Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Sorry about that gattis; i don't know what to do. Hey, you guys can check out this SLS Lego model I designed with a program on my computer. Enjoy!

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well On the tri Athlete. On the real one. There are attachment slots so you can attach a shovel, pick up tool,drill,...

So Should I add those attachment point. I can make those attachments as vessels.

right now all 6 limbs are controlled the same. But If I allow the user to control one then you could move that limb to pick up something,....

BUT then you would need to move that arm to the other setting so it will be same.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
If you really want to go crazy, I guess you could add shovels, picks, drills and such, but that might be a little too much for Orbiter. I mean, the point is to make it drive and work in a motion sense. Putting accessories on it, unless you want a full out addon, is a little over the top. I would just have the astronauts dig the surface. It would be more efficient.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Also, here is another picture for the Orion Mars Mission concept I have thought of. The MTV (Mars Transfer Vehicle) is in the distance, landing on the Martian Surface. (MTV is very low quality in graphics.)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice image. Where is it from? Well right now The Triathlete will rise/up and lower the base. There is an attachment point in the center to pick up pallets,....

The one issue I get get fixed is the thrust of the ATHLETE. When moving forward or backward speed is about 2 but When I rotate the wheels the speed slows or stops.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great.

So if you add these 2 lines you get issues?
Code:
  PAYLOAD Fair2 slspayloadfair1 slspayloadfair1 0 0 69.65 1020.0 0.0 1.0
  PAYLOAD Fair1 slspayloadfair2 slspayloadfair2 0 0 69.65 1020.0 0.0 1.0

In the cfg for both is:
Code:
; === Configuration file for vessel class IUS ===
ClassName = SLSPAYLOADFAIR1
Module = Mayfly
Meshname = SLSPAYLOADFAIR1
Mass = 5000

LifeTime = 120.0
MaxCamDistance = 50000.0
EnableFocus = FALSE

CrossSections = 18.7 9.4 4.6 
RotResistance = 0.7 0.7 0.3
Inertia = 5.8 4.8 1.1
except the mesh name for the other one.

I guess you have the mayfly?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
I tried to get it, but it did not seem to make any significant difference. How do you download it? Am I missing a step?

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :cheers:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here:[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2155"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2155[/ame]

Happy Thanksgiving

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does any one to put together a manual for this:

I am working a new tower. I will make new fairings to Francisdrake orion

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
Gattispilot, You've forgot the Shuttle SRB's within the SLS as to why within the addon itself the Boosters of the vehicle are Aerojet SRBs.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Gattispilot, You've forgot the Shuttle SRB's within the SLS as to why within the addon itself the Boosters of the vehicle are Aerojet SRBs.
?
Do you mean this:
Advanced boosters

NASA will eventually switch from Shuttle-derived five-segment SRBs to upgraded boosters[28] These may be of either the solid rocket or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_rocket_booster"]liquid rocket booster[/ame] type.[11] NASA originally planned to incorporate these advanced boosters in the Block IA configuration of SLS, but this was superseded by Block IB, which will continue to use five-segment SRBs combined with a new upper stage,[29] after it was determined that the Block IA configuration would result in high acceleration which would be unsuitable for Orion and could result in a costly redesign of the Block I core.[30] Prior to the selection of Block IB, NASA intended to begin the Advanced Booster Competition,[3][31][32] which would have selected an advanced booster in 2015. Though NASA is no longer planning on selecting new boosters for the first flights of SLS,[33] competitors for the SLS Block II advanced booster include:

• [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerojet"]Aerojet[/ame], in partnership with [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teledyne"]Teledyne Brown[/ame], with a domestic version of an uprated Soviet NK-33 [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOX"]LOX[/ame]/RP-1 engine, an engine derived from the NK-15 initially designed to lift the unsuccessful N-1 Soviet moonshot vehicle, with each engine's thrust increased from 394,000 lbf (1.75 MN) to at least 500,000 lbf (2.2 MN) at sea level. This booster would be powered by eight AJ-26-500 engines,[34] or four AJ-1E6 engines[35] On February 14, 2013, NASA awarded a $23.3 million 30-month contract Aerojet to build a full-scale 550,000-pound thrust class main injector and thrust chamber to be used in the advanced booster.[36] Two standard Aerojet AJ-26 engines, together producing a combined 735,000 lbf (3.27 MN) of sea level thrust, successfully lifted the Antares rocket in 2013.[37]
So the boosters should be the Aerojet style?

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Well, there's also the Pyrios by Rocketdyne/Dynetics, which would be a booster with two F-1B motors, and ATK's upgraded SRBs on the proposed possibly Advanced Booster contender list. It's still all way in the future, nothing has been locked down for Block II.

Personally, I like Pyrios ... Two 8MN F-1Bs in each booster? What's not to like?! Ahh, pipe dreams.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne and Dynetics, with a booster design known as "Pyrios", which would use two F-1B engines derived from the F-1 LOX/RP-1 engine that powered the first stage of the Saturn V vehicle in the Apollo program. In 2012, it was determined that if the dual-engined Pyrios booster was selected for the SLS Block II, the payload could be 150 metric tons (t) to Low Earth Orbit, 20 t more than the baseline 130 t to LEO for SLS Block II.[38] In 2013, it was reported that in comparison to the F-1 engine that it is derived from, the F-1B engine is to have improved efficiency, be more cost effective and have fewer engine parts.[39] Each F-1B is to produce 1,800,000 lbf (8.0 MN) of thrust at sea level, an increase over the 1,550,000 lbf (6.9 MN) of thrust of the initial F-1 engine.[40]
ATK proposed an advanced SRB named "Dark Knight" with more energetic propellant, a lighter composite case, and other design improvements to reduce costs and improve performance. ATK states it provides "capability for the SLS to achieve 130 t payload with significant margin" when combined with a Block II core stage containing five RS-25 engines. However, the advanced SRB would achieve no more than 113 t to low earth orbit with the current core stage with four RS-25 engines.[3][38][41]

Christopher Crumbly, manager of NASA’s SLS advanced development office in January 2013 commented on the booster competition, "The F-1 has great advantages because it is a gas generator and has a very simple cycle. The oxygen-rich staged combustion cycle [Aerojet’s engine] has great advantages because it has a higher specific impulse. The Russians have been flying ox[ygen]-rich for a long time. Either one can work. The solids [of ATK] can work."[42]

I guess you could just change a mesh? and have cfg for different boosters. Any one for that? Not sure what the booster mesh would look like?

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
For the Rockdyne/Dynetic dual F-1B, this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_C-3#Pyrios states that the booster would use the same attachment points as the 5-segment SRB of Block I and IB, and be 5.5m in diameter. So that's what? About a 50% increase in diameter from the SRBs? A bit bigger mesh with 2 bells underneath would do it.

ATK's advanced booster would probably look the same, since it's improvements are more energetic fuels and lighter materials.

Haven't a clue about the Aerojet clustered booster, or what it would look like.

EDIT

Found this for the F-1B booster. Not much to go on, but at least there's an artistic impression of what the SLS Block II stack would look like with this booster.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/08/dynetics-reporting-outstanding-progress-on-f-1b-rocket-engine/

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I will see what I can do I guess the F-1b booster is the same height just 5.5 meters in diameter and 2 nozzles? It is painted differently also

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you have the fairing meshes with the **CARGO** inserted into the name kicking about? I may have missed the download with them, but in the 1.1 download, most of the 105t and 130t scenarios call for these panels, which are missing in the meshes folder.

Michael_Chr

Reaction score
Hi John...Back in business. I can do the manual for the SLS as well. To good an addon not to have manual for it. Could you please provide a zip file in here containing all the latest stuff that need to go in there. I can see that an Altair version also has been discussed in here is that part of the package as well? Same goes for the Chariot ? About packaging. I think as separate packages as possible that makes sense. In that way people know what they download i.e. no hidden treasures within one download and also no need to duplicate the same content over more than one package...Just my 2c. And Off course..."advertising" for other downloads within this current framework as well as Francis Drakes Orion in the manuals is a given :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks
Try this: for the latest I renamed some of the stages.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/SLS1.2.zip
Not sure which meshes are missing?

Here is what the new tower will look like.
SLSTOWERNEW1_zps234c4834.jpg

And new booster
SLSBOOSTERS_zps018b6082.jpg