AMSO manual landings

gimp1992

Reaction score
Is there anyway to have the pitch lader visable in the window when doing manual landings? I like using the CDR's view but I can't tell whether I have plus or negative pitch, so even a mark on the LPD scale showing where zero pitch is would be helpfull. So I end up crahing alot. Please doin't tell me to use F8 to leave the cocpit view, I know that.

Matte

Reaction score
simply look at your forward velocity in the little white line on the bottom of the screen. when it stops increasing or decreasing, you know you are near 0 pitch...

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Huh?

Huh? you guys? Id like to know what you guys are talking about a bit more clearly because I love AMSO and Im into anything manual.

Questions I have:
To gimp1992
1. What is the CDR? I cant find it anywhere in the AMSO docs. Is it the CSM or LM's docking windows or the default view in the virtual 2d cockpit?

2 What is the LPD scale exactly? Is it the little white lines on the LEM default view?

To Matte:
3. What little white line in what forward velocity view? I dont have a forward velocity viewer do I?

I know this is a terribly newbish thing to do but I cant stand not knowing something. Can you AMSO "pros" explain these features for us "greenies".

I use the onboard AP for powered decent. This thread is about NOT using that and I would LOVE to know how can you share?

Thanks in advance

gimp1992

Reaction score
The CDR is the Commanders view (alt cntr down arrow) the LPD scale is the Landing Point Designator the lines on Commanders Window, actually in the real LM it was two lines one on the inside pane of glass and the other on the outer pane, when the comader superimposed thes two lines then he could read the LPD angle generated by the computer. The white line is the line at the bottom left of the screen you will see it if you press k to initiate PDI and you'll see the forward velocity window if you press insert or delete during the final landing phase.

I know about the window but trying to null forward velosity with out some referance frame is difficult.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Gimp,

I feel your pain! I have a hard time knowing which way I am pitched and how far. The white info bar only tells you if you are moving forward, and how fast. I actually find landing easier from an exterior view. Another trick is to hit the L key to level up LM - then you at least know you are starting your adjustments from 0 pitch.

It would be nice if AMSO could duplicate the LM's attitude instruments (they appear on the VC for cosmetic effect) but I wouldn't have a clue how (or IF) that can be done in Orbiter. Still, AMSO is getting very close in quality to the commercially available Eagle Lander - pretty amazing for freeware.

Matte

Reaction score
it seems you have never practiced completely visual landings with Flight Simulator :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gimp1992

Reaction score
I have but it is always nice to have a refernce. I mean if all the Apollo CDR's had one I think it would help if we also had one.