...so this usually helps....but thanks for your help anyway....appreciate your comments....going to install Aurora base now....cheers

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Buck,

Sorry to bother you again....just wanted to ask a quick question regarding Aurora base.....do I just need to download the old Dan Steph Aurora file for 2006...install....and then add your zip file that you kindly sent me?....I'm sure I did this but still looks a bit weird....and also, I can't seem to target it in Orbit MFD although it will show on Map MFD...and I notice when I go to Ctl-I to find base info, it doesn't have a VOR LLB either....am I doing something wrong?...sorry to ask...any advice on installing would be appreciated....

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have landed manually many times, really not that hard once you get the hang of it, but
Cool…I was using Pursuit MFD but prefer to come in horizontal rather than facing up or down, and I think Pursuit can’t do horizontal…anyway, I’ve been practicing with Hover MFD and getting the hang of it…just have to figure out how to set it to full stop at the target base…. Sometimes I overshoot slightly…
With HoverMFD, I find that as I approach in the last few km, slowly drop the brake rate percentage, maybe 10 % every couple or so km. That forces the horizontal velocity down as you approach, ending up about 10% the last few hundred meters. You should then land right on target.

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you Arvil...I appreciate your advice...I shall try that next time....cheers

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks guys....appreciate your comments....I'm sure it will all come together....cheers